Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OG Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It plays my games once in a while. I cleaned the lense and the cd itself. It's been like this for awhile and its getting worse. How much do you think it'll cost to get it fixed? Is it worth it? I paid $300 for that thing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
hell, why not try buying a new one, switch up the insides of the ps2 and return it saying it didn't work but that you want a refund instead of an exchange...haha, just an idea :)
illegal as hell tho

·
Registered
332 Posts
why not ask a retailer or the manufacturer about service.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
DSCLegend94 said:
Oh yeah there's a "clicking" sound when the ps2 is trying to read the disc.
had the same problem on mine.
I took my PS2 apart & saw that the lens was covered in minute dust. (i even tried one of those lens cleaners like 5 times)

took rubbing alcohol & Qtip, cleaned the lens...& other areas that were dirty. closed it back up & everything works like new again.

& another way to check is to pop in a CD, if it plays a regular cd, you know the lens is dirty.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
i think its something with the early PS2s. mine has been doing its "i'll play when i want to" thing for about a year now. started maybe 3-4 months after i got the thing. my friends' play stations are doing the same thing only they got them after me so they its taking them a while to catch up to mine. mine is to the point where it wont play "blue-backed" cds any more.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I know it might be dishonest but I would do what DaTimez said, because it is going back to the manufacturer regardless if they are fixing it for you or it is a store return. You wont have the hastle and you'll be playing games on your new console in a metter of an hour, where as repairing the broken one could take weeks/months!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dude, throw that thing away and get a X-Box.

·
Registered
685 Posts
just curious does it do this to all of your game? or only the "blue" discs, my PS2 does this to the blue discs but my silver discs play just fne.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
lately, SONY has gone down IMO

GREAT CONCEPTS/IDEAS/GRAFX

BUT WORKMANSHIP? :( :mad:

I've got one of those fancy dancy Sony CD (X-Plod series I think) with the remote, power flip down face, cool grafx, programmable memory (names, etc) and all that.

PLays Cds when it wants to, then if you buy a BRAND NEW CD, you have to break it in on another CD player first.

Pissed me off...bought 5 cd's wouldnt play none of them! WTF?
Sony has gone the way of our beloved Honda IMHO

Newer technology and features, but the older models outperform the new in dependability (i.e. TL/Cl trannies):rolleyes:

sorry, had to vent

·
Registered
193 Posts
DaTimez420 said:
hell, why not try buying a new one, switch up the insides of the ps2 and return it saying it didn't work but that you want a refund instead of an exchange...haha, just an idea :)
illegal as hell tho
Well i work at Electronic Boutique and that idea is a good one. But we scan the serials when we sell them, and they get printed on the reciept. So when you return it, it will have a different serial. (But you can also switch the serials, just take the sticker off CAREFULLY, but I didn't say that. :D )

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sony would repair it with reasonable price if you've never took apart or moded your PS2... If you did, then I guess swapping is the only way for you... But I really think you shouldn't do that... You'll get into big trouble if you get caught.

Leon, IMO Sony has never made a good audio product ever since they established their brand image... My friend's top of the line Sony HU sounds a lot worse then my Eclipse(he even said it out loud himself), which is only the above the average model... Sony is great with Monitors and Video Products, but audio just isn't their field... Great concepts, but poor sound and low product quality...

·
OG Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It won't play either blue or silver back games. How do I open up the ps2, I want to see if I could clean up the lenses. By the way I have everything SONY from a 27in TV, home system, and car MDHeadUnit and changer to a MD walkman, and the only thing that I ever had problem with is this PS2. So far sony has been good to me....till now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing...

I'm having the same exact problem with my PS2! It seemed like it used to play "when it wanted to" but it has really gone downhill lately. It barely works now, with the blue backed discs (CD ROM's)or the silver ones (DVD ROM's).

I was thinking of taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it because I heard from a few people that works.... but I was looking at the PS2 tonight and cant figure out how the hell to take it apart! I dont see a single screw or anything to take out. How did you get the damn thing open to clean??!

I heard that the dust gets inside and builds up. it can screw things up by getting on the lens and also on the magnets that are used to balance the CD while its being read.(SO i hear...)

Any help is appreciated...
Thanks

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
DSCLegend94 said:
It won't play either blue or silver back games. How do I open up the ps2, I want to see if I could clean up the lenses. By the way I have everything SONY from a 27in TV, home system, and car MDHeadUnit and changer to a MD walkman, and the only thing that I ever had problem with is this PS2. So far sony has been good to me....till now.
tv's are one thing...ESP/CD/DVD is another:(

they are still cool w/ trinitron, for now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts