Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into buying a game system and would like first hand info on those who own the systems. also, would I be able to connect either systems to my cable modem to play on the net?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
PS2 all the way. They will soon be having a PS2 ethernet adapter and 56k modem available in the US. I got a Linux kit for my PS2 it has a keyboard, mouse, ethernet adapter, and hooks up to my computer monitor. The kit costs $200. :)

An X-Box is just a poorly designed Pentium III PC with an NVidia video card and the joysticks using up the USB slots.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have both the ps, ps2, and xbox

and i say xbox all the way. the hardware and specifications on it crush those of the PS2.

Sony is threatening to relase the PS3 if the xbox does better than the ps2...

plus xbox has the geforce 3 card (better than most computers people have) and an 8gig harddrive, the dvd player is better than the ps2 dvd player, and it comes with the ehternet adapter already built in (for broadband when it goes online this summer)
4 controller ports and you can rip your own music tracks onto it. plus a lot of games that were once "PS2-only" are starting to make theri way on the xbox b/c it has more potential (aka grand theft auto 3, metal gear solid x, etc)

ps2 comes with no connections, you have to buy all the network stuff which costs a lot, only has 2 controller ports, you need memory cards for everything, has a slow noisy dvd player, and many game companies complain about making games for ps2 because it's too difficult. the ps2 uses some unique emotion engine that forces game developers to adapt to it to make games, where as many companies are starting to go towards xbox because it's much easier to program and create games (seeing how it's from microsoft).

i mean, ps2 is good, but when next to xbox, you get sooooo much more for the same amount of money.

one last thing, xbox=virtually no loading time

:D

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Just so you know, if you go with XBox from Micosoft expect crashes, as it already has done. Every game relies on the hard drive inside, which is not reliable and they have nothing to prevent shock to the standard WDC 3.5" drive so that rules off carrying the XBox to a friends house, unless you pack it extremely well everytime.

Also, the video card is not a GeForce 3, it's a modified NVidia chip based on the GeForce 4 which meets all the specs of the PS2 but also has bump mapping and 2x's anti-aliasing (which I must say are nice to have). With that the Xbox produces almost as good graphics as a PC now. The XBox is a PIII/750 based processor on an Intel motherboard specifically designed for the Redmond Beast by Intel. Being that it's a standard Intel PIII chip it runs very hot, add in the additional hard drive and the two fans in the XBox are a extreme necessity.

Additionally the RAM is standard SDRam, 64Mb, and to the best of my knowledge there is no ethernet adapter included in the XBox nor is there a modem.

The XBox runs on a modified version of the Windows NT kernel and uses a Fat32 File system that has been encrypted to prevent tampering.

The PS2 claims of being harder to program are due to poor APIs from Sony. They have been releasing new APIs constantly not to mention the recent Linux port to the Playstation 2 allows hobbysts to port other things to the PS2 processor and in turn write some PS2 games :) I am hoping to get my Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo and Mame (Arcade emulator) on a CD to just drop into my PS2 and play :) Then I have a PS2 that also plays Nintendo, SNES, etc... :D

You may have as well seen recent reductions cross seas in the price of the XBox. This is because the **** thing was selling and to this point today XBox has never come close to outselling the PS2.

Also there have been many complaints about the size of both the console itself and the joysticks. Apparently the joystics are cumbersome and difficult to use, but I suspect this is only in small hands. The XBox itself is quite hefty as well, but this shouldn't be a concern since it can't really be carried anywhere.

If you want full hardware breakdowns and current stats on how the public is taking to both systems check out Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com). That site has reviews on all the latest consoles and they break down each one by taking them apart with pictures and all. Really neat stuff.

Personally I feel the PS2 is the best all around system being that you get a PS2, PS, CD-player and DVD player all in one The GameCube has the best graphics of the bunch and the XBox trails behind.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
word...im with PS2 all the way too. but ive heard you can use PS2 controllers with xbox, no? still doesn't change my opinion though.

G

·
i have played both

the xbox has awesome i mean spectacular graphics
halo what an amazing game
project gotham was an ok racing game but the graphics were great...my only problem was it needed more cars and ability to upgrade

ps2 hey cant complain about selection
GT3 one of the best games in the world IMO
plus you can play origional PS1 games and stuff

so if you want to wait for more games to come out that have stellar graphics choose the XBOX

if you want a whole lotta games but will sacrafice the raw power go with the PS2

·
Registered
685 Posts
well I have all three major systems right now, and IMO it comes down to what you prefer, the PS2 has the 3rd party licencing I mean it has big names like square, and EA, jus to name a few, plus it has killer graphix (any one who doubts that, play Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty). True it doesn't have 4 controller ports like the other Major systems but I dont see that as a "big" downfall. Another positive of the PS2 is the controller, it just feels right IMO, it has that intuitive feel to it, and it has analog sensitivity as well.
On the other hand we have the big bad X-Box, now this thing is a monster of power, if it's graphix your looking for then this is the systtem of choice, with a 720 mgz (guys correct me if I am mistaken) processor, it kiks the shiz outta the competition, and it also has a built in hard drive, kinda eliminates the use of mem cards, but then again if you wanna take your save over to a frendz house well gotta cash out for the card. On the bad side, the Box' doesn't have a lot of third party backing, I mean sure it has microsoft, but thats just one player on a biiiiig field.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I work at electronic botique and I hear this question from customers day in day out. I say look at the games, if they appeal to you, get the system that has them. After all, if a PS2 could make ice tea and hot dogs but had crappy games, I'd still get an xbox. and alot of the times its name brand. People say dreamcast sucks, blah blah, well it didn't. It had much better support in japan and other countries, just like the saturn. It just depends on a LOT of things. The only reason gamecube sales went up is because of resident evil. Like i said, ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAMES!

G

·
Got to finish up on what some were saying. The Pentium III 750 is actualy a P3 750-M. It is the mobile version of the cpu which has slower speed cache and half as much. It's kinda in between a P3 and a Celeron 2. A X-Box is about = to a PC with a GeForce4 Ti4200 and a Athlon 1400.

I would personally go with a PS2... the games are way better, and they are going to continue to be better, because people that want good racing games are going to buy the PS2.

·
Registered
282 Posts
xbox comes with an ethernet adaptor installed into the back for quick connection to broadband wires

·
Registered
847 Posts
PS2 all the way~

30 million PS2 sold world wide
3.5~4.0 million Xbox sold world wide
4 million Game Cube sold world wide

Japanese Players hate Xbox

90% of good games come from Japanese companies

so if you own a Japanese Game Company, which platform would you support??:p

Plus, SoNet has already launched in Japan, with promise of US SoNet going to beta testing in end of August who cares about build in ethernet port if there's not enough support?? FF XI is actually a successful product, and with Capcom's Auto Modellista(online auto racing game in Initial D style) Xbox is going to dissapear in the gaming industry's holy ground, Japan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
XBox more for your money

I have researched this issue for a long time, and this is my take. I just want to defend the Xbox, because there are so many rumors out there that are very biased and untrue, that keeps people from buying the XBox.

No, the Xbox does not have crashing/overheat problems. When I got mine, I played it for 18 hours straight with no problems. Controllers are fine unless youre a six year old. I feel it is very solid and comfortable. Because of the shape, it lets your hand wrap around it and gives you a solid relaxed feeling. If you dont like it, get the smaller version of the controller. Simple as that. I tell you, controller is not an issue! Modchips issue: Yes, there are modchips for the XBox. One modchip out, and 2 or more in development.

Onto my point:

I dont want to make this a console war thread, but from my experience, and the outlook of things to come, get the Xbox. For one, i feel the ps2 is already outdated in terms of performance. Sure, they have more games, but then again, how many games do you really want? Plus, you want quality games. From the last E3, the future of Xbox looks very promising. Exclusive games coming out for the XBox are very high quality compared to the ones coming out for the PS2.

Examples: Halo 2, Project Ego, Brute Force, House of the Dead 3, Panser Dragoon, Ninja Gaiden... so many more to remember(estimated more than 24 exclusive to XBox)... 300 games currently in development, 200 games by Christmas.

And if you take a closer look, for the same price, you get a hard drive, broadband connectivity, 5.1 Dolby Digital(Yes, it makes a difference, try playing Halo on a 5 speaker setup, you will be blown away!), hardware specs that makes the PS2 look like a last generation console, the choice is easy. Remember, you have to pay extra for those on the PS2(hard drive, modem).

I loved the PS2 when it came out, but if you're going to buy a console today, look at what the future holds. Microsoft will not quit until they win, and everyone knows that. They're putting in 2 billion in the next 5 years to support the Xbox, so you know it wont end up like Dreamcast. You know with all that money, they can afford to lose money for now(Big rumor on fatwallet.com that they are going to cut the Xbox price to $99, yes, they can afford it). They have enough money to buy off the game developers to make exclusive games for them.

The future of gaming is also online. Xbox already has Xbox Live ready to launch this fall, and is undergoing beta testing this summer. PS2 is still unsure about their online strategy.

Big difference between their online strategies: Xbox is broadband only, and PS2 will support 56k. You can look at this as positive and negative on both sides. By having all broadband, you know lag time will not be too much of an issue. With 56k, there will be big problems. But then again, not everyone has broadband.

Another point, Xbox Live uses one standard set up by Microsoft. PS2 is allowing different ISPs to set up online play. You can look at it also as a positive and negative: Microsoft again with their monopoly strategies. But standards are good, because the developers don't need to worry about designing for different platforms. As a web developer, i can relate to the importance of standards(Example: Netscape & IE, developers got sick of Netscape failing to follow standards and look at what happenned.)

Last point: Virtually every good game that comes out for the PS2 comes out on the Xbox because the hardware can easily handle it, and Microsoft can buy off the developers. Games that are exclusive to Xbox will never come out on the PS2 because of hardware limitations(Dead or Alive 3, Ninja Gaiden, Doom III possiblility).

Remember, my conclusions are based on things to come. PS2 advantages are here already, and Xbox is just on the way. You want to be safe with game availability as of now? Get the PS2. But if you're looking at the future of gaming? Get the Xbox.

As for sales between the two consoles, do you really care if PS2 or XBox sold more? I think these are the companies problems, not yours. Also, it is normal that PS2 sold a lot more than the Xbox. Afterall, it's had a whole year to sell the units without too much of a competition.

Sorry for the long post, had to defend the seldom defended XBox. No flaming please, let's have an intelligent conversation if anyone gets offended by this....

-Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
hooray an xbox fan :D

not that the PS2 is bad, i got both of them and i love it. but my xbox is like a sleeper...for now it's not doing as well as PS2 but come summer time when it's put to the test, it will roar

better start saving up those 500 bucks for PS3 if u choose to stick with PS2 :p

·
Registered
685 Posts
wow you made a lotta good points, I forgot to say in my above post my choice would be the PS2, I just like it better. but if I didnt have the money for all 3 like I did I would buy whichever system that the Final Fantasy series goes to :p . There is something to be said for the poor lil Gamecube, it is regardless of what the hardware specs point to, a POWERFUL little system, (don't believe me play Resident Evil then :D) I have never had more multiplayer fun then I have with my GC and Smash Bros Melee, that game is just fun, specially with three other friends. I dont know how important asthetics are to you but the Gamecube is also cuter then the other two :p

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
flashdragoon said:
I dont know how important asthetics are to you but the Gamecube is also cuter then the other two :p
I love the monolithic look of the PS2. My younger sister has a GameCube and when I visit she plays Super Smash Bros. It is a fun game but I really hate teh gamecube controllers and it just frustrates me using them, but that's just me :/

That is one big thing the PS2 lacks. Easy support for more than 2 joysticks. I had that 4 joystick connector for my PS1 but it was only supported in sports games like NHL 2000 and NFL 2000.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: XBox more for your money

HayreeBallz said:

1. No, the Xbox does not have crashing/overheat problems. When I got mine, I played it for 18 hours straight with no problems. Controllers are fine unless youre a six year old. I feel it is very solid and comfortable. Because of the shape, it lets your hand wrap around it and gives you a solid relaxed feeling. If you dont like it, get the smaller version of the controller. Simple as that. I tell you, controller is not an issue! Modchips issue: Yes, there are modchips for the XBox. One modchip out, and 2 or more in development.

2. I dont want to make this a console war thread, but from my experience, and the outlook of things to come, get the Xbox. For one, i feel the ps2 is already outdated in terms of performance. Sure, they have more games, but then again, how many games do you really want? Plus, you want quality games. From the last E3, the future of Xbox looks very promising. Exclusive games coming out for the XBox are very high quality compared to the ones coming out for the PS2.

Examples: Halo 2, Project Ego, Brute Force, House of the Dead 3, Panser Dragoon, Ninja Gaiden... so many more to remember(estimated more than 24 exclusive to XBox)... 300 games currently in development, 200 games by Christmas.

3. And if you take a closer look, for the same price, you get a hard drive, broadband connectivity, 5.1 Dolby Digital(Yes, it makes a difference, try playing Halo on a 5 speaker setup, you will be blown away!), hardware specs that makes the PS2 look like a last generation console, the choice is easy. Remember, you have to pay extra for those on the PS2(hard drive, modem).

4. I loved the PS2 when it came out, but if you're going to buy a console today, look at what the future holds. Microsoft will not quit until they win, and everyone knows that. They're putting in 2 billion in the next 5 years to support the Xbox, so you know it wont end up like Dreamcast. You know with all that money, they can afford to lose money for now(Big rumor on fatwallet.com that they are going to cut the Xbox price to $99, yes, they can afford it). They have enough money to buy off the game developers to make exclusive games for them.

5. The future of gaming is also online. Xbox already has Xbox Live ready to launch this fall, and is undergoing beta testing this summer. PS2 is still unsure about their online strategy.

Big difference between their online strategies: Xbox is broadband only, and PS2 will support 56k. You can look at this as positive and negative on both sides. By having all broadband, you know lag time will not be too much of an issue. With 56k, there will be big problems. But then again, not everyone has broadband.

Another point, Xbox Live uses one standard set up by Microsoft. PS2 is allowing different ISPs to set up online play. You can look at it also as a positive and negative: Microsoft again with their monopoly strategies. But standards are good, because the developers don't need to worry about designing for different platforms. As a web developer, i can relate to the importance of standards(Example: Netscape & IE, developers got sick of Netscape failing to follow standards and look at what happenned.)

6. Last point: Virtually every good game that comes out for the PS2 comes out on the Xbox because the hardware can easily handle it, and Microsoft can buy off the developers. Games that are exclusive to Xbox will never come out on the PS2 because of hardware limitations(Dead or Alive 3, Ninja Gaiden, Doom III possiblility).

Remember, my conclusions are based on things to come. PS2 advantages are here already, and Xbox is just on the way. You want to be safe with game availability as of now? Get the PS2. But if you're looking at the future of gaming? Get the Xbox.

7. As for sales between the two consoles, do you really care if PS2 or XBox sold more? I think these are the companies problems, not yours. Also, it is normal that PS2 sold a lot more than the Xbox. Afterall, it's had a whole year to sell the units without too much of a competition.

8. Sorry for the long post, had to defend the seldom defended XBox. No flaming please, let's have an intelligent conversation if anyone gets offended by this....

-Mike
1. I saw a few Xbox hard froze at comdex last year, you can't image how funny the worker's face is whenever that happens:p

2. Remember 3DO, Sega Saturn, N64?? They were all superior than PSone, but they lost~ Games are what defines a console's future, not the hardware. Yes, Xbox has a lot of games, but they are mainly catered to US players. Players from other continents think a lot differently and are not impressed by those. Beside, cars in gotham racing project looks over polished because of the nature of nVidia chipset, while cars in GT3 looks right:cool:

3. Ain't that always the Sony way:p They do that on all electronics~ This is where I agree with you, Sony definitely sucks in this field

4. I highly doubt that they will cut it down to $99 when they are still loosing money even on today's price. Yes, they will have to cut it to the $199 margin to compete with PS2, but they can't make up the difference by selling games like PS2 does right now.

5. I don't think it's a bad thing supporting both 56k and broadband. Afterall, they can still kick you off the server if they feel you are too laggy. Having different network is not definitely a bad thing since developers can then cater their server to different types of games. And like AOL, some people prefer to have their little own community.

6. There are also many PS2 exclusives that will never go to Xbox, including big hits such as final fantasy and stuff. Don't forget that whenever they have a crossplatform game, they usually show it with PS2:)

7. Yes, we should care. Because this really matters a lot to developers.

8. roger:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
i don't knoe wat to say... but this is wat i knoe... X-Box is good for Graphics wise and Ps2 is good for gaming wise... I'm a freaking FAn of RPG... yes FF10 and i'm a fan of FF as well love playing old school games such as FF7... think tat was the best... And who the heck is to cop SILENT HILL FROM PS2 HUH... seirously... PS2 should tell Bill Gates To stay the F U C K off Ps2's company ****

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
DTMM4Legend said:
i don't knoe wat to say... but this is wat i knoe... seirously... PS2 should tell Bill Gates To stay the F U C K off Ps2's company ****
EXACTLY... I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. I saw a few Xbox hard froze at comdex last year, you can't image how funny the worker's face is whenever that happens

2. Remember 3DO, Sega Saturn, N64?? They were all superior than PSone, but they lost~ Games are what defines a console's future, not the hardware. Yes, Xbox has a lot of games, but they are mainly catered to US players. Players from other continents think a lot differently and are not impressed by those. Beside, cars in gotham racing project looks over polished because of the nature of nVidia chipset, while cars in GT3 looks right

3. Ain't that always the Sony way They do that on all electronics~ This is where I agree with you, Sony definitely sucks in this field

4. I highly doubt that they will cut it down to $99 when they are still loosing money even on today's price. Yes, they will have to cut it to the $199 margin to compete with PS2, but they can't make up the difference by selling games like PS2 does right now.

5. I don't think it's a bad thing supporting both 56k and broadband. Afterall, they can still kick you off the server if they feel you are too laggy. Having different network is not definitely a bad thing since developers can then cater their server to different types of games. And like AOL, some people prefer to have their little own community.

6. There are also many PS2 exclusives that will never go to Xbox, including big hits such as final fantasy and stuff. Don't forget that whenever they have a crossplatform game, they usually show it with PS2

7. Yes, we should care. Because this really matters a lot to developers.

8. roger
1. I still have to see this with my own eyes. I'm sure if a system gets to be on 24-7 this can happen. Abuse any machine, it will do just that. As from my experience, no problems, and I'm pretty sure i use my xbox more than the average user(hours and hours of play and watching movies).

2. Yes, it is all about the games. And Xbox has the games... And all the money.... remember, 3DO, Sega Saturn, N64, does not have the money that Microsoft can spend. Microsoft will keep spending money until they are on top. If that means buying off the developers, they will. And that means more games, better games, overall.... And to top it off with its hardware specs with better games, it is easy to pick the winner.

3. Agree. To further my point, in order to play Final Fantasy Online, the user had to pay $200. To play a game, I would not spend $200(hardrive + modem + game)

4. Like i said before this is possible, and it is a rumor, so i will not defend it.

5. I don't think anyone appreciates it if you get kick off the server for being too laggy. Not fair.

Also, wouldn't you want to have one universal place that shows who the Best of the Best is? As a hardcore gamer, you want to beat the best out there, and there is nothing more fullfilling knowing everyone you will ever need to play online is playing on the same platform. If there are communities, you'll always wonder cause I'm sure people won't subsribe to different services.. too expensive.

SoNet crashed for several hours when Final Fantasy Online went live. Not good. Like I said, standards can easily solve these problems.

6. PS2 exclusives like Final Fantasy might not go to Xbox, but Xbox also has games to match them. Frankly, I'm already sick of the Final Fantasy series. Nothing new. Look at Project Ego, it will revolutionalize RPGs. You can pick your destiny, play as good, or evil, and people in the game will react to you differently. Plant a seed, it will grow to a tree a few years later. Kids will imitate you if you take the good route, or people will fear you if you take the bad route. You get old, get married, if you'd like, and the story will change. Get tattoos, get fat, get muscular, depending on how you fight the enemies. This is the vision of a next generation game.

Whatever great games PS2 has, Microsoft will copy it and make it better. Microsoft has done this time and time again. It sux, but that is their formula for success.

If you name me a phenomenal PS2 game, I can name a few games that Microsoft is countering with.

7. What matters to a lot of developers is money. And money is what Microsoft have. Square is exclusive to PS2 only because Sony owns a large chunk of the company. It just shows that money can buy off developers. Microsoft can easily buy off developers. It is just a matter of time before exclusive PS2 developers start making games for the Xbox.

8. Good arguments, keep them coming. :)

Look here, decide for yourself:
IGN (Neutral Site)

Lots of Xbox mentions, rare mentions of PS2.

I am almost sure Doom III will come out for Xbox. The company's president has been hinting that Xbox is their choice if they port.
article

·
Registered
282 Posts
smoovie--smoov said:

EXACTLY... I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER.
there's nothing anybody can do about it....just face it. microsoft has begun buying off konami, the once ps2-only company and microsoft will only do more with their money to take everything away from other gaming systems.

also with silent hill 2, konami is also re-devloping metal gear solid 2 for the xbox, labeled "metal gear solid x", basically the same game, with improved graphics and extras not included in the ps2 version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.