Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
First off......

First off what the hell is a pully and where the hell is it located?!?!?!

·
Registered
139 Posts
All an underdrive pulley does is make the accessory that it's driving turn slower. So an alternator would produce less power at low speeds, it'll be harder to turn becuase your power steering pump is running slower, and you won't get as much cold air out of your AC. All only at low RPMs, a pulley won't drain your alternator, it may cause the alternator to not put out enough power and drain your battery at idle, but that's about it. I think it's a grand idea, as long as you don't mind losing a little cold air and power steering pressure. I mean hey, extra power is always welcome. Thanks for posting that, I may get a set from them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You could do it with the timing belt if you want, but it's not related. The pulleys go to your accessories that are always running and drawing power from the engine, these typically are air conditioning, alternator, and power steering pump. I don't think you'd want to underdrive your water pump though, you'd risk overheating your engine.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
Well, at least now we have an option to get pulleys.

I wouldn't mind less power steering pressure, but the AC is a tough call for a black/black car in Socal.

- ek

·
Registered
139 Posts
well, you wouldn't have to change all the pulleys if you didn't want to. But if you didn't the hard part would be to find a replacement belt that would fit correctly.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Fun92 said:
All an underdrive pulley does is make the accessory that it's driving turn slower. So an alternator would produce less power at low speeds, it'll be harder to turn becuase your power steering pump is running slower, and you won't get as much cold air out of your AC. All only at low RPMs, a pulley won't drain your alternator, it may cause the alternator to not put out enough power and drain your battery at idle, but that's about it. I think it's a grand idea, as long as you don't mind losing a little cold air and power steering pressure. I mean hey, extra power is always welcome. Thanks for posting that, I may get a set from them.
This is all true. Be aware though, that AEM pulleys have caused more serious power drain problems in TLs and that the gain on the TL was little to none and deemed a waste of money. A few TL people have had no problems with the pulleys but little to no power gain. The reason I bring up the TL is that both the TL and the legend have 3.2 Honda V6s. Of course the engines are different, but this info is just something to keep in mind.

If anybody gets the pulleys and gets a chance to go to a dyno, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
398 Posts
pulley power

only reason i say this is because for those of you, us who may have amps for their stereo, or any other battery driven comps, that slower turning alt. might not let those things work, right?
ex. fogs, amps, aftermarket ass-heaters ummm, i mean....uhh
jk

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Re: pulley power

silko82ny said:
only reason i say this is because for those of you, us who may have amps for their stereo, or any other battery driven comps, that slower turning alt. might not let those things work, right?
ex. fogs, amps, aftermarket ass-heaters ummm, i mean....uhh
jk
First off, you do run a greater risk of not having enough current being sent to your battery, ESPECIALLY on short trips, and especailly on short trips in the cold (i.e winter storms accompannied by a trip to the store for a loaf of bread) and yes, think that your battery has a COLD CRANKING AMP rating...well, if you are not charging the battery back to its full potential on your trips, well, you will be draining it....if you have less A/C, then what, you will be rolling the POWER windows down....battery drain. When its done, gotta roll the m up...more drain. This is not a bad idea for the Civics and Accords with manual windows and locks...but yo are talking about a vehicle with a multitude of electronic wizardry...you really do not want to mess with having that good ol +12VDC going where it needs to be, cuz over time, that battery is going dead, and all you gained *might* be 3 hp at the wheels.

Sorry for the long post, but I think I answered this on the old forums too...Performance/Mods section.

If you do decide to go for it...best of luck..just wanted to forewarn to prevent you from having issues later on.....

Regards

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
remeber folks its just a crank pulley for the legend which means it's going to have little or no effect on the motors its turning. if it were to be a whole kit with pulleys for all the units then that could cause exsessive power drain.

Why does everybody talk to talk insted of tring to get facts straight up from the horses mouth? We are talking legends her not TL or accord, i dont care how similar they are to each other. Nothing even comes close to the legends engine but the older RL and TL

I talked to the guy that designed it and he said you wont even notice its there. not at low rpms or at high. it only weighs 2 pounds and my type 1 weights 5 and the type 2 weights 10, id say thats a real good improvemnt. not to mention is 20% smaller in diameter. Skunk two estimates 2-3Whp horses to the wheels for every lb saved, the desinger is convined of 7-8WHP

Im going to get it its only 100 bucks and im curious, you all should too. im not everyones guiena pig and no one ever said i was, but sometimes i feel like im the only one going the extra mile to make LEGEND POWER. so if im running faster you'll all know why.

Yea im on the rag again

~Hybrid

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
"Im going to get it its only 100 bucks and im curious, you all should too. im not everyones guiena pig and no one ever said i was, but sometimes i feel like im the only one going the extra mile to make LEGEND POWER. so if im running faster you'll all know why. "

Christian...easy lil' daddy

I hope you haven't forgotten who else has gone more than the extra mile along with you for more power ....all I know is from personal experience it has been more trouble than its worth....not bad for a race app, but for some of these guys that this is their only transportation or have massive systems, NOt a good idea...that is all I am saying:p

I don't mind going all the way, but this is not for the weak at heart...know what I mean? Us... searching for extra power....indeedie. Worth a shot

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dv8 said:
remeber folks its just a crank pulley for the legend which means it's going to have little or no effect on the motors its turning. if it were to be a whole kit with pulleys for all the units then that could cause exsessive power drain.

Why does everybody talk to talk insted of tring to get facts straight up from the horses mouth? We are talking legends her not TL or accord, i dont care how similar they are to each other. Nothing even comes close to the legends engine but the older RL and TL

I talked to the guy that designed it and he said you wont even notice its there. not at low rpms or at high. it only weighs 2 pounds and my type 1 weights 5 and the type 2 weights 10, id say thats a real good improvemnt. not to mention is 20% smaller in diameter. Skunk two estimates 2-3Whp horses to the wheels for every lb saved, the desinger is convined of 7-8WHP

Im going to get it its only 100 bucks and im curious, you all should too. im not everyones guiena pig and no one ever said i was, but sometimes i feel like im the only one going the extra mile to make LEGEND POWER. so if im running faster you'll all know why.

Yea im on the rag again

~Hybrid
Calm down man. I was just presenting what I knew and trying to give out a fair warning. From personal experience and from other people I have found out that pulleys are not always the best way to go and I am sharing that knowledge with people here. Pulleys aren't the best mod for power gain, but I guess when you are dealing with a car like the legend with such a limited aftermarket you have to take what you can get. You also have to realize that $100 may be a lot of money for some people and that we have to be more picky about the mods we spend money on. To me, $100 is too much to spend on something that will generate little power gain. We can't all drop money on engine swaps, chips, nitrous, and a cool looking yellow paint job and still have coin left for pulleys.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm with you DV8, everyone else speculate all yall want..., I'm just excited about a new product which has been wanted for a long time by many of us. Now that it's here we question it? I guess me n DV8, will just have to be brave enough to try it first..along with anyone else who want's the power increase.

Zol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey, I'll be right there with you guys. Well, I will be as soon as I get my next paycheck. I don't have enough money to spend on a new chip but smaller things are a definate go, along with anything I can do myself. If anyone comes along with a do it yourself power gainer let me know and I'll try it out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts