Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a car with 2 year old tabs and haven't had renew registration for about the same amount of time.
When i renew the registration and buy new tabs, am i required to pay for the 2 years that the car wasn't renewed?? or just pay for the price as if i were to renew it when its about to expire.

I'm from washington btw, so laws may differ from other states. Anybody have any idea on this??

· 805 YO
459 Posts
I would google the Washington DMV(or whatever its called there) and find the laws there.

· Registered
899 Posts
here in California it would depend upon where the car was. If the owner at that time signed an affadavit that it was in his garage and never driven or on a public road, they would waive the 2 years. That works until the DMV finds a ticket, tow notice or expired reg warning issued while the car was on a public road. If it was on a public road in that period, you pay double for each year that the reg was late, plus normal for this year. They also will want to check the VIN and other things to be sure the car still meets US Smog regs as well as safety items. If you are buying the car they will also collect sales tax here.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the owner told me that the car has been in the garage for last 2 years cuz they were in neveda, so the car has only seen the garage, and started up twice a week.
so am i exempt for those 2 years?
i have to drive 1 hour to get home if i buy the car, wat if i get pulled over for expired tabs, is there "i just bought this car" a legit excuse?

· Registered
899 Posts
(1) man nuts to take car on long drive home when car has been stored so long. May end up with car sitting by side of road waiting for tow truck.

(2) make owner bring tags up to date before buying it, and smog it. That or trailer it home. Be sure to get an affadavit from him that the car has been in his garage for two years if the tags aren't recent.

(3) Go to your local DMV if neither of the above will work and see if they have any temp type paperwork you can take with you.

(4) Or gamble, worst case is to break down on the way home, get a ticket, have to be towed and lose the car to the wreceking yard for storage and then have to pay the fine. Best case is it works out fine, you make it home no problems and get it licensed.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was worried about it sitting in the garage for too long too, when i went to check it out they said that they start the car at least twice a week to keep it running and still do the regular oil changes every 3 months.
This car got ridiculously low miles because it was their import show car but than lost interest in it, and lack of money.

· GS Hog
7,345 Posts
Call your DMV to find out. No point guessing as a wrong guess could cost you a bit of money. If the registration is due for the last two years, either have the current owners take care of it before you transfer ownership, or have the total (including any penalties) deducted from the selling price.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
LegendGS said:
Call your DMV to find out. No point guessing as a wrong guess could cost you a bit of money. If the registration is due for the last two years, either have the current owners take care of it before you transfer ownership, or have the total (including any penalties) deducted from the selling price.
Whoa, what does it matter if "his" registration is expired? You are buying the car. You get the title from him, go to the DMV and drive it back on "your" tags. If the current tags on the car are expired it's not your problem. He is transferring ownership of the car, not the tags. As far as I know you can't transfer tags from one owner to another unless it is a personalized tag. You need to get a different tag, your own tag.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1_Hot_Legend_L said:
Whoa, what does it matter if "his" registration is expired? You are buying the car. You get the title from him, go to the DMV and drive it back on "your" tags. If the current tags on the car are expired it's not your problem. He is transferring ownership of the car, not the tags. As far as I know you can't transfer tags from one owner to another unless it is a personalized tag. You need to get a different tag, your own tag.
don't mean to be rude, but we were talkin about the license TAB not tag
that little sticker with the year that u have to buy.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1_Hot_Legend_L said:
I'm talking about the whole tag. You have to change the whole thing when you buy a car!
i know tat, but the thing i'm worried about is paying for those 2 years that the old owner didn't pay to re-register their car, and driving with expired registration, and getting a ticket.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
LegendRacer22 said:
i know tat, but the thing i'm worried about is paying for those 2 years that the old owner didn't pay to re-register their car, and driving with expired registration, and getting a ticket.
That is thier problem and not yours. It has nothing to do with you. Just buy the car, get the title, go to the DMV, put your tags on the car and drive it home!

· GS Hog
7,345 Posts
I don't think that the DMV will allow the car to be registered for the new/current year until previous years have been paid for. The DMV doesn't really care who pays as long as someone does. State laws may vary, which is why it's best to contact the local DMV to determine what will be required to transfer ownership in this situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.