Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roomate just put a magnaflow muffler on his 96 240 sx along with a universal cat.. all resonators were removed and the thing is loud as hell.. it sounds nice at idle but it is really loud when crusing at 2500 to 3500 rpms.. I mean you can hear the alarms of parked cars chirp when you pass them by.. At highway speeds the growl tones down a bit and sounds nice.. He wants to quiet it down a bit, but still have it a little louder than stock.. I was thinking about having a shop putting a resonator somewhere along the pipe to quiet it down a bit..

I believe magnaflow makes a resonator but I am not sure, Does anyone know how it will sound if he puts one on?.. I also have heard that resonators restrict air flow as well.. So im thinking putting one on there will basically put it back to stock form..

Any help would be appreciated cuase I drive this car alot too, I drove it to work today and the sound really got on my nerves..

Please come forth with any suggestions or comments...

Thank you. - jay

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm about to put in a res in too. And from what my muffer shop guy told me, he's gonna be putting in a racing resonator which doesn't restrict air flow much or at all, but tones down the volume. He said that glasspack resonators restrict airflow greatly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I put a cat back dual magnaflow setup on my 91 coupe, when I got done and started the car, I wanted to kick my self in the @ss. It was so damn loud. I was pissed. I drove the car 3 times and that was it. It felt really good (stronger) at higher rpm's, But the noise was killing me.
So I consulted a friend that does exhausts for a living, He recommended a resonator. At that point I didnt care about the possible loss of guts that were gained with the noise. After we put it on it killed about 40-50% of the deep head ache noise, And I didnt feel a loss of power:D I wasnt ttotally satisfied with the sound though. After some thinking I had my girl and a friend drive the car and I followed, So that I could hear what it sounded like out side of ther car. Huge difference. You just hear a smooth low-toned sound. I would say you hear about 3x that inside the car. That may be due to how I have them mounted in my car. Either way the 2 layers of Brown Bread(Vibration/Sound deadening material) that i will be doing the whole car in should kill most of that. I should have that done by mid March.
But Yes I would say go with the resonator, and if thats not good enough for you, They have these things called "Donkey D!ck's" (thats the shop name for them, I dont know the real name) that you can have put in/on your exhaust that im told will kill the sound a little more.

Will
My stable:
91 Legend L Coupe Cobalt Blue
91 Legend L Sedan Cobalt Blue
GSXR 750

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went back to the muffler shop and told the guy that it was way to loud.. He said that putting a resonator would help alot.. I asked him about aftermarket ones (glasspack, magnaflow) and he said that they would work fine, but he said that the stock one from the original exhaust was still in good condition, and that it is probably better quality than aftermarket/ universal ones, +it would be free, he could just charge me for welding it on... So I told him id talk to my roomate tonight and take it back to him tomorrow... What he basically said was that unless you are doing some serious racing, a resonator is a resonator, power gains and losses are minimal, so just slap the original one on

whadoya guys think?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hey guys, very interesting about the resonator stuff. I'm getting ready to swap out my OEM exhaust, but I can't decide between the Greddy SP or the Remus. I think the Greddy is a catback that will include a resonator and the Remus is just axle back so that will use the stock resonator. Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want it loud, but I also don't want it like stock. All in all, it just seems like the Greddy is a better value since it will replace my rusted pipes from catback versus the Remus unless it is annoyingly loud. I'm confused and would appreciate any feedback that you guys out there can give me, thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe Arospeed just made a new ADJUSTABLE butterfly exhuast valve that you can install in between the B-pipe and rear section of the exhuast section. This system is restrictive, but it's adjustable (it is controlled by a wire that is pulled according to the driver's taste via cockpit control unit). I dont have pix, but I am sure Arospeed makes it. The unit controls the loudness by restricting the amount of exhuast flow to the muffler. Think of it as a user-defined throttle body mounted into the exhuast system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked the Arospeed website

sounds interesting, I really don't know much about arospeed.. I wonder how the quality/ fuctionability of this thing is, I suppose if constructed right, it could be very usefull..

Exhaust control valve www.arospeed.com

btw.. I had the resonator put back on.. The sound is much nicer now.. still loud but acceptable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts