Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my 1994 Acura legend L sedan. The main concern is that it doesn't turn over when i start the ignition and the fuel pump is not energized. The schematics I have only place the PGM-FI relay as a common tie point to both units, so I devised a jumper for degenerative operation. I jumpered from my interior fuse panel to the fuel pump 12 volts and also 12 volts jumpered from my fuse panel to the b/y wire that goes into the security unit. Now the car starts, but I still really don't know what the problem is. I opened the PGM-FI relay and it seems to be working as the Hanes manual described, the fuel pump relay activating for a couple seconds then de-energizing and the other really fully energizing, so that is all that i really know. Could it be the control signals from the PCM or the ECU? I'm stumped.

2,762 Posts
The main relay is a common problem on Legends and other Hondas. Some have repaired the relay, most just replace it. If I remember correctly, some of the solders on the circuit board inside can break causing failure. I think the relays may still open and close as necessary, but the broken joints are causing problems with pass through.

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
Legend won't start. Battery and starter good.

1. main relay
or
2. ignition switch
or
3. ground wire left off engine while performing other maintenance.

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
Jetdoc said:
Legend won't start. Battery and starter good.

1. main relay
or
2. ignition switch
or
Good tips. Main relay would be most common, then ignition switch and I guess the ground wire is possible. Have not heard that much though.

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
It happened to me. I replaced the thermostat an failed to connect the ground wire that bolts to the thermostat housing. It would turn over but would not fire. There is also a ground that connects to the fuel rail that will cause a no start if disconnected.

· Registered
899 Posts
Somewhere on this forum there is a post explaining how to tell the difference between the ignition switch or relay starting to go bad. If I remember, one difference is that the tach and instruments show some activity on one but not the other. As for the ground strap - that one might be somewhat easier to determine as it probably didn't run after the car was worked on. Right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.