Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my aftermarket alarm (DEI/Viper) installed and I was wondering about the best place for the little red LED. Where should I have them drill to put the LED ?

thank you

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've got mine in the door lock posts that move up and down when you lock/unlock the car .. Everyone knows I've got an alarm when those two red LED's on each side of the car are blinking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
CakeDaddy said:
I'm getting my aftermarket alarm (DEI/Viper) installed and I was wondering about the best place for the little red LED. Where should I have them drill to put the LED ?

thank you
Id there any way to utilize the existing alarm led or use the same placement? If so, I would opt for that since the line of sight visibility is great.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
acuralegend.com said:
I think the best place is where the foglight switches are.
To the left of the steering wheel.
Are you referring to the panel that the courtesy light knob is on, just under the A\C vent ? I noticed that there is an open slot there. Does that extra slot pop out ?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I put the LED on the original location using the original LED too, so it looks very very stock, no people will know about my aftermarket alarm system, hehhee................, very stealthy.

·
I like shiny
14,385 Posts
I can tell you about all 3 positions that were talked about.

Mom's 94 Sedan: In this one the LED that is used with the stock alarm is used. I have no clue what was done to do this or if anything was changed or drilled because it was like that when she bought it.

Dad's 93 Coupe: His LED is where the stock LED would be. The installers took apart the door and put a new LED there, I don't know why they did not use the one that was there.

My 91 Coupe: I have the LED to the Left of the Steering wheel next to the courtesy light controls. I did not tell them where to put it and they just put it there without asking.

It is mainly personal preference, yes certain positions can be stealthier than others. If you plan to ever arm the oem alarm with the key and the aftermarket with the remote you should have the OEM LED and the aftermarket one in different positions. I never use both, but when a tech parks my car they never use the remote, they always lock it with the key and activate the oem alarm-now I tell them to use the remote.

Well, sorry for the long post, but I thought I had something to add here.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
dmenn said:
I've got mine in the door lock posts that move up and down when you lock/unlock the car .. Everyone knows I've got an alarm when those two red LED's on each side of the car are blinking.
How did you do this? Was it hardto do?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I personally prefer the OEM position. If you want, just wire both up. Stock or aftermarkett, it'll blink. If you want to do OEM then just splice into the wires that lead into the blue plastic harness. --=Keith

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
KeithQNguyen said:
I personally prefer the OEM position. If you want, just wire both up. Stock or aftermarkett, it'll blink. If you want to do OEM then just splice into the wires that lead into the blue plastic harness. --=Keith
I agree. I planned on splicing into the OEM LED, but never had time yet. My aftermarket LED is located on the sifter gate just under the slot on my automatic, and on my 6-Speed it is located right between the heated seat switches. I didn't want to drill into the wood, and I plan on using the OEM fog light switch, so there is no black space in those locations.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Exactly, great minds think alike!!! :D Nah seriously though, I just prefer the stock look for these kinds of things. I mean when i see LEDs drilled int he middle of the vent or just out of place, it's a turn off. With my old coupe I did splice into the orginal LED and it worked just fine. I wanted to all a LED light to the passenger side, but never got around to it. It should be possible though. --=Keith

G

·
Does anyone know where the led wire's are located inside the car? I've been wanting to do this but I can't find the wires to tap into. Do I have to cut the existing wire from the OEM led or can I just splice into it?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
As I said in my other post, just take off the door panel and feed two wires into the rubber harness that goes from the passenger compartment to the door and splice into the blue plastic harness connector. your done! --=Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts