Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
The plastic mounting braket in which the cable mounts to is broken. Two option here. You buy a new inside door handle for a cople of hundred, or you fix it using expoxy. I choose the expoxy route and have not have a problem for about 2 years in the 93 and 95, and almost 5 years in my old 91 which my friend now owns. How long it last depends on how good a job you do :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
The job is not hard, but there are a few tricky, and tight spots. It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to do. You should get yourself the HELM manual, as some of the bolt and clip locations can be tough to find (plus it's really good for other repairs!)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hmmm.

A couple of hours, nah.

you must mean for the whole entire repair action which includes time for the expoxy to cure because I'm not a proffessional, however, I can have the door panels off in maybe (at most) 5 minutes.

There is a specific tool (although generic) that slips between the door panel and the actual door. It is called a trim tool (by ac delco) although I thought we all have this tool readily available or maybe just available. Anyways, I spent 5 dollars on this screw driver that has a bent shaft and a tip that splits into a u shape.

Other than that unscrewing 4 screws and poping out the plastic trim pieces - unplugging the electrics and the interior handle plastics - we are talking maybe 10 minutes max.

KNLNGUS

good luck with your project. After removing the door and inspecting the plastics where the interior door handle mates with the cable, I would check with the dealer to see if they have the plastic piece that you need. OR visit a junk yard.:D :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
This just happened to me on the passenger side door of my 93 coupe.

I'll take it apart this weekend and have a look.

Champagne Legend, did you have any luck fixing it yourself?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Epoxy works well, did this with my old coupe and current one, funny the passenger side broke first, but just spply it and let it sit.... I think it's harder then factory, but the problem is figuring where the new wear point is... --=Keith

·
Registered
996 Posts
When mine broke, I reenforced it with little pieces of wood in between the plastic vanes ... basically making the whole thing a solid chunk, not hollow like the stock. This ought to hold.

Cheesyb: Why spend $55 when you can spend $2+time? :)

·
32 Posts
I just screwed it up so bad with the epoxy...I didn't have much choice......there...you got it out of me... I did try the $2 approach first though.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the coupe drivers side is more expensive than the sedan or the passenger side....over 200 versus 75, because of integrated switchs....anyway, I bought some flat metal stock and made a corner and epoxied then drilled out and screw the corner on as a brace...filled in the ribbed spots. It will never break there again...good luck...

G

·
Just visit a junk yard...solved my problem!! I tried the epoxy thing and it worked, but kept failing!! So I just switched out the door handles!! The door handles are the same between coupes and sedans...don't let that fool you!! All u have to do is change the switches...good luck!! By the way, I paid 10 bucks for my new handle...

Here is a pic of how I fixed my old one...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Report from the field...

Congrats on that find Golden Coupe!

Not a lot of Legends in the junk yards around MD though.

I was concerned about the durability of the epoxy too, so my Dad and I created a small metal brace to splint the brake in the plastic piece that held the door cable. We drilled through the brace and plastic and then screwed the pieces together using tiny screws (the kind in eyeglasses). Then we epoxied the crap out of it just for more support and strength. Total labor: (1 hour)

I don't think that mutha will break again.

"We can rebuild him...."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts