Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which direction are the slots on my cross drilled/slotted rotors suppose to face? Are the slots suppose to point toward the front of the car or the rear? Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This is hard to say without knowing the direction of vents in the rotors, because the Patterns (drill holes and slots) can go booth ways.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TYPEII said:
This is hard to say without knowing the direction of vents in the rotors, because the Patterns (drill holes and slots) can go booth ways.
I got them from Mr. Wood at Raceconcepts about 6 month ago, haven't had a chance to install them til now.

this is what the pattern look like, sorry I don't have a digicam, so paintshop is the next best thing:D

Attachments

·
187 Posts
I bought my front set from Mr. Wood as well. I followed the directions on the Brembo website and i installed them with the slots/drilling leading from the outer edges in from the front of the car.

front of car \ rear of car

Now, i'm not 100% sure about this, so can someone please confirm/verify?

·
meber
978 Posts
WhiteLegend said:

I got them from Mr. Wood at Raceconcepts about 6 month ago, haven't had a chance to install them til now.

this is what the pattern look like, sorry I don't have a digicam, so paintshop is the next best thing:D
Do you get paid for your photoshop skills? :D

·
Registered
671 Posts
mfjonny said:
I bought my front set from Mr. Wood as well. I followed the directions on the Brembo website and i installed them with the slots/drilling leading from the outer edges in from the front of the car.

front of car \ rear of car

Now, i'm not 100% sure about this, so can someone please confirm/verify?
That is what I heard too... You want the brake pad to touch the slot on the outside first as it turns... It's hard to describe.

Read this link from Brembo's site:
Click here

It tells you what direction they should rotate.

-James

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
It doesn't matter which way the slots or direction of the drilled pattern on the rotor faces, as the importenet thing is whcih way the internal vents face. Companies slot or drill the patterns both ways, so there is no way to judge. And I really don't think it matters much which part of the pad hits the slot first. Take a look at all the cars and motorcycles that come with OEM drilled rotors, and you will find differences between OEM drilled rotors as well. However, if they use diretional internal vented rotors, I bet they are all facing the same way. If the rotors have non direction vents, then I guess you simple go in the direction the manufacturer recomends, or whichever looks better to you.

My bet would be to install it in the direction that Porche installes it on their cars.

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
Supposedly the straight vented slots can be placed either way for the rotation, but only the curved slotted ones like I got from Mr. Woods must be pointing away from the direction of the rotation or else it won't cool as effectively.

·
187 Posts
ChrisK said:
It doesn't matter which way the slots or direction of the drilled pattern on the rotor faces, as the importenet thing is whcih way the internal vents face. Companies slot or drill the patterns both ways, so there is no way to judge. And I really don't think it matters much which part of the pad hits the slot first. Take a look at all the cars and motorcycles that come with OEM drilled rotors, and you will find differences between OEM drilled rotors as well. However, if they use diretional internal vented rotors, I bet they are all facing the same way. If the rotors have non direction vents, then I guess you simple go in the direction the manufacturer recomends, or whichever looks better to you.

My bet would be to install it in the direction that Porche installes it on their cars.
How do you check for internal vent directions? Is there any way to know if the rotors we have even have directional venting (versus straight venting?)

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
If you were to stand on the drivers side of my car looking at the rotors, the slots would go in the other direction that whiteLegends photoshop shows. I think it looks pretty cool and while searching, I never knew which way was the right way so I told my mechanic to install them that way.

·
187 Posts
rockshox72 said:
Supposedly the straight vented slots can be placed either way for the rotation, but only the curved slotted ones like I got from Mr. Woods must be pointing away from the direction of the rotation or else it won't cool as effectively.
I just emailed Mr. Wood ar Raceconcepts and he told me that the front rotors he sold me had straight vents... Now i have a non-GS, so they might be different, but are you sure that the rotors you purchased from Mr. Wood have curved internal venting? Are the venting slots visible?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
And just to add to the confusion of the direction of the drilled and slotted pattern, I check some old car magazines, and saw an M5 slots one way, a Corvette slots the other way, Porsche slots one way, slots on a Viper antoher way. So it seems as each manufacturer (those who have OEMs installed) and each aftermarket tuner likes their ownn direction on the pattern of the slots/drills. However, like I mentioned, I believe the cooling vents are the importent thing and I would be they have them all the same way if it is a direction rotor. The slots on the rotors I got from Elvis are non direction straight vents and I have the GS/93+ Coupe rotors.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mfjonny said:

I just emailed Mr. Wood ar Raceconcepts and he told me that the front rotors he sold me had straight vents... Now i have a non-GS, so they might be different, but are you sure that the rotors you purchased from Mr. Wood have curved internal venting? Are the venting slots visible?
I think the new design that Raceconcepts are straight, but I purchased my rotors over 6 month ago, so I think they're curved

·
Registered
307 Posts
Who is Mr. Wood?

And how do I get in touch with him? And how much were the rotors? My rotors are warped very badly and they need to be either replaced or turned, and I think I'd just like to replace them with the slotted ones.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Re: Who is Mr. Wood?

SushiLicious said:
And how do I get in touch with him? And how much were the rotors? My rotors are warped very badly and they need to be either replaced or turned, and I think I'd just like to replace them with the slotted ones.
raceconcepts - (714) 547-3581

1 - 18 of 18 Posts