Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I may be a complete moron for asking, but anyway - Whats the difference between the D, S3 and S4, and the 2? I've always been wondering. I have a 90 Legend L.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, D is for drive, which is most suited for every day driving. D automatically moves to the highest gear that it can to maintain maximum gas mileage. S3 S4 change the way the transmission shifts. Rather than move to the highest gear like D, they stay in the current gear until you redline. These gears are for "sport" driving and towing mainly

·
Registered
270 Posts
S3 causes the tranny to shift at a higher rpm range. S4 is to access 4th gear while u are Racing;) in S3.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is there an advantage of using s3/s4 over D if you are always WOT?
Also, S3/s4 will upshift you to 4th if you redline in 3rd?
Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
S3 is only gears 1 through 3, s4 is gears 1 through 4 also, in D, the car starts of in 2nd unless you punch it, then it goes down to first, but in s3/s4 the car starts in 1st.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just to append what's been said. S4 and S3 change the shift points and line pressure which will produce harder shifts at a higher RPM. "D" uses the full range of gears and starts off in 1st gear. "2" Starts in second and stays in second, use for starting on slippery surfaces.

Regards

·
Registered
133 Posts
why mess with all of this?

just get a manual! ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Wouldn't mind having a stick except for traffic. Also, seems more convinient to only have to press one pedal to go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It may be more convenient to only press one pedal, but it is much more fun to press two. Plus manuals are faster. More control over the car also (trust me, it helps, I've had 2 accidents in my dad's car and none in mine, his is an auto).

I'm not dissing automatic, I am just stating why I like manual better. Each person has his/her preferences and thats fine by me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
apacjet

I hear you, If I could have found a 5speed thats where my ass would be now, but they are really, really rare over here (aust).
From looking in the window of every legend (incl sedans, which I dont rate, sorry to sedan owners) I have NEVER seen a stick shifter. The dealer in my part of Melbourne (inner city) says he has only done work on two and they were both sedans.
Similar story with G2s - hardly ever see 6 speeds for sale.

It galls me that my mates POS integra has more off the line than my legend, and is basically more fun to drive with its manny tranny. Still whip his ass though.

rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.