Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I was checking www.nopi.com and they list 3 types of clutches:

365+1873 $706.54 $0.00 CENTERFORCE - Dual Friction Clutch Disc And Pressure Plate (90% increase in holding capacity) - Pull Clutch 3.2L Engine - No Weights
365+1308 $615.63 $0.00 Centerforce - Dual Friction Clutch Disc And Pressure Plate (90% increase in holding capacity) - 3.2L Engine - No Weights
365+2243 $381.49 $0.00 SACHS NA - Clutch Kit, All Mdls w/6speed Gear Box.

First, what's the big difference between the first and 2nd Centerforce clutches..?

Also, I see that Sachs is a German company that makes clutches for Volkswagens. Should I think about that brand, when the time comes when my clutch decides it's had enough?

I'm trying to do the investigation now, so when the clutch gives out in the next 20-50k miles, I can be prepared and buy the right thing for the price....

-Jose

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my buddy that races in NIRA

told me that the "pull clutch" is essentially like the drag race cars.

you dont even have to engage the clutch.
does that even ring a bell w/ anyone?
doesnt sound believable. :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ummm

Dave C ver2.0 said:
Type I engines have a single mass flywheel while Type IIs have a dual mass flywheel.
Can you please tell me what the benefits and downfalls of a dual mass flywheel vs. a single mass flywheel?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got this

from another website:

What are the Benefits of Dual Mass Flywheels?

Eliminate excessive transmission gear rattle, making driving comfortable at any speed
Reduce shift effort
Increase fuel economy

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
??

infinite said:
The $615 clutch sounds good. They are both centerforce and I doubt you will be putting out 400hp out of your car, so you might as well save 90 bucks.
Any word on this pull clutch stuff?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Jose,

I'd make sure the centreforce clutch is available to begin with. When i was replacing my clutch, that was the first brand I was looking at and ended up being told that centrefoce doesn't make any "yet". ALthough they list it in their catalogue and have a part # for it, they havn't built one yet. I actually called centreforce myself to confirm this.

I ended up going with a Clutchmasters Stage III which has the same ratings, can handel up to about 450hp.

All I say is it laucnhes beautifully and bites hard. I can spin my tires like mad when shifting into second.

If you like launching hard and plan to do performance upgrades, I suggest getting a performance clutch which will outlast an OEM clutch in this application.

I got my clutchmasters from VIP Motorsports for about $780 or something.

G

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
theGodfather said:
Jose,

I'd make sure the centreforce clutch is available to begin with. When i was replacing my clutch, that was the first brand I was looking at and ended up being told that centrefoce doesn't make any "yet". ALthough they list it in their catalogue and have a part # for it, they havn't built one yet. I actually called centreforce myself to confirm this.

I ended up going with a Clutchmasters Stage III which has the same ratings, can handel up to about 450hp.

All I say is it laucnhes beautifully and bites hard. I can spin my tires like mad when shifting into second.

If you like launching hard and plan to do performance upgrades, I suggest getting a performance clutch which will outlast an OEM clutch in this application.

G
I remember you posting about this on the other board. It is pretty sad that a company will list a part in their catalog but then not even have the part in production.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry, I gave you the wrong price!

Sorry, I actually MISQUOTED you on the clutch.

I just checked my reciept and I paid $975 CND, which at the time with the US/CND dollar exchange was about $620 USD.

Infinite: It is sad. I remember they were telling me that they were getting a Legend in their garage in 10 days so they can R&D it and make one for me. I actually waited and called back adn they told me "we couldn't get it in but will ahve one out in 30-60 days). That's when I found out clutchmasters made one and went with them.

G

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey

theGodfather said:
Jose,

G
Do you have some contact info for those people?

I can't seem to find their website.
And Clutchmasters only lists a "Stage 0" clutch for us on their site, for some reason.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jose3030

You may want to check out www.herson.com. I just got a stage 1 clutch for my type 1 for $485. They say it's good for up to 350hp
and 328 torque. Ive had it on a couple of days and an very impressed.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cost??

KenS said:
Jose3030

You may want to check out www.herson.com. I just got a stage 1 clutch for my type 1 for $485. They say it's good for up to 350hp
and 328 torque. Ive had it on a couple of days and an very impressed.
How much did they charge to install?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had mine installed at a local shop for $550.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Re: hey

jose3030 said:

Do you have some contact info for those people?

I can't seem to find their website.
And Clutchmasters only lists a "Stage 0" clutch for us on their site, for some reason.
Go to www.mvpmotorsports.com and ask to speak to Dusty.

I got mine a little cheaper than normal cause I ordered the clutch with my buddy who ordered his Supra clutch.

When I ordered the Stage III, they also didn't have it listed but clutchmasters makes the Stage III per request. No one stocks the Stage III actually. I had to wait a week for Clutchmasters to actually assemble the clutch to a stage III spec. They said that mine was like the 2nd or 3rd one they sold at that stage.

G

·
Registered
51 Posts
i just had mine done at a local shop OE parts and labor. $550

...sqeeling out of second.

for those of you with performance clutches. how long have you had them?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey!

infinite said:
Jose, fahoumh from the TL board found this article for me that explains a little about dual mass flywheels and pull clutches.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf70044.htm
thanks dude.
that really helps me out.

i'm now wondering if i should go for the "specially built" stage III.
Since it's specially built and most likely stronger than stock, I can see that clutch lasting for a VERY VERY long time.

And i'm pretty sure I could get used to the harder pedal feel..... just give me a week or 2 and i'll make it work.

by the way guys, I can't drive my car w/ shoes on.
i have to take my shoes off in order to be able to drive my 6speed, as my feet are 13 in size and it conflicts between the brake and accelerator. anyone else have this problem? :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Re: hey!

jose3030 said:

thanks dude.
that really helps me out.

i'm now wondering if i should go for the "specially built" stage III.
Since it's specially built and most likely stronger than stock, I can see that clutch lasting for a VERY VERY long time.

And i'm pretty sure I could get used to the harder pedal feel..... just give me a week or 2 and i'll make it work.

by the way guys, I can't drive my car w/ shoes on.
i have to take my shoes off in order to be able to drive my 6speed, as my feet are 13 in size and it conflicts between the brake and accelerator. anyone else have this problem? :)
:D I wear 13.5 and although I own an automatic, when I test drove the 6 speed I found I had no problems. I drive my freinds' manuals sometimes and have no problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts