Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my leather and im replacing my cloth . im not really sure how i sopostu install new vinyl pn a packed of the front seats. do you take the old cloth out ? how do i attach the new vinyl so its tight ans smooth ? i would like to know how you guys done it
thanx

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Get some hog rings and STRONG pliers, and an extra pair of hands. Remove the seats and strip them down to the foam cushions. Remove the wire harness and seatframe and seatback.The back pockets unsnap from the bottom and slide down. You'll probably need new seat-pocket plastic snaps from the dealer. For the plastic trim, remove all screws and it mostly slides or pops off. The seat control buttons pop off and the plate slides back.
The seat pockets material is held on by staples and spray adhesive and an elastic band. Just remove and replace the same way.. Use the old as a template to cut out the new. I added a layer of 1/4" foam to mine.
The creases in the seatback and bottom are held in by little springs and the rest is hog rings attached to wires imbedded in the seatfoam.Take the cloth off and you will see all the attach points where the new hog rings and springs (re-use) will go.
I got some HD spray adhesive and 1/4" sheetfoam from Michael's to build up the seat thickness like new, so the covers will fit much better and smoother.You can also stuff new foam into any damage holes (mine was deteriorated all around the drivers side bolster). Cut it in sections to fit in the creases on the seat. (Mock each section to the seat, trace the creases and cut. It looks like crap at first, but this is the best way once you get it on it will look great.) Glue it to the seat, poke holes for your headrest and let dry. Also you'll be better off to run a heat gun or hair dryer over your new leather before installation (or just throw them in the dryer for like 5 minutes). This will remove wrinkles and make them easier to manipulate. swap the wires from your old seat cloth and install in the creases of the new leather and~ if applicable, cut out your old heating pad and sew it into the new leather. Reinstall everything and make SURE al your wires are plugged in. I forgot one of my heater pads, and also the seat control has to be plugged in BEFORE you reinstall the frame.

It will take a full day for each seat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i done that the same way , just i had some problems wiht the leather on the side of the seat where the motors are for some reason the leather was to long on right side and too shor on left , but the top fits good.
but my question is about the seat pocked here is picture , how did you attach the new leather to the onld one the spray will not hold it you can't get tru the plastic wiht the hog rings .... i give up

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Re-read my post. You have to strip it all the way down to the bare plastic. Then use HEAVY DUTY spray adhesive on BOTH mating surfaces, allow to get tacky, then mold the (foam, then...)leather around the plastic or plastic+new foam. and use INDUSTRIAL staples/gun on the backside. Make sure the other side is against a STURDY flat surface to bend the staples on the back. You have to use your body weight to get the staple gun to shoot THROUGH the plastic. Otherwise the staples will just pull out or get bent, like yours in the picture...
It takes some feel to not shoot all the way through the leather, but still make it deep enough into the plastic. That's why it's good to have some foam on the leather side.

Get the elastic stretched tightly and stapled on the back so your pockets don't sag later on.

Once you get the pocket pressed back onto the seat (VERY tight fit) it will all hold together just fine.

I hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx so where can i get the staples ? and do you know how much thay run ?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Wal Mart. TR45-TR50

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.