Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Hope you all are doing good! "MISS C" post has been getting tonnes of replies!!! lucky her!!

Anyways, I just the got my 94' GS and wanted to ask you all a question.

How can you tell if the water pump and TB has been changed? I don't have any records. The car has 104K miles. What do you guys suggest I do?

I bought the car from a dealer so the car is all cleaned up and looks good.

Do I need to do any other maintenance or should I just drive it and get the 120K service?

Your opinions will be appreciated! :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
If the service was performed by an acura dealer, you can go to your local acura service dept. and have them punch in your vin # to see what service has been performed. If there are no records than thats some scary sh*t cause then you just don't know. If the previous owner did not do the tb and you leave it, I can see $$$ down the line when it snaps and your doing 60 on the freeway. On the other hand, it's also a costly service to do, especially if you find out after the mechanic has your car in pieces that the tb looks new. I guess if you can spare 6-7 bills, it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would get the service done ASAP for peace of mind. Congratulations on your new car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I recommend like they said, take it to Acura. If u don't get any info than u can do 2 things b/c I just bought a new 95GS 83k miles. (so congrats to us :D) and I had the same question. One is just do the major tune up or two look @ the fan belts to c if they r new. If u c cracks most likely u need to do the tune up. Take it to a mechanic and have him look @ the timing belt to tell u if it needs to b changed, if he tells u yes than u might as well tell him to do it there b/c for him to put it back together is gonna cost u round 100 to 200 bucks.

On my case, the air filter was old, the steering belt needs to b replaced so even though the previous owner told me he did do the tune up I doubt it b/c it wouldn't b in this condition if he did it half a year ago as he said. So I'm doing the tune up.

Latin.....................

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Latin ,

Congrats to you on your new ride!! I'll check with Acura first - will any acura dealer be able to tell if the service had been done?

If they don;t have any info, then I'll take it to my own mechanic. I looked at the fan belts and both of them looked new to me but still for my satisfaction, I'll ask him to open it up and have a look.

BTW, how much did you pay for your GS?? I paid $9870 for mine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
13,000! Freak! I'm hurting right now lol but loving the ride just like u. But better than 14,900, which is wot he wanted at first. And better than 17 or 18g's which is wot it would hav probably sold at a dealership.

As for does every acura do the check, that information I don't have. Call and ask. Good luck!.

Latin...........

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Latin you won't believe this -

1994 ACURA LEGEND GS, V-6 engine, automatic transmission, air conditioning, loaded, moonroof, ABS, leather, 79000, blk/black very clean, 003676 $10900 (510)745-7116

I called this guy and he had already sold the car for 10K - unbelieveable!

Anyways, I'm loving my new GS just as you are!

Take care!

·
Registered
424 Posts
r u f*ing w/me man? lol. DAMN! That is a good price, although something must hav been wrong with that car though. www.kbb.com listed my car for 14,300 and www.edmunds.com listed it for 14,000. Either way I got a deal, but 10k for that car was a bargain, if it is in top notch shape. blk/blk man that's tough, I learned my lesson with the charcoal 92LS I'm selling. All scratches r a pain in the eye. My new one is pearl white, never worry of scratches.

Latin.......................:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
this is what my mechanics told me if you want to know whether the timing belt and water pump has been done (the easy way without even spending some $$$)

check all the bolts around the engine bay and the belts. if it got scratches or looked like if it has been an attempt to open, then the timing belt has been done.

this is an easy way to check it, say my mechanic. he said why in the hell someone would open the engine unless doing the timing belt. his reasoning is quite true, so just check all the bolts.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I got my 94GS for $7200. Well I talked them down to $7200. No GS Rims, or OEM wing, and it had 133k on it. But, these things tend to last forever taken care of properly :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh ok - so, what wheels do u have on now?
One of my GS rims is scratched pretty bad - I guess there's no solution to that other than getting a new one!

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
ILOVELEGEND said:
oh ok - so, what wheels do u have on now?
One of my GS rims is scratched pretty bad - I guess there's no solution to that other than getting a new one!
You can go to www.car-parts.com for GS rims or go to your local junkyard or salvage yard and see if they have any.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
It has some aftermarket Eagle Alloys 15" rims. They are not bad looking, just way too small in my opinion. I want to put Konig Tantrums on them later on, probably 17".

Triton: I've said it once, I'll say it again, I have not seen ANY Legends in junkyards out here in the Los Angeles County area :(
Or San Bernadino area as well. :confused:

·
Registered
580 Posts
:D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :D

I got my 1994 GS Black SEdan/Ivory Interior for
a wopping $5,900 bucks!

How sweet it it!;)

·
meber
978 Posts
James S said:
:D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :D

I got my 1994 GS Black SEdan/Ivory Interior for
a wopping $5,900 bucks!

How sweet it it!;)
WHere do you people find thses kind of deals?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're kidding me man!!!!

How many miles on your GS??

Did u do a carfax on that car?? Let me know if you need one!

Enjoy your ride becoz I definitely am!!:D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I just waited, everyone told me to wait, I was going to buy a 1994 Acura Legend GS Sedan Black, it had only 74,000miles asking $9000. I drove it and I liked it a lot. It was salavged though, the owner said they broke into it and ripped up the seats, stole some stuff form inside, etc... they replaced the Acura stereo etc... the seats where like a dark gray... I just waited....

Then I found the 94GS Pearl White with 133k for $8800 or so, which I talked down to $7200 due to lack of rims and 6disc cd chnager in the trunk, amongst promising i'd bring in a check in full amount the next day. I noticed a couple of differences, the Seats in the black salvaged Sedan where not original, the leather was a lot thinner, and the console on my Pearl White GS is much better looking. So I'm guessing the wood trim on the salvaged one was fake...

Sometimes some dealers don't know what they got, i.e many dealers don't seem to know about TypeI/TypeII differences, or HP differences etc..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is so true. There are so many people out there who have absolutely no idea about Type I and Type II engines.
Some people who drive Legends, just think that they are driving some car!

I spoke to this dealer and he sold 94GS for 10K with hardly any miles on it - when I asked him if he knew what Type II was, he was like.....hmm....just a model I guess!
So, there is lot of ignorance out there!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Some guys at least made an attempt to tell me what the differnce was, one said the TypeII was 200HP, and type I was around 180HP. Another guy told me, the TypeII had 300HP (hahaha!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts