Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 legend and i need to add some refrigerant, but i'm not 100% sure if it was converted to R-134 or not. mine still has the original sticker that says R-12 but it has the valves that fit the R-134 cans. R-12 and R-134 use different valves right? can i be 100% sure based on the valves?

my other question is: my compressor is really really loud. It's quiet when the a/c is off but when it's on it makes a really loud whirring sound, which gets louder with higher rpms, and can be heard over the noise of the engine while driving. do i need to replace the compressor or can it be fixed?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Even though the stickers say r-12, if you have the r-134 connectors, someone has adapted the system to 134. If your compressor is that loud and the volume raises with rpm increases, your compressor or compressor
clutch is on it's way out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ac work

"hey chief"

do you know the guy that you purchased from?? thats the best way to figure this out..other than that, pervious posts are probably right, 134a fittings are different. someone most likely did the old "wal-mart" conversion (left the mineral oil in the system, and simply slapped on those 134a fitting(s) and charged with the 134a.
you could go to an ac shop and have them put their "sniffer" to a fitting to positively ID the refrig. in the system. they will charge you at least 50bucks or more though.
as I mentioned in previous posts, r12 oil and 134a oils are not compatable with each other...the refrigerants aren't compatable either. that "sound" from the compressor? may well be from leaving the r12 oil in the system and NOT flushing and using the POG/POE synthetics which are made for the 134a. takes time, but eventually it takes its toll in not providing lubrication.
easy route. (you need a guage set, I will assist you if needed) buy a can of 134a, (NO OIL) as to much can also damage the system/reduce cooling. charge in slow "bursts" charge as a gas (can upright) into the low side. Use the gauge set and give me your high/low readings.
also, with the ac on and the compressor making the noise you hear, spray some water on the belt/pully. does the noise change? could be the belt/front hub bearing or the compressor internals...either way (do this last) IF you have to replace the compressor (purchase a reman. unit) autozone is fine or check on-line shops, with the system open, a complete flush (the oil) must be removed or the new compressor will eventually fail. no warranty either.

sandy

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
go ahead and remove the compressor,

1st you wanna release all the pressure, there is a bleed valve between both of the pressure hoses, where they connect to the compressor at the bottom.

then there are 4 bolts to remove, 12mm (make sure you un plug the clutch switch, follow the two black lines until you get to the male female connection)

then there are 2 bolts for the pressure hoses and then its off, take the clutch and pully off the copressor and lube that up with some grease, taking the compressor to get is serviced or looked at is your choice from there, but if you do decide to drive it without the compresor on you will have to remove both the powersteering belt and the alternator belt to remove the compressor belt. however if you put the compressor back on and the noise is gone oil it up per haymans manual amount and put some R 134 in there. your good to go for another 100k. :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i recharged with 134 and its still working but i noticed i have oil on the safety valve of the compressor so i want to try adding a little oil to see if that will help for now. i'm pretty sure i will be replacing the compressor in the near future tho. i went in to the store to do a quick check to see if they sold oil/refrigerant mix and for how much, so i wasn't really prepared to see so many choices for the same thing.:headscrat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts