Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Legend I like having 215's on the front and 225's on the Rear, I feel that the car looks and drives better (smoother and more stable) with 225's on the rear. I know that everyone talks about understeer but never noticed it.

Now I have 215/55/16 on the Front. I found a set of 225/50/16's for sale for the rears - will that be a problem with the different sidewall thickness?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
its gonna look funny.

·
Registered
707 Posts
On my Legend I like having 215's on the front and 225's on the Rear, I feel that the car looks and drives better (smoother and more stable) with 225's on the rear. I know that everyone talks about understeer but never noticed it.

Now I have 215/55/16 on the Front. I found a set of 225/50/16's for sale for the rears - will that be a problem with the different sidewall thickness?
Well the front tires are basically 8.46"(215/25.4)wide and 4.66"(215x.55/25.4)Tall.
The rears are 8.86"(225/25.4)wide and 4.43"(225x.50/25.4)tall.

This means the rears are .40" wider than the front (i don't think this is a big deal and should be hardly noticable). The front is .23" taller than the front(why would you want this when usually or cars, even when dropped, seem to sit higher in the front due to the wheel well). I would've put the larger tire in the back for looks at least.

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
i wouldnt run a 225 tire on anything less than a 7" wide rim

you tell yourself that its a 225 tire so it must have better traction due to wider contact patch... but your mind is just really playing tricks.

i mean just take a look at the majority of tires that are fitted to the cars from the factory... 195, 205, 215... why because skinnier & taller tires provide more comfort, noise comfort, predictable handling, better snow traction... all that good stuff..

wider tires / low profile are meant for handling, cornering, and steering response...

so that in itself just tells you that you think that because of your wider tire that you're getting better comfort with a smoother and more stable ride.

in fact wider tires are know to cause tramlining... and like manxdr21 stated that your sidewall height is actually shorter than before.

so i think your mind is just playing tricks on you.

well like i said anyway... 225 on 6.5, you're not going to be using all your contact area to its fullest potential anyways. so the whole wider is better theory goes out the window because your tire is going to be ballooning. and if you overinflate your tires... it just gets worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts