Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have EBC Greenstuff break pads with my slotted rotors. I assume when the pads are low, they'll squeal. Will it be a constant squeal or if I break harder, will it go away? The reason I'm asking is because I'm starting to get a squeal when I break lightly, and it's getting annoying. LOL

HELP. :D

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Underground Legend said:
The greenstuff shims tend to fall out of place, so I just took mine off. The sound is probably coming from a dragging shim on the outer part of the rotor. Laters, J.J.
My Greenstuff didn't come with shims. And I think it says on the box to not install shims if I'm not mistaken. And I've never had this issue until today, that's why I started thinking dust or dirt.

Thanks for your opinion. :)

· L4K3R5 F4N
1,207 Posts
The EBCs come with a single shim for each pad now. My first set that I got years ago didn't though. This may be a dumb question, but when you checked the pad, did you check the inner ones as well. When you reach the wear indicator, the squeal will start off intermittently, but then get more constant as the brakes wear down more. If your pads are fine, it could very well be that a small pebble got lodged under the pad as you said.

· Registered
103 Posts
You could try to "bed" the pads in.

In a safe location, do 60-20mph 4-5 times with good firm pedal. Do not lock up the brakes or engage ABS.

Then try your best to get the car home without holding your foot on the brake pedal at stoplights or stopsigns. Let the brakes cool off for a few hours till the rotors are cold.

This procedure usual is for pad material on the rotors (false sign of warped rotors) but I found that it will also work on noisey pads.

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gmblack3 said:
You could try to "bed" the pads in.

In a safe location, do 60-20mph 4-5 times with good firm pedal. Do not lock up the brakes or engage ABS.

Then try your best to get the car home without holding your foot on the brake pedal at stoplights or stopsigns. Let the brakes cool off for a few hours till the rotors are cold.

This procedure usual is for pad material on the rotors (false sign of warped rotors) but I found that it will also work on noisey pads.
I'm always doing quick stops. LOL Gotta slow down when I see a cop. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.