Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the local machanic ask to fix my AC
he told me that thay don't carry any more R12 so he can put me an R34 . i know that 34 is for a newer cars but would work in 91 L as good as R12 ?

thanX

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
DJPolak said:
i went to the local machanic ask to fix my AC
he told me that thay don't carry any more R12 so he can put me an R34 . i know that 34 is for a newer cars but would work in 91 L as good as R12 ?

thanX
R134 is do-able...BUT, you must do an R-134 conversion....I have yet to do this, but I will tell you that you may want to make sure the shop that is doing it, knows what the heck they are doing...otherwise, they may put a bogus kit in htere, charge you an arm and a leg, and then you have mediocre cooling.

Basically, make sure they warranty their work, and they are certified

·
Registered
301 Posts
The "quicky" conversion may last you the summer.
Or you may get the following Black Death

To perform a proper conversion, the O rings must be changed, the oil must be changed to PAG or POE, the lines should be flushed, the condensor should be flushed and the compressor removed from the car and all oil drained out.
If your system is open for more than an hour, the dryer/accumulator must be changed. It will "soak up" the water in the air and leave it useless.
Also a good idea to change the expansion value since the system is open.
Add 8oz of PAG or POE oil to the compressor, 1/3 oz to new dryer, 1 oz to condensor, 2 oz to evaporator and up to 24oz of R134a refridgerant.

A proper conversion will cost alot more than a "change over", but it should last you a few years and cool just as well as R-12.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i see
i guess i gonna look for shop with have R12 and just get recharge bc i don't thing all thouse stuff thay will do unless i told them to do and that will cost me a lot so .... i stay with R 12

thanx a lot for help

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it was my car and the mechanic told me that he had only charged the system with R134A, I would not use the AC again until the system was fixed properly. The lubricant used with R12 is mineral oil and that is not compatible with and will not be circulated through the system by R-134A. Some opinions are that the mineral oil settles to the lowest point in the system. At any rate your compressor is most likely not getting enough lubricant and will fail soon.

As Spiff said, the mechanic should have used an oil which is compatible with R-134A. I would have at least also pulled a vacuum at 30HG for two hours and used guages (on both high and low side) for recharge. I prefer an oil byTEXACO (HFC 100) that is sold at a site at WWW.ACKITS.COM. It does not attract moisture as easily as the other two oils and is said to be more compatible with any oil which might be left in the system. However, I am still at the novice stage.

The WWW.ACKITS.COM site has a great board and I would recommend that you post your question there and get answers from people who work on auto A/C for a living. They are very helpful. You are probably going to hear that once the system has been converted (or attempted) to R-134A it is not a simple matter to go back to R-12.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
for most cases, it is more cost efficient in the long run to REPAIR the existing system and recharge with R12.....Unless the cause of failure is a major system component like the compressor....in which case you might make the switch at that time to R134A. R134A is less efficient than R12 and properly designed R134A systems run at higher compressor pressure....all the things noted about compatibility of oil and seal are true too...you need new fittings as well. The system should also be solvent cleaned to remove the oil....if someone doesn't do all these things, you will toast the system later...then try to see if they stand behind their guarantee (doubt it). But in any case, you need to determine the cause for losing the refrigerant before even thinking about recharge...the system doesn't just go low without a cause...good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.