Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you think is the coldest, best?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Both R-12 and R-134 came stock in the Legends. It just depends what year your Legend is. My 94 has R-134 in it and the 92 has R-12. There was a change-over sometime in between and maybe someone can shed some light on the subject about the 93s.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R12 is stock. When i first got the car the a/c compressor was shot so i replaced the compressor and the receiver drier now all i need is freyon. The government is trying to phase out r12 because it is not nature friendly as to the newer r134 which is. I have heard that r134 is better meaning colder than r12 but i dont know if this is true. I just wanted to know what would be the best for my a/c system?

·
Registered
432 Posts
To answer some of the other questions, it is believed by many AC experts that R-12 has more cooling efficiency than the same quantity of R-134. The change-over occured because R-12 was thought to damage the ozone layer. At one time R-12 was very expensive as it was no longer being produced and it was being hoarded. I just had my 92's AC recharged and they wanted $50/lb. for the R-12 which I think is a big decrease in price from what it used to be. I guess all the newer cars have lessened the demand for R-12.

FutureX - your 94 should take a recharge of R-134 for considerably less than $50/lb since you are already on the new stuff and don't need the conversion. They should check it for leaks first, though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sfearing is right the 91-92 legends came with r12 and the 93-95 came with r134

·
Registered
847 Posts
FutureX, 94GS uses r134 for sure

sfearing, where did you get your r12 from?? Is it possible for you to get me some??

Has anyone tried es12a in their system?? Many claimed that it can be used in both r12 and r134 system, and is even cooler than r12. Also R406A and FR-12 also claims can be used in r12 systems, any thoughts??

and, does anyone know how to check if the r12 system has been modified to r134?? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Question,

If R12 was better at cooling than R134, does that mean, more R134 is required to cool the air?

And...for those with automatic climate control, does R12 to R134 conversion cause any sort of problem? Will the selected Temp be produced accurately?

I'm glad to hear that I wont be effected, but still nonetheless, those are some questions I have for those who do/need to do the conversions. How much does a Conversion usually cost?

·
Registered
432 Posts
claus44: That $50 price was from Merchant's Tires - hopefully there's one near you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you need major AC service to your 91-92 have the conversion done. The conversion will compensate for the lower cooling efficiency of R134A vs R12. By the time you pay $50 for a pound or two you will be well on the way to paying for your conversion. If you have a simple leak you will still need a full charge...$150+ the cost of the fix. Just pray that either you have NO problems with the 12 system. Otherwise convert...welcome to 2002.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fellas,
Some 92 Legends were in fact outfitted with R134. I know because I have one of those vehicles......:D I am not sure if the conversion was done at the dealer or whether the car was delivered like that though since I am not the original owner. But the previous owner never replaced the cooling system. I also seem to remember that R12 is much better at cooling than R134, but it does cost an arm and a leg to get. My cousin's 91 L's air conditioning will make you ask for some heat, where as mine will make you comfortable, but not extremely cold. R134 however can be bought by anyone with the money, just like R12 could be bought back in the day. Now R12 cannot be bought by a normal customer unless you are a certified mechanic (have to show your card and everything). Wal-Mart sells a R134 recharge system with hoses and a can of refrigerant for about $35.

Hope this helps.

Ghost

·
Registered
847 Posts
likeparty said:
If you need major AC service to your 91-92 have the conversion done. The conversion will compensate for the lower cooling efficiency of R134A vs R12. By the time you pay $50 for a pound or two you will be well on the way to paying for your conversion. If you have a simple leak you will still need a full charge...$150+ the cost of the fix. Just pray that either you have NO problems with the 12 system. Otherwise convert...welcome to 2002.
yeah, it's 2002, there are better options than r134 for us r12 systems now... Just don't want to loose an efficient AC, that's all... Yes, I'll convert if there's a major mechanical failure or major leak, but if not, I'd rather stick with r12.

sfearing, thx for the info, I'll look into that:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts