Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to take my car down to the track to race it and find out its 1/4 mile time. i have an auto so how is the best way to start it with out having it in neutral revin it and slamin it into gear. any help would be great!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
it's right on your FOOT:D
Hold the brake pedal, gear in D3, rev to 2K. When the light turns green, release the brake pedal and progressively WOT while making sure you are not spinning your tires:D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: haha

SeaSickLegend said:

Hell, Ill sell you one for $50.00.;)
:D So you are selling your foot for $50?? Which one?? The right or the left?:D Shipping included??

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
LoL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Re: haha

claus44 said:

:D So you are selling your foot for $50?? Which one?? The right or the left?:D Shipping included??
lol,
No, Just the D.I.Y. instructions.
But I do have a list of cheap mods I could sell you, I made the list my self!!! Get things super cheap.:D

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Re: Re: Re: haha

SeaSickLegend said:
lol,
No, Just the D.I.Y. instructions.
But I do have a list of cheap mods I could sell you, I made the list my self!!! Get things super cheap.:D
"Spend just $1000 on this top secret list, and save yourself hundreds of dollars!" :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
lol i'm pretty stupid lol. i'm still really new to cars and i swore i saw "kit" instead of "it" lol my mistake. what are some good mods for low end torque?

·
Registered
130 Posts
when u do the brake torque thing and you let go the brake, do you leave in the D3 until it the revs go close to redline? when do you slip it back into D4?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
danger69 said:
when u do the brake torque thing and you let go the brake, do you leave in the D3 until it the revs go close to redline? when do you slip it back into D4?
ahhhhhh an interesting question.......i myself live on the D-3. usually i know the area i'm so i know if it's a short series of turns or quick lights that demands the higher revvin' D-3 or when it's the long run of the high way where the D-4 will be used best.....in any case i have mastered the D-3 to D-4 gear change, when a situation occurs where i must shift from a relining D-3 i do not....i repeat do not shirt directly to D-4, shifting to D-4 adds to much dorect torqe to the tranny, instead i shift right up to Neutral and as the RPMs drop to the correct numbers i then drop it into D-4(usually around 2.5 to 3000 RPM depending on my speed) the tranny then engages into a torque easy position.:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
HATE_ME_NOW said:

ahhhhhh an interesting question.......i myself live on the D-3. usually i know the area i'm so i know if it's a short series of turns or quick lights that demands the higher revvin' D-3 or when it's the long run of the high way where the D-4 will be used best.....in any case i have mastered the D-3 to D-4 gear change, when a situation occurs where i must shift from a relining D-3 i do not....i repeat do not shirt directly to D-4, shifting to D-4 adds to much dorect torqe to the tranny, instead i shift right up to Neutral and as the RPMs drop to the correct numbers i then drop it into D-4(usually around 2.5 to 3000 RPM depending on my speed) the tranny then engages into a torque easy position.:)
Do you do that while racing? Dont you loose time/speed?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't understand leaving it in D3. Putting it in D3 only keeps the car from shifting into 4th gear, however most races from a stoplight won't go high enough to need D4, and if they do need 4th gear your car will redline each gear anyways, at least my GS will redline each gear.

Also, brake torquing doesn't help a lot, but I have found that if you rev up to about 1K rpm and then release the brake and floor it, it gives you a better launch than reving up to 2K plus revs. Also, the only time my tires spin is if I am on loose dirt or gravel, otherwise the car just goes. You need a performance torque converter to get any wheelspin.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
SeaSickLegend said:

Do you do that while racing? Dont you loose time/speed?
just a bit since your switching gears, kinda like if u had a stick, but if it's something u have to do cuz your near redline, it's easier on the tranny

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
How high of RPM's should you be at where you would not want to shift from D3 to D4?
well u can at any moment it' just a matter of going past in RPMs where the tranny would shift to 4th in D-4 and how much RPM past 3rd gear your at....of course the higher in 3rd the more torque thats being produced that the tranny gears have to adujust to, if your around 5000rpm and u drop it into D-4 the transmission has to readust abruptly to compensate for forth gear being near 5000RPM, if u do it that way your feel that thump or thrust of the tranny shifting, as oposed to Putting it in N then shift to D-4 as the RPM's lower to a more normal 4th gear engagment, whick is above 2.5 to 3.1 RPM depending how fast your going.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
infinite said:
I don't understand leaving it in D3. Putting it in D3 only keeps the car from shifting into 4th gear, however most races from a stoplight won't go high enough to need D4, and if they do need 4th gear your car will redline each gear anyways, at least my GS will redline each gear.
U may be right for your area but in Ga we have some pretty long streets where your next stop light may be anywhere from a 500feet away to quarter of a mile down, most of the time your on avenues cruising around 35-45mph, and around that speed your usually on 4th gear in the low 2000RPMs, where as in 3rd gear your around 3000RPM and if u need to accel quick your already around peak RPM torque where as in 4th gear if u punch it the tranny will usally drop to 3rd gear, In any case In my style of driving it's better for me to be in D-3 plus it saves the tranny from doing extra work since it's not going up and down gears more often since in D-4 it's set for lower RPM gear changing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
after attempting some starts i too have found u get a better start at a bout 1k hmmm odd i think but hey what ever it takes. i am off to the races to find out my quarter time yeeee ha babay

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
HATE_ME_NOW said:

U may be right for your area but in Ga we have some pretty long streets where your next stop light may be anywhere from a 500feet away to quarter of a mile down, most of the time your on avenues cruising around 35-45mph, and around that speed your usually on 4th gear in the low 2000RPMs, where as in 3rd gear your around 3000RPM and if u need to accel quick your already around peak RPM torque where as in 4th gear if u punch it the tranny will usally drop to 3rd gear, In any case In my style of driving it's better for me to be in D-3 plus it saves the tranny from doing extra work since it's not going up and down gears more often since in D-4 it's set for lower RPM gear changing.
Yeah, that makes sense in terms of keeping the tranny from down shifting. I know when I punch it and the tranny downshifts there is definite lag time before the gear engages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.