Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just raced my freind's 99' BMW 328 automatic. The one with 190 or 180 hp. We raced around 3 times and we were side by side each time cept when i missed a shift into second gear. We both got up to around 90 and then stoped. I drive a 89 coupe. I was surprised I kept up with it. Just thought i would share my story with ya guys. Has anyone taken any 328s, I imagine it would be easy for a G2?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nice job man! Thats awesome. A buddy of mine has an 88' 325es i think. And its pretty fast. He hasnt really done much under the hood. Im guessin our cars were made to compete with models like those. Its weird, people look at our cars and dont expect them to be as fast as they are. My friends are blown away. I couldnt imagine the G2's 3.2L!!! THats insane! this guy i know just bought a 95 eclipse, and thinks he can beat me in it. hah, then he said he had a 2.0L 4 banger. I told him about mine. LoL good job man. keep up the stories

peace
-bryan

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Is that a 2.0L Turbo or Non Turbo Eclipse?

The turbo edition would kill the G1. The non-turbo sucks.
It reminds me of Mustang V6 engines lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will always have a good chance against any of those BMW's, I have won many a race against them. I like to see that I am not the only one who has set their sights to larger targets than the Civics and Eclipses out there. First Gen is just as potent as the Second Gen. The only real difference is that the Second Gen has more mods available.

I just went on a road trip a couple of days ago, and I seriously had to laugh. Every so often I would get some idiot that seriously thought that they could beat me. First it was some Durango, then it was a couple of Civics that was easy. Then of all the things I had this Stupid little Ford Focus, ZX3 who thought that he could handle the 6. That was the funniest, I only got some decent competition from a Mercedes Kompressor, that one topped me out at 135-140. But it was still fun. I have many stories in my Legend, and I am sure that there will be many more

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well comparing the G2 to the G1, I would say the G2 has the edge. I raced a 92 coupe and he pulled away quickly. I also used to own a 94 sedan and I think my coupe could beat it off the line since it is a stick but in top end i belive it would get killed.
Very very impressive for a 2.7 liter thou.

·
Registered
864 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Is that a 2.0L Turbo or Non Turbo Eclipse?

The turbo edition would kill the G1. The non-turbo sucks.
It reminds me of Mustang V6 engines lol.
Nah man. Its just a 2.0L sad huh? yah, my uncle has a 3.5L V6 mustang. Theyre sluggish. Ahhh! American cars! I'd only be cought in another Cadi
peace
-bryan

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
LOL

The new V6 mustang is a little more respectable ~190HP. But most of them just plain suck. The mid90s verisons had like 145HP :D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
saimerej

saimerej, do you have an Auto or a Stick? Those are some nice kills. Haven't had the opportunity to do something like that, too many cars, not worth the risk for me. Maybe when I got to Vegas, not many cars on the way there hehe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
To All Of You G1 Owners!!!!!!!!!!!

You Guys and Gals (if any) need to STOP SLEEPING ON YOUR G1 LEGENDS. I've raced a 95 BMW M3 and WON THATS RIGHT I said I raced a 1995 BMW M3 and KILLED him. Lets take the 325 BMW they are topping out with 189-190 horsepower buy the time the power is transferred to the rear wheels they're looking at 150-155 horsepower because they lose 20% of the power because they are rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive cars don't lose that much horsepower when its being transferred to the front wheels because the drive shafts, engine, and transmission are all linked together. If you go to the BMW dealer and read the top speed of even the new 3 series it will say top speed 128 m.p.h. exept for the new M3 we all know they are governed to do 155 m.p.h. Although a 1995 BMW M3 has 240 horses they weigh 200 pounds more than a G1 legend and after the power is transferred to the rear wheels they are looking at 160-190 horses. So if you guys ever take the time to do your homework you will find that even the new 3 series BMW will fall prey to the G1 Legends exept for the new BMW M3s you will certainly bite the bullet on that one. I also have a friend who owns a G2 Legend sedan and he told me he raced a G1 coupe and he just could not brake lose from it. Next time we have a meet and you guys are there I'll bring some no doze because it seems to me that either you guys are sleeping on your cars, really don't know the potential of a Legend, or you really don't have faith in your car or your driving skillz. Sorry to be so cruel but you guys REALLY NEED A WAKE UP CALL. :mad:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Re: To All Of You G1 Owners!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Bigs said:
Sorry to be so cruel but you guys REALLY NEED A WAKE UP CALL. :mad:
bwahahahhaa...
man, I understand your frustration.
G1's , on a rolling start, are pretty powerful performers.

I destroyed a Integra GS-R (going from 30-90 mph) once, in my G1..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an automatic, but I can drive it like a stick to a certain point. I don't just sit there and drive. I love to take on the challenges of the high end cars. I really don't care whether I win or lose. though for sure I prefer to win. but the whole point of racing is to see how far you can push the limits of your vehicle. We have an ideal car to do this in. The potential in the Legend is amazing. With a little digging you can find all sorts of engine modifications, for them. As a matter of personnal preference I would much rather have engine mods than body mods, (i.e. indiglo speedos, clear corners.) Sure that stuff looks nice on cheap cars, like civics and neons, and little stuff like that, but how often do you see a BMW all thrashed like that, or a Mercedes. Hardly ever. You see the slight engine mods, some suspencsion and wheels. Classy. You just have to be secure enough in yourself, to own a classy sleeper car, that will come up and pimp slap them little cars.

Besides if your good like me, it really doesn't matter what the car looks like, cause all the competition should be seeing is your rear end.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Jealous competitions

Its all about Jealous competitions!
When you Drive a Legend the competition on the streets next to you look and judge you and the car right on the spot! They do that Assume thing! we all know what that makes them!

They be like:

1. "never saw that car before. I am sure its krap"
2. "that car is so old its at the end of its road"
3 "my car is newer and better, I know I can beat a legend"
4 " they have so many mods for my car, the legend has none. it cannot test my car"
5. "My car is a v8 and v 8s are better!
6. "that car is krap, thats why the stopped making it"
7."They might have got that v6 emblem from ebay.
This one is a good one
8. "This guy/gal has no RIMS or Exhaust. He cannot test me"
Do not judge a legend by its cover!
#6 is from ignorant people

What they do not know
1. A Stock legend 's spec is better than allot of news cars close(Keyword CLOSE) to its class
2. The legend does not have a v4. It has a V6
3. The legend has a few Mods and If I can help it, more is on its way.
4. The stock legend is still all good without mods. try to say that for civics and wanabeons! (LOL Get it Neons=wanabeons)
5. Legends are always the underdogs but winners at the same time.
6. The legend is Performance in a luxury car.
7. Legends was stopped in 95
8. Some G2 legends was one of the few with a 6 speed gearbox when they came out. feature. Some people put money down saying nothing go like that and they always loose it.
9. someone just reminded us of that automatic door pull! neat
(you do not have to slam the hell out of the door)
10. People with bad remarks about the legend 98.9% of the time has never driven one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Automatic door pull? Whats that? I gotta slam my door just to close it..but thats caus its heavy compared to the other car.
Mr. Bigs. dont get me wrong, im about the most biased and an Acura lover to the fullest, but i really doubt what you are saying about the BMW's. Even with the base v6 engine of 190HP they can go 0-60 in mid 7's. Thats due to the fact of the tuning of BMW. THats how they can have so little HP and still do well in acceleration. I also doubt the M3 could lose at least 143HP due to powertrain losses. Thats just not BMW. I have lots of pride in ACura and i agree with all of you that they are sooo soo strong w/ its age...but c-mon you gotta be realistic..BMW's can tune their cars.

AcuraGuy

·
Registered
386 Posts
What some of you guys fail to realize!!!!!

What some of you guys fail to realize is first the BMW 3 series is alot heavier than a G1 Legend so the power to weight ratio has to play a factor in the equation. Second of all the BMW 3 series is rear wheel drive which means they lose 20% horsepower when its being transferred to the rear wheels. Third most of them have govenors on them which means once they hit a per-determined speed they will fall on there face. You also have to figure that one Legends don't have govenors, two they are front wheel drive so they don't lose that much power to the front wheels, three they are much lighter than a 3 series BMW hence the power to weight issue. A G1 Legend can and will top out at 140 m.p.h. were as a 3 series BMW tops out at 128 m.p.h. just go to neighborhood BMW dealer and read the specs on the 328 or the 330ci and you will see. In 1990 the G1 coupe had and still has a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds as does the 3 series BMW. As for the 1995 model I raced he and I both know I spanked his a$$. You guys and gals just because its a BMW doesn't mean it can't be taught a thing or two. The only BMWs I won't mess with are the new M3s and the older ones with tons of mods on them but, if I had the dough right now my G1 would be in the shop getting a rebuilt engine putting out 271 horsepower and with the mods I have already done along with the ones I'm gonna do I'll bet the horsepower rate will somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 horsepower in a G1 Legend Coupe. Now that would be and if I have my way it will be a sleeper. I'm telling you guys when you lose 20% of your horsepower to drive the rear wheels it can hurt you in the long run. Just imagine you have $1,000,000 and you have to give up 20% of it which is $200,000 to someone you don't like. If you think of it that way than maybe you can see while a well maintained and modified G1 Legend with front wheel drive can still out run some of the new competion. Go do your homework boys. What you all really need is to go against a new 330ci and than you tell me how you did. I bet you'll be amazed.:cool:

·
Registered
864 Posts
hmmm

I hear yah AcuraGuy : Im not to sure of it either. My good buddy has an 86' 325es, and its fast. im kinda scared to race mine against his. Im not the best speed racer (just yet anyway, only had 2 months with the car) but its fast. Im sure my uncles 02' 540 could kick mines ass. And his wifes new 3drop-top would prolly eat mine too. I think i under-estimate my car, however. not by that much. M3's are freakin fast! Im just not sure. anyway, not sayin youre lyin man, but im with AcuraGuy on this one. im sure ill see one day

-bryan

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mr. Bigs.... Just because a car is rear wheel drive does NOT mean that it loses more power than a front wheel drive... In fact, a front wheel drive is MORE likely to have a higher loss as you must re-direct the power so you have less room in the casing to put gears. Rear wheel drives have the advantage here because power is sent in a fairly straight line. Power loss is determined by the final gear ratios determined by adding up all the losses in all the gears the power goes through between the engine and the rear wheels. Also a rear wheel drive car has quite a significant advantage by transferring weight to the rear wheels as you accelerate and a front wheel drive losses the weight over the drive wheels as it accellerates...

Now all of that said, Honda builds excellent transmissions with remarkably small losses... But so does BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and all the other WELL BUILT (not Ford or GM... etc..) sportier cars. Don't get me wrong, we have excellent cars that will take most others on the road, but don't wrongly ASSume that because a car is rear wheel drive, it doesn't have the power... Hondas (Acuras) are just built well enough to compete with rear wheel drives... NOW THAT'S AN ACCOMPLISHMENT !!!

Look it up

My $.02

·
Registered
541 Posts
the new bmw 325 weighs 3200 lbs. so thats not to much heavier. Also the HP/weight ratio is 19.8 pounds.. something like that. Its on my website along with other car's HP/weight ratio including Ours Truely..Acura Legend.

I dont mean to flame or always bringing up negative comments, but i do agree with alll of you guys that Acuras are NOT meant to be underestimated. I get that crap so much.. I agree that we gotta spread the word.. or hell, race them and let them figure it out!

http://www.geocities.com/azianpeepz/rsx.html
HP/weight ratio stuff

·
Registered
270 Posts
Merc. Mystiques SUCK.... My parents own one and it's a SLUG 'specially compared to my Legend !! :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts