Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were both neck and neck!

He was behind me at the red light. As soon as it turned green, I accelerated a little faster than normal but was not pushing my car at all. As soon as he passed the car in the next lane, he quickly jumped into that lane and was gunning it to which he got beside me. I was ready to shift into 3rd when I decided to punch it as well and continue reving in 2nd up to 7000RPM. We raced up until 117 MPH or so until he hit his brakes as we were approacing a moderate turn. It was safe taking that slight turn at that speed but I think he slowed down being cautious of any police around the corner so I immediately braked as well.

The ENTIRE time both of our cars were side by side, not one passing the other.

I'm happy that I can keep up easily with a 300HP BMW of comparable size. Of course my mods have quite a bit to do with it :D

G

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
:D wow, I really think the bmw 5 series and acura legend both have similar body design... that's why I want a 5 series or M series... (but i don't deserve one yet). nice to hear that you kept up with him. our legends really have nice high-end speed... wait your legend has really nice high-end speed. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow good job keepin up. You'd prolly beat 'em after fixin up that bad HG. Too bad I got whipped by a 540 wagon weeks ago, shoulda max out as those things had speed governors?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nathan_Rd said:
Wow good job keepin up. You'd prolly beat 'em after fixin up that bad HG. Too bad I got whipped by a 540 wagon weeks ago, shoulda max out as those things had speed governors?
eh... not really... I think 540 w/ sport package would have a limiter at................. 150mph..................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep the 540i w/ sport pack goes to 155, but the wagon did not seem to have that option. I believe the BMWUSA.com saids 128 was the top sp for the wagon though. But governors are meant to be taken off like those Penske rental trucks.;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
well it's not about a Bimmer but I'll feel like sharing. :D
a while ago, a friend of mine that goes to U of Rochester was going down to the city and stopped by Binghamton to drive home together. He drives a black on black 98 Audi 2.8 Quattro. On the way to NYC there's a stretch of road that is damn straight for miles n miles on the 380 South with relatively no cops. We were both crusing at around 85 mph and we looked at each other, nodded, and both floored it. I honestly thought that I would fall behind but the amazing thing is I kept up with him till about we hit 120 mph. I think he was suprised that I was able to keep right by his side and so was I. I drive a 93 LS Coupe by the way. We never officially raced from dead start cuz he has 18's on and usually doesn't race cuz he dosen't wanna ruin his rims. maybe it was the added weight of the rims or something but yeah I love my baby.

·
Registered
248 Posts
wow, hmmm, from my experience I have never had a trouble blowing by audi a4s, regardless of whether its the 2.8 or the 1.8t, even teh new audi a4 with the new 3.0L and 6 speed is only rated at 7.8-8sec 0-60, I would think our coupe would be able to take the audi easily, especially at high speed :)

b

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
This goof ball at my school has like a 99 A4 1.8t and was asking people if my car was fast so it sounds like a race coming up hehe. He knows how fast it is b/c i romped him in his 2001 celica befor he wrecked it.

Good work with the BMW man and i love your car to!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Audi's 2.8 liter is a piece of s h i t!!! Car magazines always diss that engine. Audi's are about style, good handling and quattro, not so much about speed (unless you get an S model, of course).

·
Registered
580 Posts
U can get anything U want at Alice's Resteraunt

I see you have been taught well to kill kill

kill
kill

hehehehe

killlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Nice going

I remember when my 1st Legend Coupe (88L) took on
a 1990 BMW 325 and blew his doors off one late nite.

I think he was very confused that a Honda/Acura could do that

Remember that is when the Acura was the only Honda with a 6 banger, all others where 4 bangers. So it was indeed fun
to see his headlights in my rearview mirror when he was trying to catch up.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love the Black Coupe

I think you should put the killer R33 tails on it so no one will
mess with ya!

Regards, James

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
theGodfather,

Are you sure it was a 540i? Could it be a 525-28? From my experiences there is noway our Legend can outrun a V-8 5 series. I've done lots of research on the 540s cuz I am planning on getting one this year, and all the numbers and specs indicates the same outcome. Even the 535 will out perform the Legend.

I have driven a number of them and the acceleration is by far more powerful than our Legends.

Specs.
4.4 V8 32 Valves
282 Hp with 310lb of Torque
0-60 in 5.5 (6speed)
1/4 mile in 14.1
Top Speed is 155 mph

Here's an 1998 article from Car and Driver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...i.xml?Manufacturer=BMW&Name=5-Series&class=43

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mckenzie93 said:
Nice kill:)

Did you get your HG all fixed up?

How 'bout those headers?:D
Heheh, thanks, however it wasn't technicaly a kill. It was a draw! Neither one of us could pass each other.

I'm still saving up $$ for the job. It's taking longer as I'm also going to be doing alot to the internals :D Many nice upgrades.

The headers I put on hold due to 2 reasons A) lack of interest from members in this forum in supporting my GB on them and B) $$ I was going to use in making myself a set is now allocated to my blown head gasket job.

However, after this si done, Headers are definetly going to be put back on the burner as well as other things :D

G

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TYPEII said:
theGodfather,

Are you sure it was a 540i? Could it be a 525-28? From my experiences there is noway our Legend can outrun a V-8 5 series. I've done lots of research on the 540s cuz I am planning on getting one this year, and all the numbers and specs indicates the same outcome. Even the 535 will out perform the Legend.

I have driven a number of them and the acceleration is by far more powerful than our Legends.

Specs.
4.4 V8 32 Valves
282 Hp with 310lb of Torque
0-60 in 5.5 (6speed)
1/4 mile in 14.1
Top Speed is 155 mph

Here's an 1998 article from Car and Driver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...i.xml?Manufacturer=BMW&Name=5-Series&class=43
TYPEII, I understand your argument but it was definetely a 540. It had the badge on the back, but in case he riced it, I did notice dual exhaust tucked under the rear bumper and the stock deep dish rims that come with the 540. I have raced a 330 before and beat him (not by much though, but if it was a longer race I would have killed him more). Now if it was a 530, I doubt a car that weighs about 700-800lbs more than the 330 with the exact same engine be able to keep up with me.

I also did not beat him but rather it was a tie. Neither one of us was able to get ahead of the other, it was side by side the entire time.

On your specs, you did not mention the weight of the 540 which is just as important as HP in determining acceleration. Also I raced an automatic 5-speed version, I'm sure a 6-speed would have got me.

Last, you cannot compare the specs of a stock 6-speed Legend to that car as I have a couple of performance modifications to which I am still waiting to dyno. That straight-pipe does wonders for performance gains.

I hope I do run into another one and have another match to make certain but I am convinced it was a 540.

G

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Oohh, Straight Pipe, always wondered how much something like that gains...With the Smog Inspections though, that would be a problem in Caliofornia :(

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
theGodfather said:

On your specs, you did not mention the weight of the 540 which is just as important as HP in determining acceleration. Also I raced an automatic 5-speed version, I'm sure a 6-speed would have got me.

G
theGodfather,

The car weighs about 3700lbs. You might be right if it was an Auto, they are alittle slower than the 6spd. Ya the 6spd with a 0-60 time of 5.5 sec compare to our Legend of 6.4 and given yours with a straight pipe and mods, say 6.0 is still no match.

When I get my 540 for sure a Dinan SuperCharger is going in, times drop to:
4.2 in 0-60 and 1/4 in 12.58
Hp rises to 450hp and torque up to 404lb.
and get this top speed of 191 mph +

Anyways, it sounds like you have tons of work to do with the Legend, hope all goes well. :D :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Agreed!

Manual vs. Automatic.... no comparison in that car.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or you can do what I do, my straight pipe has a removal section that bolts onto flanges that will allow the cat to be mounted back on. Here in Ontario we have smog tests as well every 2 years. I just have to take the "test pipe" right out, slap in the cat, do the test and off the cat goes and my pipe back in! :D

G

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TYPEII said:

When I get my 540 for sure a Dinan SuperCharger is going in, times drop to:
4.2 in 0-60 and 1/4 in 12.58
Hp rises to 450hp and torque up to 404lb.
and get this top speed of 191 mph +
Bye bye M5 :p

Anyways, it sounds like you have tons of work to do with the Legend, hope all goes well. :D :D
Thanks. I'm also making sure I get the best guy for the job. I want to build the internals of my engine to handle whatever I give it (forced induction is in the plans, and then I can race you in your DINAN 540 :D).

G

1 - 20 of 21 Posts