Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a buddy of mine is talking all bs and wants me to race him. He has a 90 honda accord, auto and has exhaust and intake. He thinks his accord is better than my legend and can beat it easily. He especially wants to race on the highway. His car is lighter than mine and my tranny is not 100%...makes noises.

I have an auto 89 coupe.

Is this even going to be close and are all those mods going to make his 125 horses beat my 160?

I know off the line it will be close at first..but on the highway?

Should i use the S mode? hit s3 and hit s4 around 80? or would drive work better when racing.

Thanks

- Jiggs

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
"S" mode is better when racing. It has better shift points, no overdrive, and is not on "Fuel Conservation" mode. Shifting wise, I think as soon as you start to get too high on that redline in S3 then hit the button and go into S4. Think about it, would Honda make it's Honda Accord able to hang with the Legend in the same years? hehe, I think not. Just remember, the Legend knows to go fast only when you have the pedal to the floor. I love the way the car goes silent for 1 second and then goes nuts with power.. muahahaha.. oh sorry. :)

Don't break your tranny :p

·
Registered
864 Posts
Jiggy:

#1- Expect to hear from Mr. Biggs very soon LoL He'll have some stuff to say hehe.

and #2-
DUDE! Youre Legend kicks... @ss!!! Trust me! Future X is right on... Acura/honda wouldnt let the honda cars beat the Acura's. Your friends alllllll talk bud! :rolleyes: My buddy has an 86 BMW 325ES, its fast... im worried about it... but i think that would be some real competition. Listen man... Youre car is more then likely faster then a brand new Accord(!!!) I know that our Legends have been known to beat civic SI's (honda's "Fast" car LoL) I heard that a guy (In a G1) raced a 95 BMW 3series and left it in smoke. Dont under-estimate your extremly well made car. And to my knowledge (which could be wrong) is that Our Legends have Honda's (Acura's) first V6 engine?!! A buddy of mine had an EX accord that was an 89, and it didnt have a V6 (i dont think they were avail.) so, no worries, take your friend, follow future's suggestions on shiftin' and show him why he has a honda sign on his steering wheel... why his car couldnt own up to an Acura name plate (NOTE: -- never capitalize "honda"... unless speaking of the engine in our Acura's. Hehehe) :p Anyway my friend. Take your cocky lil buddy to tha streets. dont let your Acura down by bein afraid of a 'low end' car hehe. All I have on my car is a tripple plate clutch and a full exhaust (adding just a minor few horses) and im more then confident on racing my buddys mom's 01' Accord EXV6. No probs. This is it dude... they're sedans... FAMILY CARS!!! we have Luxury Sport Coupes! Have no fear.. and if my extremly long post still has u uncertain.. check out some other forums here about racing other cars.... Im still looking for a car that would be competition. Acura integras? Hell no! theyre too slooooowwwww.... no fun. trust me. your car can fly. just push that pedal till it wont go no more! take care, tell us how it goes. Oh... And dont forget to laugh at your friend for me. :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Actually, i disagree. You should still capitalize H for Honda..afterall, without Honda, there is no Acura. And everytihng else i agree, go out there and beat that Accord!! But i am kind of sad.. After all that legend2die4 said, i lost to a 86 Celica 5 spd today. It was a race but it wasn't a "race", ya know? He beat me in midrange, 50-80? but i had not floored it, thus not downshifting and i had to slow down because of a truck infront of me, but i hope to live up to the Legend name and whoop his ass later!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Very-tru acuraguy... w/o honda... thers no us. i love hondas like no other! trust me! I wouldnt really want to drive anything else. I didnt mean to diss our beloved hondas! LoL, i was just messin around cus his friend put his accord on the same level as a Legend! but anyway...

-bryan

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you only going to race him with your tranny set to use first gear ONLY ??? That's the only way he has a chance !! LOL

Seriously...Make sure you don't damage the tranny anymore than it already is... Proving yourself to HIM isn't worth losing the tranny...

Good luck !!

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I used to drive a 89 accord, trust me he can't beat you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
omg dude.... they have NO chance. gawd. u can beat em in drive if u want to.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Racing

Just one thing to remember:
Transmissions cost plenty o' dough.
If your trans was in peak form, I'd say waste his a$$, but if you think of the long haul, is it worth a possible $1500 rebuild?

Honda vs. Acura (or who's your daddy)
Yeah, I came from my dad, and he's older and wiser, and I respect what he has done for me, but guess what? I can still kick his ass in a foot race ... :D :D :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used to have a '90 accord dx sedan automatic. The engine was in good shape with no mods and it topped off at about 115 mph. Even with intake and exhaust it just simply doesn't have the power. However, it does have a sports mode button that changes the shift points so that it revs higher - But i found that peddle to the metal it was the same. Anyways off the line it will pull slightly ahead probally... (bc it weighs about 2700 lbs vs about 3300 lbs) but once you get up to about 40 mph you should be able to smoke him easily. As far as highway.. just put the peddle to the metal or else you won't rev high... im not sure what the Legend tops off at but im sure its higher. Intake and exhaust probally get him about 20 HP more... but that cars not tuned for performance. prolly about 145 HP vs 161 HP. You do the math. Also im pretty sure that the Accord won't gain as much torque with those extra 20 HP as you have stock. Also... your Legend handles a lot better. Just give it a go and tell us how it works out.

'90 LS coupe

20% tint
Custom clear bumper lenses
Custom mesh grill
Kenwood 10 disc CD
165,000 miles

·
Registered
386 Posts
You Guys Know I Had To Get In On This!!!!

Here is the deal the Accord you speak of has no way of beating you. Simply put a snowball has a better chance surviving in hell than he has out-running your legend. As for the tranny I wouldn't chance it. Why punish the tranny when its on its last leg anyway. If your tranny breaks during or after the race than you SH*T OUT OF LUCK and than where will you be. First things first take care of the tranny, show your friend what legends are made of, laugh at him after the race, and last but not least come back to the forum and tell us all how you kick his @$$. As for the guy scared to race the 325es. If you have a 5 speed than the GODS of speed are on your side. I'm not saying that the bmw is a slouch but, when you are racing him ( AND NOT A 1/4 MILE RACE EITHER ) when you start to reach the top end you will understand all the things I have been telling you guys all a-long. When it comes to the top end LEGENDS JUST HAVE LONGER LEGS THAN ALOT OF CARS. TO THE GENTLEMAN WHO LOST TO A CAVALIER SHAME ON YOU, JUST SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON YOU. Now go to the blackboard and wright out 100 times I WILL NOT LET A CAVALIER KICK MY BUTT.:D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
bs

Jiggy89LS said:
does the tornado thing work, i saw the add today

i wanna try it.... 70 bucks
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DONT DO ITTTTTTTTTT

·
Five- O
857 Posts
HEY JOSE

So I shouldn't get rid of my weapon - r and get the tornado CAI
:p

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had a 91 Accord SE, which is basically an EX and although it was nice, the engine was gutless. This guy with the Accord is an idiot. Intake and exhaust won;t bring him anywhere near the torque that the legend has. Those cars aren't much lighter, are they? Anyway, that guy needs a good ass whoopin!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not only do you need the Tornado fuel saver, you need the power enlarger too!! You know, the magnet you put on your fuel line to make it magical superfuel! maybe even nitromethane!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't get that tornado thing - big waste of money. They tested it on a BMW and it didn't change anything at all. Put your money into some other mod. Also i don't think you can do cold air and tornado.

'90 LS coupe

20% tint
Custom clear bumper lenses
Custom mesh grill
Kenwood 10 disc CD
165,000 miles

·
Registered
199 Posts
hahah me i lost to az24 cavalier not the regular one the regular one ill smoke it by 10 cars the z24 cavalier pushing 160 horsepower but its a lot lighter than or great acuras u figuere it out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts