Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best way to race with a G1 5-speed without burning out the clutch (how high should I rev to before dropping it). I don't want to have to replace my cluthc again.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
acpac_jet said:
whats the best way to race with a G1 5-speed without burning out the clutch (how high should I rev to before dropping it). I don't want to have to replace my cluthc again.
At the track, its dependant on the weather. Hot days i can go to 3300. cold 1800. on surface streets a 15-2k dump clutch work out the best....for my car anywayz

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that low? I don't think it will work on my legend, I gotta rev it up to like 2k-2500 normally to start from a stand still.

I tried reving it to like 6000k once and dumping the clutch. Burned out like a mofo (had to let off, b/c I thought I was going to burn the rubber off the tires), and I busted the flex pipe. $180 job. Not quite worth it, but almost, it was pretty insane when I did it, and a little stupid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Umm.. shifting at 1800 rpm :confused: ... i must be reading that wrong. I cant see how it would even be possible to shift that low.

Maybe you're talking about only from first to second? Even so i'd wait till 3000 from 1st to 2nd.. and with other gears until at least 4500, probably 5500 or 6000 (if redline is like 6400) in a race... and at around 3,000 for normal driving.

I must not have understood that , sorry, someone clarify :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, I never shift at 1800 prm. I'm talking about a clutch dump. In a race, I shift around 5500-6000k, depending on how I feel (i Haven't quite figured out the best palces for each gear yet). But I really don't know where to dump the clutch (from a standstill), which is what I'm asking.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
acpac_jet said:
no, I never shift at 1800 prm. I'm talking about a clutch dump. In a race, I shift around 5500-6000k, depending on how I feel (i Haven't quite figured out the best palces for each gear yet). But I really don't know where to dump the clutch (from a standstill), which is what I'm asking.
Again, i was just stating what works with my car. i find if i launch @ 2200-2500 that the tires spin too much. 1800-2100 gives a minor bog but it still gives better accelleration than if i were to spin them. launch RPM's make a difference in my 60' times & ive run my legend over 60 times @ the track these past two years, & what ive stated in my earlier post works...but do what you wish. Your car might handle launches better then mine.

BTW, shift points that work for me
1-2 shift: 6400
2-3 shift: 6400
3-4 shift: 6200

& i dont know the last shift because the 1/4 is over before then
& i shift @ 6200 from 3-4 because if i waited till 6400 id be crossing the line midshift. Also winding third out to 6700 as i crossed the line gave slower 1/4 times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts