Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to the shop the other day to get both front axels changed and when up on the hoist the mechanic pointed out that the rack and pinion boot on the pasenger side was all deteriorated and the one on the driver side was in bad condition too. He told me I was gonna have to get the whole new rack and pinion unit because the seels in it were damaged. Acura of Agusta offered $$350$$ rebuilt is there a cheaper way to fix this.Would I be able to to just replace the boots???:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Repair is dependent upon how many miles on the vehicle and how long you estimate the boots have been torn. If you have 100,000+ miles then install an OEM replacement rack. Have the rack checked for wear/play There is some adjustment which could be made. Check with Acura to determine whether a seal kit is available. The HELM does indicate that seals are to be replaced upon rack disassembly. Frankly, I have never had to replace dust boots on any vehicle. The Joints or Rack have always worn to the point of replacement before a boot deteriorated. You might be able to replace the cylinder seals, adjust the rack, replace the boots (dust seals) and be on your way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't replace the entire rack to fix the dust boots!

If your rack is not leaking I would just replace the dust boots and get it aligned. I just replaced my boots and it wasn't that bad. A or Augusta has the boots, bands, clips, etc. I think the total cost is around $40 for all parts. The worst part is getting the band clamped on the boot where it attaches to the steering rack. There is not enough room to pull the band tight enough to clamp it. I ended up using a plastic tie-wrap for now. I know that's not a permanent answer, but better than nothing. Maybe the Helm's book will show a better way to get the band on. I'm still waiting on my books... See post about 'Urgent Help needed...'

·
Registered
41 Posts
My rack and pinion is leaking a bit. The tie on the driver's side boot has come undone.

Has anyone ever had the r&p replaced? Cost?

My car is making a clunk when turning to the left and also when I first press the brake down to stop (only one clunk...then nothing)

I have a '93 L coupe 69K miles auto tran.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts