Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so my upper rad hose burst last night... not fun.

fixed it this morning but my concern is what happened to my damn headlight.

it seems as if the steam from the busted hose got into one of my lights and fogged it up real good, so now it looks rediculous with one crystal clear light, and this.

it hasnt cleared yet, and if its from the coolant, well i guess theres coolant on the surfast of the inside of my headlight.

im pretty worked up about it right now.. so im just wondering what kind of possible solutions anyone can throw my way.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Honestly man, the foggy headlight should be the least of your concerns. Why did the hose burst in the first place? It's usually not a good sign. Is your coolant revervoir overflowing too? Is the car heating up?

As for the headlight, you can wash it out but it would be best to take it out and clean it properly. But getting it out is a mission in itself; you need to remove the bumper and bumper support.

You could remove the bulbs, wiring harness, cover up the areas around it and flush it with a garden hose and hope all the water drains out through the drain holes. You could then force out the remaining water with compressed air. But it would be much easier to take it out, wash it and leave it out to dry.

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dan those are some excellent suggestions.. ill have to settle with one.
currently i was getting prepared to remove the bumper and re-bar and just clean the headlight.. but wont the headlight need to be disassembled? i read something about using the oven to accomplish this a while back.. or can i just flush it while i have it out like mentioned above.

as for the rad hose, i cant tell you why it burst.. there was a rip in the bottom where it leaked, and i felt some other weak points. the res level was fine.. and the car isnt heating up at all (after i installed the new hose) but it (obviously) heated up after the burst..

other hoses seem fine, no leaks... anything else i need to check ?? i mean, isnt it normal for these hoses to eventually go once theyre old enough?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you are comfortable with removing the bumper then I'd say take out the headlight and just dunk it in a bucket with water , dish soap and jet dry so that you don’t have any water stains. Its easy to damage the headlights while trying to take them apart, so I wouldn’t attempt it.

As for the rad hose, if it was the original one then it would make sense if it was weak. But whoever did the engine swap should have replaced it. I'd keep an eye on the cooling system just to be on the safe side.

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you're right.. i almost forgot about the jdm swap.
it was done at japan auto parts, dont know too much about them but the hose did look like its seen its day. ill keep a good paranoid eye on eveything in the near future.. i just want this rad issue to be over with, and i thought it was. i hope its over now. it sucks that i wasted all that honda coolant that was only a week old, cost me another $45 for 2 jugs.. and this was at acura 2000 which i thought would be cheaper, lol.

im not entirely confident about the bumper and re-bar... especially after all the body work i had done, who knows what the hell is going on under there.. but id rather attempt it then sit there and have it look like i have a 10 year old headlight.

maybe ill try using the hose while its installed first.. that seems the easiest.

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just take out your bulbs for a day or two so there is two big holes for the water to evaporate faster.
thats what i was thinking vic... but would it not be coolant inside there instead of water??.. which is alot thicker and probably wont evaporate by itself like that..

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I found my problem.
I was pulling out the bulbs to let in some extra air flow and I noticed that I am missing a cap from the backend of the foggy headlight. That has to be how it was exposed... ffs

Anyone know much about these? What they are called, or even a part no.?

thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.