Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just found out that my radiator is cracked at the filler neck. As the pressure builds up, the fluid leaks out (squirts out under pressure), then the fluid level drops and then the car overheats.
SO - my question is, what can I do, can I reapir the crack? Do I have to buy a new radiator? If so, what is the best way to buy a new radiator (factor, aftermarket etc??? - I'm pretty good with reapairs so can I install the radiator myself? - anytricks I need to know.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Kaiser :(

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Man - do you have any comments on how hard vs. easy it is to replace the radiator yourself... is it as simple as draining, removing hoses, unbolting, - then install ?? OR is there some trick to it?
thanks
madison

·
Registered
716 Posts
I didn't check those links, but I would suggest getting a Honda (Denso, I think) OEM radiator. It will be most expensive, but it will be the best way to go. Also, do NOT drive the car while the radiator is in this condition, as you will GREATLY be risking damage to your headgaskets. How bad have you already overheated? If it has spiked all the way to the top in the red, there is a possibility you already have a blown headgasket; if there was a lot of overheating in the red you could have even cracked your heads. In summary, be careful, be patient, don't think this ISN"T a big deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get your radiator replaced ASAP. I had my radiator replaced at Four Season's radiator service (largest radiator parts supplier in U.S.) and had them use Honda radiator fluid (bought it myself at the Acura dealer). My new radiator was all metal and cost me $250 total to purchase and have it installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First - yesterday my wife said the heat wasn't working. I checked it last night and it seemed fine.
Next - this a.m. she was driving to work and called me to say the heat was not working again and the temp guage was at "H" - she had only driven about 2-3 miles total and the temp guage was at "H" for just a few minutes /no more than 1/2 mile. She immieately pulled over and shut the car down.
Next - I went and gave her my car - I put about 1/4 gallon of coolant in the radiator and drove up to work and left the car at the shop. The shop guy called me to say the radiator was cracked at the filler neck.
THEN -i posted my initial post -

SO NOW - i guess I will have an OEM rediator installed and see what happens - I will just hope and pray for now that i don't have a BHG.. But I guess the only way to tell is to install a new radiator and run the car and see if I have BHG symptoms - right?

thanks to everyone.... this is why I joined the group.
madison

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well, your wife is pretty smart. I've heard MEN on this forum sayiing, "I drove it in the red for about a half an hour and it didn't go down at all." HOPEFULLY, you don't have a BHG, but like you said, just wait and pray. Good luck. BTW, you could have the shop replacing your radiator do some BHG testing.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't mean to be the bringer of bad news, but i'd start putting some form of money on the side just in case you blew the headgasket. I didn't drive my car too much with the needle at "H" (less than a mile from home)...and it blew a headgasket. After that I replaced the radiator and all seemed fine, but 2 month or so later i started to notice the temp needle would move to the halfway mark (it usually sits one tick below half)....soon after that I could see the needle was gonna start going up again so i shut her down and took it in for a HG.

$1700 at a Honda Specialty Shop (Not the dealer)....did Timing Belt/Waterpump/Hoses/Headgaskets

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
madison said:
Thanks Man - do you have any comments on how hard vs. easy it is to replace the radiator yourself... is it as simple as draining, removing hoses, unbolting, - then install ?? OR is there some trick to it?
thanks
madison
Well on my '68 truck it takes about 30-45 minutes to do it, acuras i dont know i always have my mechanic do it for me.

FutureX 2001 said:
$1700 at a Honda Specialty Shop (Not the dealer)....did Timing Belt/Waterpump/Hoses/Headgaskets
Wow... it only cost me $900... but maybe thats because I know the owner personally. :2cool:

·
P*mp!
1,252 Posts
do it yourself,....

do it yourself, I did mine about 1 yr ago, it took me 1 hour, no special tools are involved, its really pretty simple,...

oh yeh, I payed 125 for the radiator,...
LABOR: FREE (ME)...
honestly its really not to complicated, PM me for further info,...

vin

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is from the Overheating sticky thread - You can save a lot of money by just taking it to an indy (that I was lucky enough to find). Check this out:

From this thread: http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=524416#post524416

Well, here's an update on the replacement radiator. I'm saving some cash. Here's the breakdown:

-----------------------------------------
Acura Stealership in Hoffman Estates, IL

Radiator $484.60 (12 Months or 12,000 Miles Warranty)
Tax $37.55
Labor $281.00

TOTAL COST: $803.15
The 'Chupper' Version

Radiator $139.00 (Radiator.com - "OEM" - Lifetime Warranty)
Shipping $15.00 (FedEx Overnight Shipping, Saturday Delivery)
Coolant $20.00 (2 Gallons)
Labor $90.00 (Independent shop, works on Acura, Honda, Mercedes, etc.)

TOTAL COST: $264.00

TOTAL SAVINGS: $539.15 (That's a big chunk of change)

Two questions, one from before:
1. How should I start watching out for a BHG? Symptoms?
2. Do I need to give the indy shop 2 gallons of Honda coolant, or more?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, I must be lucky, 2 years w/ cracked Rad...

I got the dreaded crack at the throtle support mount. Tried JB weld, no help what so ever. Drove from Philly to Denver with it leaking and just topped it off every few hours, and kept an eye on the temp gauge, no problems. Drove all over Colorado and Wyoming for 2 years, summer with AC, winter in mountains, no problems, just topped it off every time before I'd start it. I definately noticed it would leak more durring city driving, must be the start/stop motions, because I could drive 2+ hours highway and not leak as much as 1/2 hour running around town.

No head gasket problems ever, BUT I NEVER let it overheat. The few times the temp gauge started rising, I'd immediately pull over and top it off.

Also, anyone wanting to try this non-reccomended method, I found the Peak ready to use rad. fluid leaks the slowest...

IF YOU HAVE DOGS, please be careful, radiator fluid tastes like candy to them, they'll lick it up until they die, even a little can give dogs kidney stones that can shut down thier kidney's and kill them. I've got 3 labs, but I never let them in the garage when they could get at the rad fluid puddles.

Don't get the plastic OEM radiator, it will just crack again around 4 years or 80,000 miles. Anyway the metal ones are cheaper.

i could have easily paid for a new rad with one years worth of fluid, but I didn't have that much $ all at one time then.

Also, saved a bundle by getting the rad, timming belt, water pump, and tune up all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
chupper said:
1. How should I start watching out for a BHG? Symptoms?
2. Do I need to give the indy shop 2 gallons of Honda coolant, or more?
1. Watch the heat gauge if it spikes at the H then 9 times out of 10 you have a blown head gasket. If the needle ever goes half way or above, pull over and turn the car off, have it picked up and towed to a mechanic and have the whole cooling system checked.

2. Yeah sure give it to them, if they have to add more it wont be as expensive as if they were to add it all themselves.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Any repair would be temporary at best. With the Legend's history of head-gasket defects you need to replace the radiator. Go online or local and locate a Modine radiator. This is a DIY repair. Perform a Search as this topic has been discussed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Radiator costs

I had one replaced in my 92LS Coupe at about 75k miles...went for a non-dealer shop and metal rad...think it was about $315 installed w/ warranty 12 months.

It's allready been done on the 94 LS Coupe I have now...20k miles back.

See them on EBAY all the time for around 140 bucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.