Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 88 legend in fairly good condition. Ive replaced the front struts and done a major tune up but now the radiator needs replacing.
I cannot find the upper or lower radiator mounts anywhere if you have any suggestions pleas let me know. Also what else should I replace besides those and the upper and lower radiator hoses? Hardware, other hoses? Also if you have any tips on completing this job in my driveway I am open to any.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Are you talking about the bolts that is holding on the radiator?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its very simple i replaced mine without having done it before.. just removed the top shroud... disconnect all lines transmission cooling lines, lower and upper rad hose, wiring, thermovalve, and make sure you empty the rad first and have a pan to catch any tranny fluid. Pull the rad out just hold the ac hose back with something. Removed all teh fans and brackets, and replace on the new or used rad...drop it back into the bottom mount holes and then reconnect everything. I cant think of any other problems. But i remember my rad was a cool 350 dollars....ugh...lol good luck

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Damn $350? I bought mine for $140.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the radiator brand new for $130 on e-bay, I havent seen it yet but if it fits and dose the job thats all that matters. I am looking for the rubber mounts for the upper and lower. And are there other hoses besides the upper/lower radiator hoses that i need to replace? Like tany cooling lines etc...?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Got my last rad replacement about 3 summers ago from my local junkyard for $10; I know, I'm cheap like that :mhihi: ...pressure tested from shop and all is well ;)

Anyway Tyler, there are quite a few cooling lines to replace if you go this route; feed/return hoses for EACV and the fast idle valve, feed/return hoses for the heater, accessory hoses that are attached to the intake water passage way... otherwise, you'll be just fine replacing both upper/lower rad hoses.

May I suggest though that you perform a complete cooling system flush then replace all associated parts; T-Stat, rad cap and the thermosensor.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info ill get the thermosenso and T-stat. I ordered the mount bushings from the dealer those cost me 50 dollars but no one else had them. I guess ill just dig in and see what else pops up.

·
Legend driver
198 Posts
Replacing the radiator is fairly straight-forward job. I've done it twice now on my 90 sedan. The worst part is the electrical connectors for the fan motors. I just find it impossible to disconnect them when there is no room to get your hand around the connector (and press that tiny release clip thing). This last time, I just ended up twisting the connector back and forth over and over again until the metal tang it was connect to snapped off. Then pull the wires down to a position where you can get a grip on the connector. Maybe someone else has a better way of doing this?

I also got one of those ebay radiators (for like $130). It lasted 7 years before it started leaking and then I put in the second one. I never bothered to change the coolant during those 7 years, so it might have lasted longer if I had done that.

Good luck.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes part 30 and 31 the lower ones are discontinued so I ordered the 89 hopefully they fit. The uppers are on back order for 2 weeks so I guess Ill drive around with a leaking radiator steaming at every stop light for two weeks unless you guys have any ideas. I got the radiator last night and it looks like good. but i dont want to put it in without the mounts the old ones are rotted and/or non existant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy shit I just noticed you can buy those parts there. If I only knew and they are 5 bucks less a piece. Hopefully I can cancell the order at the dealer.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
My upper mounts are done but I still put the new radiator in lol. You should have bought them on-line. I'm about to order them soon.

·
acura-legend.commie
2,498 Posts
it took me about an hour to get mine in and out. hardest part for me was getting the tranny hoses back on, that was a pain, if those went on smoothly, ~20 minutes less on the job.

as for the tranny hoses, i would replace them. and to keep oil from draining, stick punches in them. seals them fine. no oil loss, except whats in the radiator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts