Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well..the top of my radiator is cracked so i got a new one..
is it hard to install? do i need any special tools? or am i
better off bringing it to the mechanic? let me know..thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would not classify it as too difficult, time consumptive definitely. I would not attempt to work on my vehicle unless I had a torque wrench (say 5-80lbs at min, and not without a HELM).

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
744 Posts
ACMatic, Helms - haynes - the point is... its a good idea to get a manual. I prefer the HELM

Roger, ACMatic, yes... you can do everything - including (as I have done... long ago - radiator swap, fairly recently the timing belt/ water pump, and less than a month ago a clutchmasters stage II clutch) without a torque wrench - HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I'd want that level or quality of work performed on my car.

Every bolt and nut on our vehicles has a torque spec - and no one is that good to gauge what they feel is appropriate. I have said so before - I wouldn't want to f up my nice new x drilled, cross cut, cad plated brembos because I didn't torque my lugs evenly to 80lbs - because... after all... you CAN do the job without it (ref. torque wrench).

If you feel the need to ask if you need any special tools - then perhaps - you were refering to any ACURA specific tool (i.e. that is needed during a clutch job) and you don't.

Good luck with the job or the decision to bring your legend to your mechanic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback.. i do have access to the book..and i have a torque wrench.. my next question is.. is it an easy job?
aside from time consumption.. am i gonna run into difficulties (like another part being on the way) ? how long did it take u?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
ACMatic:
The job should take about an hour or so. The most difficult part of the job is manipulating the radiator/fans to clear the battery area. Be careful not to kink or move the throttle cable/cruise cable out of adjustment.You should consider replacing the thermosensor (you need a new gasket anyway) and also the 4 A/T hoses. You also need to replace the radiator cap and do not forget to remove the foam seals from the old radiator and contact cement them to the new. And if your radiator top tank still has the bracket to which the throttle/cruise cables are affixed, remove the bracket.

·
Registered
996 Posts
LPB said:

do not forget to remove the foam seals from the old radiator and contact cement them to the new.
This also applies to the little foam insulators glued to the top sides of the rad. This is very important! My AC stopped working, and I found that a sharp edge on the rad sawed right through one of my metal AC hoses! I'm guessing the reason is that when I replaced my rad last year, the foam insulators weren't replaced correctly.

·
2,873 Posts
Yo wassup Jay,

Which radiator did you get? if you need a helms manual i got one if you needs.

later
jon

ACMatic said:
well..the top of my radiator is cracked so i got a new one..
is it hard to install? do i need any special tools? or am i
better off bringing it to the mechanic? let me know..thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts