Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
I am not sure but I think Tony from Velocity in Atlanta has this mod done in his sedan. He does not post on the forums but you might be able to give him a call at the shop to ask him if he is not busy, 770-455-1993. When I went with one of my old roommates to buy his 98 TL I noticed this that radio looked about the same size as what we have. I would have looked into that stereo if I had purchased a headunit so I could play MP3s.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
does the 96 98 tl have an amp?

· Acura Junkie
216 Posts
i have that generation TL.. the amp is all internal.. not sure if u guys have the dash tweeters and mids up at the dome light like we do, but there are connections in the back for it.. sorry i don't have a pic of it right now... it should work... and they go for like 50 bucks on ebay

· Registered
4,439 Posts
The question is..why would you? Its an all-integrated amp, so the sound quality will probably be worse, it won't fit in the car as well, and your steering wheel controls wont work?

Is this just one of those things people do because they can?

· Registered
2,843 Posts
arnach said:
The question is..why would you? Its an all-integrated amp, so the sound quality will probably be worse, it won't fit in the car as well, and your steering wheel controls wont work?

Is this just one of those things people do because they can?
If you had an L model without the BOSE system, the sound quality probably wouldn't be much different. It's the same size/shape as the Legend radio, so it should fit ok. The main reason I can see for doing it would be the fact that it has a built in CD player, whereas the Legend radio doesn't (obviously). Losing the steering wheel controls would suck though.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea losing the radio control sucks, the sound quality is better you can here it between radios, and yea im changing it because it has a built in cd player. i cant get the power output on the radio because UPS picked it back up today so send it back to the salvage yard i got it from, the cd played wassnt working it gave me an error code (CDP-EO) i call them up and the sent ups to come get it so i can get a refund, i will order another one tommorow, because i like the way it looks in there, and the face of havin a factory cd player.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
From a picture I saw dont they have the blue plug for the controls in the back but their plug has more then one wire off of it

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
the radio from the G1 TL is indeed an internal amp, and the blue plug on the back actually controls tweeters in the dome lamp (harness has four wires). On the G2 Legends, that plug is what controls the steering wheel controls (harness has one wire). For that reason, you will lose the steering controls. It is UNKNOWN just how much power this headunit puts out (even Acura themelves cannot tell you because it was never a selling point therefore never publsized), but it was definitely an improvement in my G1 (looks good too..see pic).

The CD-PEO is a COMMON problem and all TL headunits seem to get it....sometimes a simple CD Player cleaner will work, sometimes it wont....I simply took mine apart, cleaned out all of the old dust and some hair that had gotten into it, and it was 100% better after that. However, sometimes the CD-PEO is a lost cause and you might as well invest in an aftermarket headunit. If you happen to have a headunit that was manufactured in 97 or 98, the CD player is of a better design and will play certain burned CD's whereas the older ones wont play burned CDs at all. Sure the built in single cd player is nice and convenient, but with this HU its is sometimes a gamble and not always worth it....

Heres the pic in my G1.....I cant mentally picture it in the G2 though....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.