Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I joined this board, I felt that I was treated pretty heavy handedly, which is ok. I don't own the board, I don't make the rules. Since then, I have tried to stay within those rules, but I feel like there is a double standard or maybe something a little less sinister going on.

I will be the first one to say I personally draw a certain amount of fire because I know what I'm talking about and I don't make any bones about it. I realize this. I haven't been posting because I want everyone to like me. I'm here because I cut my teeth working on cars that didn't have ANY aftermarket support in a small community that didn't have much of anything to offer, even the basics. Before there were forums, there were e-mail lists, a miserable way to exchange ideas. I want to help someone like me, who isn't afraid to innovate (or Dv8 for that matter) but might not know where to begin or who to believe in all cases.

So I find myself here...before I consider going somewhere else, to make an appeal. My first few posts were more pointed than they should have been, according to the rules. I understand that. I've modded on a number of boards and I understand that a consistently and fairly moderated board is more pleasant for everyone.

So here are my issues (and nobody go digging to find out who I'm talking about):

New members join up and ask a question and some member with 2000 posts tells him to get lost, go search, sell his car, BS, etc. Cui bono - Who Benefits? Most of us I imagine, came to this board looking for answers. Why are some of us now too good to be helpful and point the right way, especially on a board that hawks civility as one of its key rules (#3 for that matter).

Established members seem to get much more latitude than members who haven't spent much time here. I've just been absolutely blasted in a thread and personally attacked by a guy who really needed to chill out and back up his statement or bow out of the conversation. I took a similar path and was banned immediately within a few days of joining, yet I was still contributing solid information. I wasn't familiar with the rules...I was still wrong, but where is the justice for those that know better, by experience? As a side note, the established members calling BS should be ashamed of themselves. In my short time here I've seen some really funny contradictions about what people say they've got, but it doesn't really matter if the discussions lead to positive information exchange and somebody learns something.

I don't understand how some members can totally derail a thread without any merit whatsoever and the mods just lock it. Why is there such a toleration for those that don't contribute anything useful? Is the board so focused on how posts are worded and peoples feelings that the actual content takes a backseat? Don't lock the threads, delete the crap, slap the wrists, and move on guys.

Finally. The deep seated resentment. A couple of times now I've had a guy fight with me tooth and nail over something in a performance section to turn around and say, "I don't really know that much about cars." Is there an inertia in this place that causes people to stop learning and researching? I ask that question at the same time I wonder why these people are making suggestions to others about sophisticated modifications to their vehicles. I've seen the same links over and over...and they aren't to the rules or a FAQ. I would be much more offended if someone told me that my car was 'shit' than if they disagreed with me and provided a reason, even a bad one as to why they felt a certain way. Why is the mudslinging the norm around here? A little trash talk is normal...most of us are male, at least driving age, so the testosterone quotient is high...but why the instant anger? Is the pond really that small?

Maybe I'm missing the point, maybe I'm too old, or too young to 'get it.' I am not so much calling for change, just consideration.

No matter the result of this post, even if the mods move it to the mod section and nobody else ever reads it, I challenge you all to this:

Let the respected veterans start some FAQ building threads (like turbo threads for each generation, nitrous threads, suspension mods, wheel offset, tire size, and bolt pattern). It isn't hard to dump links and references into those threads. Let's gather the knowledge, make sure it's accurate, and put it together.

If we do this and create truly useful, detailed posts that we can link the new guys to when they have 'those' questions, we'll be a million miles ahead of the game. Aggressively moderate those threads and make sure someone keeps them updated regularly...and the winds will fill our sails, with calm seas for all.

GSM

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Let the respected veterans start some FAQ building threads (like turbo threads for each generation, nitrous threads, suspension mods, wheel offset, tire size, and bolt pattern). It isn't hard to dump links and references into those threads. Let's gather the knowledge, make sure it's accurate, and put it together.
I see what your going there. Some people will agree with this and some don't. Its a good start.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
nicely put, and some solid ideas. the community could benefit from everyone reading this. :thumbsup:

·
B.K.A Runa
1,291 Posts
Im wit u. Might have to get at u sometime. I c u n g-boro.

·
One Meeelion HP
2,907 Posts
IMHO, I think your taking the interwebs way too seriously. I found its better to just relax and go with the flow on this forum. You are attempting to stir it up but this forum is like a pot of cold molasses. It seems like everything that could be talked about has already been talked about. Theres only so many times you can answer a question about a J32 swap in a G2 legend with a straight face. If you see a newbie asking a unique question for help, offer your own advice and point them in the right direction. Nevermind what other members have to say even if it's wrong advice or it differs from your knowledge. This has worked pretty well for me. Wish you luck!

-Matt

·
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt,

I'm really not posting for my own experience here. Of course if we had a great set of posts and FAQs to point people toward we wouldn't have to worry about straight faces. We might even cure them of their 'NSX Swap Madness' and get 'em to be contributing members of the forum.

At any rate, it doesn't have to be cold molasses. Let's warm it up.

·
Now-G3Silver-
324 Posts
hey grumpy, whatever happens don't leave. the webs full of loudmouths, but if you leave the forum the ratio of info:bs will get worse.

there seems to be a handful of guys that really know our cars(and they are very much appreciated), the more the merrier.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
As a new member myself, I see some of the points you raise as valid GSM, but am not so sure if they can be changed quickly (or ever). A preference for the established over the new (even if it appears biased) is to me a simple demonstration of human nature. The majority of people around the world appear to display this trait, regardless of whether it is justifiable, and I don't see any how it can immediately be made any different on A-L.com. It's just one of those things where you either display the trait or, as a personal choice, behave differently. But to ask moderators to actually step into the role of district court judges and designate standing of 'fairness' to posts is IMHO simply a bit much to ask at this point. If this was a paying job one day, then perhaps that sort of effort on their part might be warranted. I agree with the principle of what you are saying, I just see no 'real world' implementation strategy apparent at the moment.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion regarding adding to the FAQ/Wiki with 'distilled' threads (e.g. going through the entire "Real Turbo Thread" or "Overheating" thread, extracting all the useful posts/info and condensing that information into a format new members can be easily pointed to). Perhaps sr5guy is right in that much that can be discussed has been discussed, and a lot of it is consolidated too as LegendGS pointed out, but I agree that a lot more could be done in this area. I, for one, am willing to volunteer myself to work on something like this. Of course, there are many on here to whom I would readily defer in terms of both my knowledge and experience, but with their guidance perhaps knowledgeable (but not expert) people like myself can contribute to the project so the burden does not fall upon the 'mods' and the 'experts' (sometimes synonymous, sometimes not) alone.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I agree with everything said by Grumpy. I think that Grumpy is one of the most valuable contributors here and I hope it stays that way.

I especially think that deleting "childish bickering" type posts in a thread is way better than locking it.

Some people come on here and make 1 post and never come back because their thread is hijacked and shitted in or they are called dummys. How many people has this happened to that could have innovated something new for our cars?

·
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LegendGS(and sam o nela):

The comment about FAQs isn't that they don't exist. The point is set simply around the fact that people generally don't come here looking for info that's present in the owner's manual. As for everything else, those links to posts that aren't formal write-ups are quite heavy to wade through to find the 'meat.'

Personally I feel that a site specific wiki isn't very useful and I'm going to stay away from it completely. The wiki-wars can get awful and that's one place even I won't go.

Samblaze: The point isn't that I'm asking for editorial control for every post. The idea is that the enforcement seems to be off the mark. Once again I was asking for consideration, not a rally for change.

To all: I do appreciate the kind words here and via PM, it warms the heart and calms the soul.

I am hoping also that a trend begins with VFAQs (currently working on one now). When I was working on DSMs, those were the most useful posts when I was puzzled by something, by far, I wouldn't be surprised if DSM.org coined the VFAQ term. For those that don't know, a VFAQ is a totally obvious, blow by blow, illustrated/picture filled post detailing how to troubleshoot/repair/replace/modify something.

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
I think that the majority of the links in the G1 FAQ link to pretty straightforward answers and step by step DIYs....

But thanks for the dedication and contributions either way :bowdown:

·
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely. I think I'm going to take on the 3.5RL section as best I can. I realize the longer a car has been around, the more attention it gets (as the enthusiasts start snapping them up and spending money on them), so forgive my 3.5RL tunnel vision. :woowoo:

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
I don't understand how some members can totally derail a thread without any merit whatsoever and the mods just lock it. Why is there such a toleration for those that don't contribute anything useful? Is the board so focused on how posts are worded and peoples feelings that the actual content takes a backseat? Don't lock the threads, delete the crap, slap the wrists, and move on guys.

"I don't understand how some members can totally derail a thread without any merit whatsoever and the mods just lock it"

any threads in particular you're speaking about? I may have missed those in which misinformation took a back seat to bickering. I especially dislike people spouting off incorrect information, and as such would set it straight before i'd even think of locking the thread.

You're on the right track here and Your DIYs and Information threads are really helping. You've already made a name for yourself here, in my book at least.

I noticed you like to search if you have any ideas about what should be a FAQ what should be conglomerated information and what should be discarded voice your opinion. we'll look into it.

:bigok:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
as I've been here I only think it has gotten better, If you think it's bad now you should have been here during the greekpower era. yes there are some members that only live to troll, but they usually slip up in the end and do away with themselves. I've read through your posts, and they are all very informative (i think the track info one should have been sticked) plus you even answered some of my volvo question's and gave me a point in the right directions (still interested in those bricks btw). bottom line is I hope you stay a part of the a.l community, and don't let the trolls get you down, karma tends to take them out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts