Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about integrating a center channel speaker to the stereo system in my 94 Legend. Does anyone have any experience with these or know if adding one would really make a significant difference in sound quality? I've been doing some searches and came across a couple models.

Alpine SBS-0515

Kenwood DSC-900CTR

For product specs on these, click here
Does anyone know anything about either of these models? The Kenwood one looks pretty nice...it's a 2 way speaker and I like the design of it better. But I've always tended to shy away from Kenwood products because I just haven't had very good luck with them (although it's been a few years since I've bought anything from Kenwood). Or any other models I don't know about that you might recommend? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
don't some G2 Legends have a center chanel up with the map lights. I know mine does not, but I cant imagine those speaker covers being there for nothing. I am planning on putting a tweeter in each one and crossing the signal ( IE = Right speaker gets Left chanel ) I figured that would increase the soundstage. I know this won't accomplish the same as the above, but those are designed with surround sound for dvds in mind. It is just like a center channel at your house. You don't need one for just music. Just my Ideas!
Later!
Lee

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Back in the mid 80's to early 90's center channel speakers were teh rave in car audio. There were many dedicated proccessors to drive them as well. Then, when everyone learned about speakerworks using compression horn drivers, and Richard Clark bought the GN from them and made them more famous, center channels where out and horns were in. Then, kick pannels, or speakers mounted to equalize the path length difference because the rave in the late 90's. However, with the new addition of the video erra, and with Dolby Digital (AC-3) and DTS proccessors making their way into car audio, center channel speakers are making their come back.

The problem with a center channel in a car is that you just don't have room to incorporate a proper center channel. In home audio, the center channel is of the same size speaker and same tweeter material and such. The reason for this is the in movies the majority of sound will come from the center channel, and it needs to have a seemless tonal balance between the center, left and right speakers. It is very difficult to do this in a car unless you custom make a lot of room to add an equal driver like your doors have. Either way though, those little center channels can make a huge difference in surround sound applications in a car. I've only heard a few, and it does help and in a way does do an acceptable job. Some better than others.

If you are adding one for movie applications, I would say okay. If not, then I say don't add one yet.

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have been a little more specific in what my application would be. This speaker will be for a DVD setup that I have in my car. I've got the whole Alpine IVA unit and DVD thing going on right now. But I'm actually managing my system through a separate Alpine DSP unit (PXA-H510) equipped with Dolby Digital/ProLogic decoder so I'm sure that I can benefit from the addition of a center channel to help the surround. The processor has a separate output dedicated for a center channel speaker so I don't think I'll negatively affect the imaging by adding one; otherwise, I wouldn't even bother with this upgrade. It's just a thought I'm seriously entertaining since I've got the room to play around.

Thanks for the tips guys.:cool:

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
with that setup you can go with anything you want. If you want some thing really nice build your own with matching speakers and an amp. Then you can make it the right size for your dash. You could always go all out, like was mentioned earlier, and make a custom speaker pod in your dash.
Later!
Lee

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sleeprlegendcp said:
with that setup you can go with anything you want. If you want some thing really nice build your own with matching speakers and an amp. Then you can make it the right size for your dash. You could always go all out, like was mentioned earlier, and make a custom speaker pod in your dash.
Later!
Lee
That would be ideal, but I've always been very hesitant to do custom work to my car (i.e., cutting into it and such) because it's not easily reversible. That's why I like the Alpine and Kenwood unit I mentioned earlier. I can just mount them on the dash or possibly ceiling of my car without involving any custom work. But your suggestion it tempting...;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:
don't some G2 Legends have a center chanel up with the map lights. I know mine does not, but I cant imagine those speaker covers being there for nothing. I am planning on putting a tweeter in each one and crossing the signal ( IE = Right speaker gets Left chanel ) I figured that would increase the soundstage. I know this won't accomplish the same as the above, but those are designed with surround sound for dvds in mind. It is just like a center channel at your house. You don't need one for just music. Just my Ideas!
Later!
Lee
I believe those were the Cell Phone speaker/receiver speakers...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:

I believe those were the Cell Phone speaker/receiver speakers...
Yes, you are correct. Those little speaker grills next to the map lights are for the factory cell phone. Only the G2 coupe came with those.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I finally know. My car has the factory cell phone, so do I have to remove anything before I can put some tweeters up there. Has anyone put stereo speakers up there before?
Later!
Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts