Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· NY Member
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share a heads up with you guys. Kinda got a new respect for driving and keeping your car tuned right.

The other night, I picked up this girl friend of mine in Long Island and I was heading to a bar in Queens. It's been raining and the roads are sloppy. So, I'm driving on the Cross Island Pkwy North heading towards the Throggs Neck Bridge, the bay on my right (with a metal divider), and a divider on my left to separate oncoming traffic. I am, of course, in the midddle lane in case of puddles. There's an Expedition, I believe, in front of me in the middle lane.....maybe 20 yards ahead. In the left lane RIGHT next to the Expedition is a new 02-05 Explorer. Out of nowhere, the Explorer hits a puddle, starts to fish-tail. Missed the Expedition by inches. The Explorer is now wavering in front of me, looking like it's about to flip onto my hood. I slow down sharply but keeping control and holding down the girl in my pass. seat. Mind you, neither of us had seat-belts on.

As the Explorer loses control, it's me and him, the Expedition pulls away. I can literally see the Explorer on my hood, my skull crashed through the windshield. Right as he's about to flip, his tail jutts out and he smashes full speed backwards into the water side guardrail. Then, just as quickly, he comes full speed ahead (now horizontal to me), head on into the oncoming-traffic divider.

I was lucky to be able to pull around him at this point, pull ahead 50 yards, and call 911 to explain what happened. I wish I coulda stopped and helped BUT cars were swerving around the accident, there was NO shoulder on either side, and nowhere to pull over that wasn't dangerous for 2.5 miles. I drove off with a new appreciation for how quickly it could all be over and how important it is to have our cars running properly, especially the tires and brakes.

Be careful out there guys and gals.

-Eric

· Registered
876 Posts
Glad your okay.

Whoa, that sounded like a real close call. I was out there last night too and at times I couldn't even see the lane dividers cause of all the rain. although the legend is not light, it does come through in the clutch IF well maintained as you stated.

Yo, be safe and always put that strap on!

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
It's amazing how fast the ish hits the fan at "highway speeds", isn't it? We get lulled into a sense of security when traffic is flowing, people are doing similar speeds that we are, and then BAM! Something unexpected happens, and suddenly you realize how fast 50, 60, 70 MPH really is...

· Registered
912 Posts
frantinez63 said:
Yeah man, and how quickly it can all change from serenity to chaos.

-Eric
Thats all it takes some times good thing you were alert and braced yourself in stead of panic, glad you three (you the passenger and legend) made it out Okay.

PS seatbelt seatbelt seatbelt :p

Chris (Mr. Wood)

Frost on Ivory

· Registered
686 Posts
Glad that you made out alright! Its a good thing that you have good reflexes.
The one accident that I ever got in was in rain, pretty much the same scenario as yours, so I'm like 10 times careful especially on highways when its raining. Its sad but true that 70% of NY city drivers cant control their cars in panic situations, espcially the SUV folks.
NY sucks, you cant get nice rims or drop your car comfortably because of roads, city is out to write tickets for stupid things, I got a $90 ticket for my front plate a bit tilted when I lost a bolt on it. I'm gonna fight it but still its a waste of time. People dont know how to drive or even follow signal lights. You have to deal with rust causing conditions and idiots stripping your paint if you ever park on the street! Its just ridiculous. :mad:

· Registered
2,169 Posts
yo Eric youre taking some real chances out there with that long island traffic. i once say a mustang merge onto the LIE in the rain , and as soon as he got on, he accelerated to hold a left lane, and lost control and spun around full 360. luckily before he could be hit, all you could see was brake lights. he escaped that one without a scratch.

listen you took a real chance messing around with those LI cops, by not wearing youre belt, they could spot someone not wearing a seatbelt a mile away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.