Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, I have a pretty big problem. Today in Auto Body, I was sanding my rear bumper to get ready to start painting. So I finished that and decided that I was now ready to take off the mudflaps so I did that. Then I wanted to take off the rear bumper so I removed:

2 screws underneath
3 plastic screw inside trunk
A bunch of screws in the wheel well
Some bolts by the tailights from inside the trunk

It feels like the back bart of the bumper is coming off but like there is something on the sides that is keeping it on. :confused:
I want to figure this out pretty soon cause I'm driving around without anything except for probably just a screw or clip holding my bumper on :eek:

Thanks you guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the teacher is really cool, I just got in the class though at the beginning of this semester though, so I haven't been able to do much yet. I have it again next year though, 2 periods a day :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alexander said:
I think there are 2 more bolts that you need to remove on each side of the bumper, very close to the fender. Check that.
Are they underneath the car or like underneath the bumper sidemarkers? It feels like what you are saying is right because that is where they are getting caught up.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It is behind the bumper on the sides. Not really underneath, you have to get it from the fenderwell. Kinda hard to explain where. You removed the fender liner already right? if yes, reach behind the bumper from the opening.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hmmmm......... maybe you can just pry open the fender liner that is positioned closest to the bumper, and you will see the two nuts that needs to be removed. Check again, because I'm sure you missed those nuts. Because you already removed the one on the trunk, 3 on top and 2 bottom, so it must be the sides that are still holding the bumper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, you were right, I never even though of looking behind the wheel liner. Once I took those off the bumper came right off, now I'm driving around a Legend with no rear bumper. My latest mod, maybe I'll start a new trend ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the color on the bumper was faded real bad so I'm just throwing some new paint on it. It will look all good come friday. But then I'll probably have the whole front of the car take apart :p. By the end of next week though, I'll have everything done I think.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Shame on your bodyshop instructor. The first thing he should have taught you is to buy the Service Manual.
If you have already removed the screws/bolts from behind the rear splash shields, you need to remove the forward trunk trim (by taillamps) to check for upper bumper mounting bolts. On some Asian vehicles the cover is also attached through the lower quarter and access to the bolts is by removing (or loosening) the LT and RT side quarter panel interior trunk trim. There should also be two or more bolts under the side panels holding the bumper beam to the body. The bolts are under black rubber covers or hole caps. My HELM for the CPE shows 4 bolts. Don't forget to disconnect the license plate lamp assy. Buy yourself a HELM!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Usually, it is a whole lot easier to remove the entire assy and then remove the cover. Access to the cover bolts/screws is often limited.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Only trying to impart 8yrs of autobody knowledge and having been ASE Certified.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LPB said:
Only trying to impart 8yrs of autobody knowledge and having been ASE Certified.
Seriously though, you really think that it is easier to take off the whole assembly?? I don't really understand what you are talking about becaused I barely know what I'm talking about :p. I didn't mean to offend you, sorry.

When you say whole assembly, are you talking about the black bumper thing? Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts