Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever replaced the rear cam plug seal? Mine leaks oil. If so, please provide some instructions. I am deciding whether to do this repair and want to know how involved it is. I've previously replace the valve cover gaskets (sides and tops). Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No action on this query - still looking for advice. Anybody elses' rear cam plug leak? Maybe someone with a Helm manual can offer some thoughts.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leaks enough to pool on the bottom of the tranny and drip from there. Granted, it doesn't drip often. Is pulling the cam cradle a PITA? BTW, what is the cam cradle?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok Rick.... Here's from Haynes... (My Helm is at home and I'm at work.)

NOTE: Both camshaft seals should be replaced at the same
time, even if only one is leaking

1. Remove timing belt and camshaft sprockets.

2. Note how far each seal is seated in the bore, then
carefully pry it out with a straight screwdriver Wrap the
screwdriver with tape-don't scratch the bore or damage the
camshaft (if the camshaft gets damaged, the new seal will
leak)

Clean the bore and coat the outer edge of the new seal
with engine oil or multi-purpose grease. Apply Moly-based
grease to the seal lip.

4. Using a socket with an outside diameter slightly smaller
than the outside of the seal, carefully drive the seal into place
with a hammer. Make sure it's installed squarely and driven in
to the same depth as the original. If a socket of the correct
size isn't available, then you can use a short section of pipe.
After the seal is installed, make sure the garter spring did not
pop loose.

5. Re-install the camshaft sprocket and timing belt.

6. Run the engine and check for leaks

While you're at it, maybe paint the valve covers to customize the engine bay a bit....

Hope this helps.

Good luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you are referring to other seals. The rear cam end plug seal is on the end of the rear top valve cover. In other words, look where the distributor attaches to the front top valve cover and then look to the mirror image on the rear top valve cover. There is a semi-circular plug there. Have to remove rear top valve cover and then the cam cradle (whatever that is). Thanks anyway. If you get a chance, maybe you can review your Helm at home and then post your thoughts.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's the one !! Just took a look at my engine... Remember, they suggest replacing both at the same time and most of that process was for the front (Timing belt end) seal.... You will have to remove the engine support to access the one you are talking about... There is no "Camshaft cradle" listed... There is a one-piece bearing cap assembly that he may be talking about, but you don't need to remove it...

I screwed up when I sauggested to paint the valve covers while they were off.... They never got removed !! LOL sorry...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the correction. Wow, had no idea it was so involved. I thought I just removed the rear top valve cover and one other thing and drop the seal in. I can't see the seal at the timing belt. Where should I be looking for that one or is it under the black plastic TB housing? Where are you reading from in Haynes?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rick...
It's actually not as bad as it sounds, since you aren't going to have to worry about the torquing seques and correct torque since you don't need to remove the valve cover and bearing caps....

The seal at the timing belt won't be visible until you remove the black plastic timing belt cover and the timing belt sprocket... It's shown in picture 9.2 on page 2B-10. There is another picture as figure 9.4...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Yes it is as bad as it sounds. Call it a cradle , call it a bearing cap call it a pain in the ass.
Clean off the oil with brakeclean and smear rtv sealant on there and hope for the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts