Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about remaking my rear deck with MDF and mounting a pair off free air subs in it that would extend down into the trunk. I would have to cut holes in the rear deck for them but I think that not taking up any trunk space would make it worth it. I'm just curious if anyone has tried this or even thought about it and has anything to say. Any info on what to do or what not to do would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was thinking about trying this a while ago... but in the end, it turned out to be too much work for me. I was gonna try to squeeze in a 12" right between the 6x9s, but I couldn't squeeze it in past the 3rd brake light. I'm sure it could probably be done with a LOT of modification, but in the end it would sound pretty damn good. OR you could try what I did, a couple of people also have this setup, I just mounted a 12" freeair on a piece of plywood, mounted it right behind the rear seat, to the crossbars, with the armrest cut out. It sounds really good blasting right into the cabin. It's kind of the same idea but without as much modification. But if you want to put in the work, I'm sure the rear deck sub would sound and look pretty tight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of sub do you have, how much power are you giving it, and how does it sound? I'm really curious becuase I need all the trunk space I can get but I still want to have some nice bass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In my opinion, free air subs are not the way to go. They just don't hit at all. If you wanna add a little bass to your system and keep it pretty invisible, just get a 10" sub and put a small custom sealed enclosure in your trunk. The Legend trunk is plenty big enough to be able to hide that without taking up all your space.

-GR

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got a 12" pioneer vccs free-air, and i'm feeding it 150 watts rms. as far as the quality of the sound, this free-air setup bumps and thumps like you wouldn't believe. free-air DOES work if its done correctly and it saves a lot of space. it may not be for everybody, but I listen to mostly rock type music, so I like it tight and responsive. this setup gives me that. i guess it all really depends on what kind of application you'll be using it for. sorry, i don't have any pics of it, i don't have a dig. camera, but a friend does, i might borrow it and see what i can do.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actaully, you're right. It really does depend on the type of music you listen to. Free air might be great for rock and trance, but for hip hop and R&B type music, it really wouldn't be the best way to go. I didn't mean to put down your setup Hurricane, I was just speaking from personal experience. It's all love :p

-GR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts