Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you have had rust on the lips of the rear quarter panel. If so how much did you pay to get it fixed and how are you keeping them from rusting again. I had mine fixed, they had a little surface rust nothing major. They nailed me for 675.00. I undercoated them with 3m undercoating. I then heated that up with a heat gun until it was sticky. I then got the new rubber strips from acura put a little oil in the seem of it and put them back on. By heating up the undercoating and makeing it tacky, it molded the new rubber strips to the lips like glue. I kinda figured that this should seal them well and not allow all the contaminates to get inbetween them and the lip. I will however pull them off at least once a year and reinspect them to make sure that the do not start to rust again. What has everyone else done to prevent rustting of the rear quarter panel lips?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i know many accords have this problem, specifically the 94-97 models and the 92-96 preludes...
ways to prevent this... i'm guessing you live where it snows often? cause i haven't heard any complaints about rusting in the rear quarter panel from people in cali

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That Rubber Lip Thing THat You Put Back on the Car is the Root of your problem, because it holds all the salt, water, snow in there and starts to corrode the car...

·
Toronto Legends
184 Posts
That Rubber Lip Thing THat You Put Back on the Car is the Root of your problem, because it holds all the salt, water, snow in there and starts to corrode the car...
ye hes right. the rubber is the cause. im gonna remove mine once i get the rust out. anyone know if there is substitute that i can put on or any other solution?

peace

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Unless the topcoat has been compromised (damaged) corrosion begins in the inside. Whoever repaired the 1/4 panel should have discussed with the you the need for inner panel undercoating. You apply this using long wands. Trim needs to be removed. From the inside the panel, you need to undercoat the wheel arch area.

For exterior corrosion protection, you need to use a rubberized coating like 3M.

I have inner panel undercoated all of my cars (exception Corvette). None have quarter panel or door corrosion. The oldest is an 87 Maxima. 20 yrs in New England weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.