Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 RL (215k) is making a "shuddering" sound from the rear when going over rough terrain. I figure it is the strut(s) but my mechanic says the struts rarely have to be replaced, that it might be a mounting plate for the struts, which he says do have to be replaced more often. Bushings? Any other suggestions? I'd rather not replace the struts (major deal) and it rides very smoothly on the highway. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
check all the exhaust hangers, if they are worn or torn that could be it. on certain terrain I've got it in one of my cars from the replacement cat not being fit perfectly and one hanger strap missing. I thought I had a serious problem with the pass side rear wheel until I figured out what was actually making the noise. good luck

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts
If you disassemble your front and rear struts, you will find all bump stops (bushings) were become powder, caused by springs weaken. So the strut upper mount hits bump stop plate without bump stop bushing when you go over humps or potholes. You may have to replace all bump stops and rear springs too. OEM springs are too soft for the heavy RL, especially for rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts