Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often when I go over slight bumps in the road, there is a "crock" sound coming from the right rear, kind of like a piece of sheet metal being flexed (for lack of a more descriptive term). I haven't been able to crawl underneath to take a look yet, but I suspect it's the upper arm/ball joint. This is the only thing bolted to the body at or near where the area of the noise.

What's your take?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Check the bushings in the rear... They are probably dried up and cracked... try spraying the rubbers one at a time with a lubricant to find out which one(s) are making the noise... It is probably the bushings in the control arm ...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rear end creaks

My rear end creaks (lol) over speed bumps and dips in the road. Would this be shocks or bushings? The car does not bounce excessively like you would expect a car to do with worn out shocks to do. In fact, otherwise, the shocks seem to perform as they did when new. Shocks and bushings are all original.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just try spraying the bushings with lubricant... cheap way to find out !!

·
Registered
293 Posts
When we say "bushings", am I right to be referring to the small rubber bumpers between and around certain joints in the suspension? Do I just spray the rubber bushings or try to get the lubricant in the joints or what? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Jack up one side, grab the top of the wishbone and try to force it in and out. If there is any play at all replace the arm.

·
Registered
541 Posts
whoa! control arms? bushings? what? ok.. so whereever i see rubber stopper kind of things, i spray...with any kind of lubricant? will WD-40 work? I to have those creaks, pops and crocks whenever going around a slight turn. Only in the rear.

·
Registered
293 Posts
PSA, I am still learning and the suspension is a big weak point of mine. You say grab the wishbone - can you use the technical terms (e.g., upper arm, lower arms, etc). I have a Helms manual that I can figure from that what parts are given the technical names. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Sorry, should have said, where the knuckle assembly attaches to the upper arm. Usually it's the ball joint on the end of the upper arm that goes bad and makes noise. Pops apart on occasion also, then theres hell to pay.

G

·
I have a G2 but just browse the G1 forums from time to time cause there is still good info here. Well, I have the same problem on my car, and if it is the bushings does this mean that putting in an Ingalls camber kit in the front would solve my problems, cause isn't that what the camber kit is, just like an adjustable bushing. I guess I'm just really :confused:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I talked to a guy at my Kragen store, and he said Liquid Wrench would temporary cure the problem. However, to fix the crocking, squeeking problem, you would need to get the suspension Lubed. You can check to see if your car needs to be lubed by feeling for a metal "tit" somewhere? I didn't quite understand him, but if the tit is greased, then you know its still good. Otherwise, take your car in and have the suspension "lubed".

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does anyone know whether the G1 suspension can be lubed? If so, how? I assumed it was a sealed system in that it was lubed in production and not intended to be lubed after that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anyone know whether G1 can be lubed?

Are the ball joints just inside the top of the rear wheels (i.e., in the top of the wheel well)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts