Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
rear window defroster? RELAY QUESTION NOW!

my rear window defroster has been broken for some time now and i want to replace it since im moving to denver, co. who can replace it? do i have to get the WHOLE window replaced (with one that already has the defroster lines installed on it) or can i just take my car down to a dealer/shop and have them take off the broken lines and install new ones? the entire defroster thing doesnt work so i cant really get one of those repair kits.

-brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
1. Did you check the relay?



I am looking for more articles on windows....I think it would be pretty cheap to buy a new window...I use PPg autoglass...maybe there is one in your area...

I hope this helps for now...

g2girl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,106 Posts
The grid is bonded to the glass. We require more info. Does the switch indicator lamp activate when in the ON position? Check this and report back. Have you recently removed tint from the backglass? Problem could be: switch, relay, poor connector contact, or a broken grid line. The OEM glass is close to $800 at retail, not including labor and the adhesive kit. Used glass is less than half. Aftermarket backglass is less than OEM, but still expensive when compared with a windshield.
 

·
*r**h *eller
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Sometimes it's a broken trace on the window caused by improper cleaning (wiping up and down instead of side to side.). Examine the defroster traces very closely looking for a break (Of course if it's the entire panel you only have to look at the primary traces). Small ones can sometimes be repaired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
g2girl said:
1. Did you check the relay?



I am looking for more articles on windows....I think it would be pretty cheap to buy a new window...I use PPg autoglass...maybe there is one in your area...

I hope this helps for now...

g2girl
well i dont know what to look for.... how can i tell if the relay is broken? also if its deemed to be broken where can i get a replacement one?

LPB said:
The grid is bonded to the glass. We require more info. Does the switch indicator lamp activate when in the ON position? Check this and report back. Have you recently removed tint from the backglass? Problem could be: switch, relay, poor connector contact, or a broken grid line. The OEM glass is close to $800 at retail, not including labor and the adhesive kit. Used glass is less than half. Aftermarket backglass is less than OEM, but still expensive when compared with a windshield.
the switch imdicator light DOES come on when i activate the defroster. the tinting on the window is original, im going to get new tinting in a few days but want to get the defroster working before hand.

Dave C ver2.0 said:
Sometimes it's a broken trace on the window caused by improper cleaning (wiping up and down instead of side to side.). Examine the defroster traces very closely looking for a break (Of course if it's the entire panel you only have to look at the primary traces). Small ones can sometimes be repaired.
from what i can tell the entire grid is intact.

we're getting there....

-brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i determined that it IS the relay under the hood... one of the prongs on it is burnt to a crisp. anyways im having a hard time finding a replacement relay. i went to autozone and they didnt have any, i need to replace it with a honda specific relay i guess.

i found these on ebay:

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826416669&r=0&t=0)
its exactly what i need, physically. do i need to worry about the wattage of the relay at all? ive replaced relays in non-import's before and wattage mattered, but im assuming it doesnt for hondas. will this relay work?

thanks guys for your help!

-brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just called the dealer and they said the part was $30. the ebay ones right now are going for $.99 each!


-brandon
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top