Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 Coupe (automatic) trans is about to give up the ghost I think.

When it is cold (and only when it is cold) going from any gear into Neutral or Park results in a TERRIBLE gear grinding noise that lasts anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds.

As soon as I make a lap or two around the block, it no longer does it.

First of all, does anyone know the technical reason for this?

Second, who has rebuilt or replaced their G1 auto trans? Could you share you experiences with me?

-FurBall

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I have just had my 88 Legend Coupe Tranny replaced... for a second time...in two months. When I heard that rebuilding it would have cost just as much as getting it replaced the first time, I would have to say go with the rebuild. The way I did it meant that, yes the defective tranny was covered under the 6 month warranty. but the labor wasn't. So I had to pay the labor twice. If I had done the rebuild I would have been able put a decent warranty on the tranny with the labor included in that. It's really a crap shoot either with those imported trannies. In my case I lost. I have heard people have great success with them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saimerej-

Forgive me for my thick headedness....but I am a little vague on what you said....

Did you get a replacement tranny...to the tune of a Used Japanese one with some miles on it?

If you don't mind my asking, what were the parts and labor costs involved?

Thanks!!

-FurBall

·
Registered
308 Posts
Furball,
Call 909-941-9020 and ask for Gil. Tell him you are a member of the Legend forums and explain your problem to him. If he can't help you fix it then can also provide you with a quality remanufactered unit at a reasonable price. He's been busy lately so has not been posting on any of the forums so if anyone has his email that might be an easier way of contacting him. I'm not sure but i THINK it's [email protected] good luck

Regards.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Furball,

I attached a .zip file (which is actually .wav since I don't think it's allowed on this site) that could be the sound you are experiencing. I have the same problem with my car, it's been that way for at least 5 yrs. This leads me to believe it's something external that can be remedied. From reading different posts I have gathered it may be due to dirty/clogged solenoids (4 in all). Since symptoms only occur when cold, I think because the tranny oil is more viscous until warmed. It cannot freely pass throught the solenoid screens, and, it causes various components to grind temporarily. The colder it is, the longer the grind. I haven't confirmed this, since I am too lazy to take out the solenoids to clean them myself. But it's a good bet and a cheaper alternative than replacing the tranny at once. Others may have the post on how to remove/test the solenoids if you want to go this route.

Good luck

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts