Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i have a 94 acura legend and i want to get a new deck, speakers, sub, and amplifier. I dont want crazy car shaking or even for other people to really notice it. I just want it to be REALLY clean and DEEP base. I also want speakers that are also CLEAN. and ya graphics on my deck doesnt matter. I just want a good combination. im willing to spend about 800 mayb more just for parts. i have 6 1/2 in front and 6 x 9 in back so ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
slik33 said:
Yes i have a 94 acura legend and i want to get a new deck, speakers, sub, and amplifier. I dont want crazy car shaking or even for other people to really notice it. I just want it to be REALLY clean and DEEP base. I also want speakers that are also CLEAN. and ya graphics on my deck doesnt matter. I just want a good combination. im willing to spend about 800 mayb more just for parts. i have 6 1/2 in front and 6 x 9 in back so ya.
For quality, you'll need to save up more cash. I like Eclipse, MB, and Alpine headunits. Be prepared to spend over a grand for parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright

alright then im going to save up more like 1500 mayb, but ya around there can you give me some ideas like some good speaker models and subwoofer models and good decks and amps lol. thank you. Also Gsteg if you kno the parts please let me kno the cheapr the better lol. thank you again,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
GSteg said:
$800 is definitely doable

but im' too tired to list the parts right now so i'll be back later. lol.
you can do something with $800, but not much....i mean do you want crappy products or good stuff????

gsteg- other than your alpine HU it doesnt seem like you went with upper end products.....i mean maybe you wanted just a nice head unit and thats it??? for me i'd rather buy all around good products.

My Eclipse HU cost $800 by itself.....just to give you an example.....my JL component speakers in the rear were $300 and the 3 way components in the front were $400.....my jl 300x4 amp was $400 and the eclipse 8 disc cd changer was $300....the wiring was about $150 and the custom fiberglass ran around $600....and thats not including the labor.....

oh yeah and the boston acoustics i wanted were $1000 for just 2 way component speakers....i was like hell no
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
jigga622 said:
gsteg- other than your alpine HU it doesnt seem like you went with upper end products.....i mean maybe you wanted just a nice head unit and thats it??? for me i'd rather buy all around good products.
Wow. That really shows how much you DON'T know about car audio.

:rolleyes:

Just because the brands aren't mainstream it doesn't mean that they aren't good. If you don't think that his stuff his "high end," than you REALLY are not qualified to talk. I'm sure if I told you I used Adire Audio products you'd say it wasn't "upper end."

Let's see. His DEI 1100d is one of the top amps out there. It was used to set a world record in dB Drag in 2002. Team BS Extreme hit 177.7dB with that same amp(64 of them anyway). This was a certified score in Extreme 13+ class. This record I believe still holds today as THE loudest certified score in the world. Not upper end? Please. :rolleyes:

Those Vifa and Dayton drivers. Where do I begin? Vifa and Dayton drivers are very popular with the DIY component guys. These brands win SQ competitions bud. Dayton drivers rival Seas Excel drivers. If you had any idea what these were you'd take that back really fast.

Now on to Image Dynamics. His sub, which I'm sure you are not too familiar with was one of the three original super subs. The Adire Audio Brahma, Image Dynamics IDMAX, and the JL W7 were the three original super subs. Elemental Designs also jumped on with their A series line. Image Dynamics is not only known for their subs. They make superior HLCD's. Just to let you know the potential of these bad boys, his front stage when it is perfected will put any component system to shame including yours. Horns are super efficient and can get disgustingly loud while maintaining sound quality.

Arc Audio is next. Arc Audio make some very high quality electronics. Although their subs are mediocre, their amps and processors are top notch. If you think your stuff is expensive, wait until you see the retail prices for this stuff.

I don't want to be a total dick, but that comment you made was totally ignorant.
:rolleyes:

Jigga, I'll admit you have nice equipment. I personally run JL Audio and Alpine myself. However, I'm gonna guess that you tried to build a "sound quality system." There is one major flaw with your setup. A good sound quality setup will have a front stage that comes from the front. Why did you run components in the rear? Rear fill drags the sound stage backwards and ruins imaging. Here's a couple of tips for rear fill. One, is don't run it. Two, don't run it high-passed. Honestly, it seems like you just went out and bought a lot of expensive equipment without much thought to how you'd set it all up.

Don't take this the wrong way. I respect GSteg a lot for his audio knowledge. Which is why I'm making this post. There are very few people I would take audio advice from. He has proven himself. ;) He has a lot of experience in the SQ realm and I have a lot of experience in the SPL realm.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
I'll suggest a few things.

Sub stage:
12" Adire Audio Shiva (www.adireaudio.com)- 125 shipped new OR Infinity Perfect 12"
12" Prefab box ~ 50shipped or so
US Acoustics 4085 ~ 180 dollars or so (Bridge the rear channels for about 250 watts)

Front Stage:
Using the two channels left with the US Acoustics amp:
CDT EF-61's - 150 (http://www.thezeb.com/p-CDT-Audio-EF-61-6-1-2-inch-Component-System-108381.htm)

Throw in a wiring kit for about 30 bucks or so. You'll have around 265 bucks for a deck and other small things. Oh, screw rear speakers and save your money for other stuff as well. It will be far from the best, but it will make you happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
jigga, i don't pay retail. I have friends who works at stores and some are even wholesalers.


now if we were to compare retail prices just to see who's system is better, it would be worthless just because it's not a valid way to compare.


i don't want to claim my stuff is better than anyone elses because mine isn't the best, i know that for sure.


Maybe some of the stuff i have is not familiar to some people, but i would consider some of the stuff high end.

again, not looking for a E-fight, just making my points.



back to topic, slik33, i would go with the system that 94Lcoupe provided. i'll look into it more for you, unless you already decided what you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
I don't think he said it had to be "mainstream" to be good.

Personally, I go for SQ rather than SPL. Not much into how load you can boom your car, but rather quality.

I personally like my buddies setup of Focal Utopia driven by McIntosh MCC602TM's and MCC301M amps. Strange....but the sound is incredible. No, it won't blow the window seals off your car, but the soundstage is jaw dropping. He had a custom crossover made, which cost more than the speakers, but this is what really made the difference.

The equipment listed below would certainly blow the $800 budget to pieces....

94LCoupe said:
Wow. That really shows how much you DON'T know about car audio.

:rolleyes:

Just because the brands aren't mainstream it doesn't mean that they aren't good. If you don't think that his stuff his "high end," than you REALLY are not qualified to talk. I'm sure if I told you I used Adire Audio products you'd say it wasn't "upper end."

Let's see. His DEI 1100d is one of the top amps out there. It was used to set a world record in dB Drag in 2002. Team BS Extreme hit 177.7dB with that same amp(64 of them anyway). This was a certified score in Extreme 13+ class. This record I believe still holds today as THE loudest certified score in the world. Not upper end? Please. :rolleyes:

Those Vifa and Dayton drivers. Where do I begin? Vifa and Dayton drivers are very popular with the DIY component guys. These brands win SQ competitions bud. Dayton drivers rival Seas Excel drivers. If you had any idea what these were you'd take that back really fast.

Now on to Image Dynamics. His sub, which I'm sure you are not too familiar with was one of the three original super subs. The Adire Audio Brahma, Image Dynamics IDMAX, and the JL W7 were the three original super subs. Elemental Designs also jumped on with their A series line. Image Dynamics is not only known for their subs. They make superior HLCD's. Just to let you know the potential of these bad boys, his front stage when it is perfected will put any component system to shame including yours. Horns are super efficient and can get disgustingly loud while maintaining sound quality.

Arc Audio is next. Arc Audio make some very high quality electronics. Although their subs are mediocre, their amps and processors are top notch. If you think your stuff is expensive, wait until you see the retail prices for this stuff.

I don't want to be a total dick, but that comment you made was totally ignorant.
:rolleyes:

Jigga, I'll admit you have nice equipment. I personally run JL Audio and Alpine myself. However, I'm gonna guess that you tried to build a "sound quality system." There is one major flaw with your setup. A good sound quality setup will have a front stage that comes from the front. Why did you run components in the rear? Rear fill drags the sound stage backwards and ruins imaging. Here's a couple of tips for rear fill. One, is don't run it. Two, don't run it high-passed. Honestly, it seems like you just went out and bought a lot of expensive equipment without much thought to how you'd set it all up.

Don't take this the wrong way. I respect GSteg a lot for his audio knowledge. Which is why I'm making this post. There are very few people I would take audio advice from. He has proven himself. ;) He has a lot of experience in the SQ realm and I have a lot of experience in the SPL realm.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
Legendtoo said:
Personally, I go for SQ rather than SPL. Not much into how load you can boom your car, but rather quality.

I personally like my buddies setup of Focal Utopia driven by McIntosh MCC602TM's and MCC301M amps. Strange....but the sound is incredible. No, it won't blow the window seals off your car, but the soundstage is jaw dropping. He had a custom crossover made, which cost more than the speakers, but this is what really made the difference.
I think everyone first starts out wanting SPL, but once they start to lose their hearing and mature a bit more they turn towards SQ.

Focal Utopias are amazing. Focal drivers in general are very well made stuff. The only gripe I have with them is sometimes I think the tweets are a bit harsh, especially the TN-47's.

I think McIntosh has one of the highest dollar/watt ratios. If I was a baller like you I'd be running them too.

I think to a certain point with high end amps, it's just preference. I mean it's just how the sound is colored. I'm a firm believer in a watt is a watt. I mean no one has won Clark's challenge yet. Don't bother trying to win it. Many people have tried, all have failed to win the $10,000.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
yeah i'm not saying all "brand names" are the best....i'm just saying of what i went with.....

in my opinion....most people can't "hear the difference"...meaning most of the brands out there are good enough....

if i could go with any stereo system, i'd go with eclipse all around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you

Thanks the replies guys. Any more ideas would be great if you guys dont mind like Gsteg. Also any good ideas on decks and im not too good with speakers and audio but with only 2 speakers in front does that mean the pwer will be greater in them and fill my whole car and make it sound nice lol. thax for the help once again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
More

Also i like the equipment but what do u mean my bridge the rear. Im gonna have this guy i kno who runs a audio company do i just tell him to bridge rear channel from the amp? and thax oh ya and is this amp adququantly giving the power to the subs. Is there a lil better one not to question ur intelignce. I just read the wattage and it sounded weak lol. How about the 2150 x amp because in the future i might want to upgrade or is that amp bad, it has a lil more power
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
Those amps are rated at 12.9v. When your car is running it should be around ~14.4 volts which means more than that. That sub doesn't need more than 300 watts to sound good. Remember to build your system from the front to the back, not the other way around. This means start with a better source, then move to a better sound stage, and then finally the sub stage. It annoys me when people get subs on a stock source and speakers and blast it. It sounds like ass because the stock speakers are distorting like mad, and all you year is boom boom boom. :****:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
the power is enough to make most good entry level products sound good. however, I'd stay away from US Acoustics. dig through some reviews and you'll find out that US Acoustics amps are usually overrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
claus44 said:
the power is enough to make most good entry level products sound good. however, I'd stay away from US Acoustics. dig through some reviews and you'll find out that US Acoustics amps are usually overrated.
I've read them before. Some people have had good experiences while others haven't. I personally haven't had a problem using them for other peoples' systems. The only gripe I have is that the gain and xovers suck major balls.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top