Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
My coupe always reaches redline at each speed, maybe just because previous owner added performance stage I chip it to make it reach to redline, maybe u need to add chip on your car. Stage I chip cost him 1,500 dollars. Im thinking about upgrade it to stage II with some mods to do.

G

·
Yeah, it was really wierd when I saw Alik driving and I noticed that his sedan didn't go all the way up to the redline. Makes me wonder if he somehow has like a Type-I ECU in his car or something so that it thinks his redline is 6200 because that's what it looked like where it was shifting at, unlike my coupe where it shifts everytime at like 6700-6800 or something like that. I can't wait to get my chip pretty soon.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
You can at least rule out a TYPE I ECU. If that were so, his TCS system would shut down and that light on the dash will light up. Maybe a good 3X tranny change with Honda ATF can clear things up a bit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
what do you mean by "just before redline" Are we talking a hundred RPM below redline? If so, isn't it possible the tach is simply lagging a little behind the true engine speed? If it is 1000 below, you might have an issue. My GS will hit redline in each gear, although I haven't seen it hit it in 4th.....yet.

Put in in 2nd gear and hold it to the floor. See where the RPM limiter kicks in. I should bounce up and down right at redline as the computer cuts the fuel.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JackRabbit said:
what do you mean by "just before redline" Are we talking a hundred RPM below redline? If so, isn't it possible the tach is simply lagging a little behind the true engine speed? If it is 1000 below, you might have an issue. My GS will hit redline in each gear, although I haven't seen it hit it in 4th.....yet.

Put in in 2nd gear and hold it to the floor. See where the RPM limiter kicks in. I should bounce up and down right at redline as the computer cuts the fuel.
I think it was around 6500 when it shifted. I'll try again to make sure.

G

·
shahavchik said:

I think it was around 6500 when it shifted. I'll try again to make sure.
I actually think that it was more like 6300 :(. I bet that it was the TCS, that makes sense kinda.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
JackRabbit said:

I did that once, my 2nd gear actually went into RED ZONE haha 7k or so, so I shifted it to D3 manually haven't tried it again

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JackRabbit said:
Alik,

Hate to say it, but I just tested mine this morning. Right up to the redline in both 1st and 2nd while in D4.

Don't know what to tell you.
what do you mean "right up to ther red line? does it actually shift on its own at some point at the red line, or you have to release your foot?

·
Registered
170 Posts
right at the 6700 mark, just kept the pedal to the floor and never let go....until I hit third gear since I was on an arterial street!

I know this is a silly question, but just in case: Are you pressing the gas all the way to the floor? You know that the pedal feels like it is at the floor, but if you press harder it goes about another 1/2" down. If you don't have it truly slammed to the floor, it would shift early.

Does anyone know why cars do that? You can even see some sort of black bladder under the gas pedal that gets depressed when you press really hard. I know Audi's and VW's also have this "two stage" pedal? What is the point? What is that first "stop" point supposed to be telling us?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.