Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hated the licence plate placement on top of the front bumper, so after some retard backed up and hit me yesterday and broke the licence plate holder, I took the whole thing off.

I am worried about getting ticketed for not having a front plate, so I wondered if anyone has figured out a way to mount the plate below the bumper.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
ChrisK had his plate mounted under the bumper. I don't quite have mine under the bumper, but it isn't where it covers the bumper. I simply flipped the license plate bracket upside down and secured with longer bolts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey legend GS, nice grill man where did you get that paint for it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
well...my 95 has never been ticketed for not having the front license plate, so the previous owner says. I've heard that it is a popular "secondary offense", so basically if you're speeding, and missing it, cops are more likely to pull you over than if you're just speeding. However, the chances of getting pulled over for just the plate is pretty unlikely, you have to basically be riding a cops tail and get them to notice it's missing. If you get one parked, then it's a fix it ticket.

On another note, cars like porsches don't have them, nor is there anywhere they can put one on the front end. How does that work then?

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
i rememver someone used their best friend the zip tie. You just zip tie it in the lower grill. But in florida you dont need a front license :D Clean look all over. I just need to remove the braket on the front of my car.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
LegendGS said:
ChrisK had his plate mounted under the bumper. I don't quite have mine under the bumper, but it isn't where it covers the bumper. I simply flipped the license plate bracket upside down and secured with longer bolts.

Here is mine.

I did the same for the NSX

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
natelam,
the reason porsches amd such don't have plates on the front is because in most states if the car doesn't come with a front plate bracket from the factory, it isn't required to have one

·
Registered
840 Posts
Got to love florida!! :D Only need a rear one!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Legend GS and ChrisK,

Got some long bolts and turned mine upside down, thanks !

I cheched and in Canada it's a $110.00 ticket for driving without a front licence plate .... regardless of the car !

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
rawdog805 said:
ChrisK post up a DIY... For that I want to do that to mine when I get my 94-95 Bumper...
Well, really it is simple. There is no long DIY tutorial to be made;) Basically, you only need 2 washers (Maybe) and to L brackets. You do realize that the OEM license plate bracket is bolted in by the two bolts under the bumper right? Just use those same bolts and holes to mount the L: bracket to the car. Then, drill the appropriate matching holes where the license plate holes are and bolt the license plate to the L bracket. That is all there is to it.

Here is a picture of what I did.

As for the NSX mounting, I am actually a little ashamed how I did it, but it turned out great and nobody can tell what I did inless I tell them. What I did was take and old license plate and bent the top edge to the correct height that I wanted the license plate to hang down. It happeds that the license plate holes line up exacly where the NSX mounting bracket holes are so it was a direct bolt in. I then just drilled holes in the license plate that is acting as an L bracket and mounted the plate I supposed to use. This was actually done only as a temporary solution because I ran out of metal to make L brackets, but it worked out so perfectly that I left it. Plus is was 100% free and easy.:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
so if your car didn't come with a bracket, then it's not required to have one in CA? that doesn't make sense, my used legend didn't come with it on the car, nor was I notified by the owner that it came with a bracket...and they can give me a ticket for that while I'm parked? something doesn't seem right about that. It almost seems discriminatory in a "who's got more money" kind of way, Porsches, new Benz coupe, Jag coupe (my neighbor has both), all of which don't come with factory front plate bracket...but all of us with "lower class" car's are required to have them? I'd like to see the actual legislation on this if anyone has it.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
The actual law states that if two plates are issued by the DMV, then two plates must be displayed. There is no stated exception.

I'm pretty sure that these other cars also have brackets; they just don't put them on.

BTW, the Legend isn't a lower class car. It's an older upper class car. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts