Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really interested in getting one for my 88 Coupe 5 Speed.

I have heard of two different ways of bypassing the clutch so the car will start and think that the clutch is down.

A particular alarm I am looking at on ebay is made specifically for manual transmissions. In order for it to work properly, its says that once it is installed, you engage the parking brake, put it in neutral, take the key out of the ignition (the enigine will continue to run), then get out of the car, shut the door, and the engine will turn off. This way, the remote starter brain will know that it is in neutral, since you closed the door with the car running, and will start the next time you hit the remote start button.

I really don't want to use this, because its complicated, and because if you open door again after its ready to be remote started, this resets it, and it won't remote start if you try it next time. The only way to do is to do the whole "take the key out and shut the door while its running" thing..

The other way I have heard is to bypass the clutch interlock system. I don't anything at all about this, but Chrisk from the G2 forums said hes done this and it took about 30 seconds to do. I would assume if you did it this way, you won't have bother with the whole shut the door with the car running thing.

What I would like to know is if any of you have done option #2, if it worked properly, and exactly how it is done.

If worst comes to worse, I will do the other thing with the engine running deal, but if option #2 can be done, then I would def. opt for that.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I just tried starting the car in neutral without the clutch being down, and it worked! Wouldn't this mean that I wouldn't have to bypass the clutch switch, since there is none? And just be able to use a regular remote start/alarm for an automatic trans?

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pete said:
Update: I just tried starting the car in neutral without the clutch being down, and it worked! Wouldn't this mean that I wouldn't have to bypass the clutch switch, since there is none? And just be able to use a regular remote start/alarm for an automatic trans?

Thanks

Pete
sounds like sound thinking to me.
I'd recommend the Bulldog alarm system that I'm running. They have a remote start option although I'm not using one (just alarm). I got it from www.jcwhitney.com for $70 and it has a LOT of features. Think the remote start was just a little more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bukowski for the suggestion. I actually will probably but it from ebay. I can get a crimestopper or ultrastart remote start/alarm combo for around $80-$90 shipped.

Thanks again

Pete

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another update: I went up to my local car audio place, Audio Works, and asked them if they would install the alarm/remote start combo for me. They said they could only do the alarm, b/c there is a certian liability issue there with the remote start.

They want $125 for the alarm to be installed, and they said they could do everything on the remote start but the starter hookup for me, and I would have to hook that up, and they would give me the exact instructions how do so, so they wouldn't be held responsible if the car were to start in gear and f up the car infront of it or somthing.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts