Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Folks,
I have question...can you take out the odometer/speedometer cluster without removal the rest of the dash. My odometer doesn't work. I replaced the VSS cause the speedometer was acting up but it didn't fix the odometer (speedometer works). Both trip and regular odometer doesn't work so I don't think it's a bad cog. I thought about taking the cluster out to see if the connection was loose or if the motor was stuck. If all else...replace with a working odometer. I rather not remove the entire dash because I might put it all together again.

Thanks,
Won

·
Registered
819 Posts
One need remove only the driver's side lower dash to access the two retaining screws for the instrument cluster. Extend the steering wheel if
you need space. There is a dash replacement DIY that shows the steps
if you can locate it; the pictures may be absent now. Ask for help along the
way if you want some answers.

Start with this link:
Acura Legend Online Service Manual (Page: 0817)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yah, you can replace speedometer. Follow the link above to remove the cowl, you'll want to disconnect the electrical connectors as well. The cluster is held in by 4 screws, then disconnect the electrical connections on that and the speedo cable. You have to take apart the cluster to switch the sspeedometer, but its not hard, I did it on mine because my speedometer was not working either and it was the problem.
A couple tips-
check all your bulbs while you got it apart
Make sure the plastic warning light covers are seated correctly when you put it back together
Grease your speedo cable to keep it from squeaking

-Paul

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yah, you can replace speedometer. Follow the link above to remove the cowl, you'll want to disconnect the electrical connectors as well. The cluster is held in by 4 screws, then disconnect the electrical connections on that and the speedo cable. You have to take apart the cluster to switch the sspeedometer, but its not hard, I did it on mine because my speedometer was not working either and it was the problem.
A couple tips-
check all your bulbs while you got it apart
Make sure the plastic warning light covers are seated correctly when you put it back together
Grease your speedo cable to keep it from squeaking

-Paul
Are you talking about G2? b/c there was no speedo cable in G2 cluster guage ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys...my car is a 1994 Sedan. I tried the link Boro provided but I am not getting any pages to load...it may be my internet explorer. I just get the "x" (top left) symbol which tells me the picture didn't load. Is a big difference between removing a G1 vs G2 instrument cluster?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
Is there a trick to removing the clip holding in the lower dash panel (top-right of the ignition switch)? I've done it many years ago and can't remember how to get it without breaking off. Got the 3 screws; that was easy.

K

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is there a trick to removing the clip holding in the lower dash panel (top-right of the ignition switch)? I've done it many years ago and can't remember how to get it without breaking off. Got the 3 screws; that was easy.

K
There is a screw behind the courtesy/fog/TCS switches to the left of the steering column. The entire switch assembly needs to be removed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
There is a screw behind the courtesy/fog/TCS switches to the left of the steering column. The entire switch assembly needs to be removed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yah, I got all 3 screws no problem and the lower dash is stuck on the top/right of my ignition switch. Isn't there a clip that needs to be removed? What's the best way to get it? Spent an hr. and it's not even lose :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.