Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have done plenty of work on my Legend GS and it just keeps getting better and better as I fix the little problems here and there. Well, now is the time that I have to get inside the door panel (front drivers side, front passenger side and rear passenger side; I assuming the same methods apply I just figured I should list them just in case).

Anyway, I HATE doing this, why you say? This is because I always end up either breaking those stupid plastic clips or end up messing up something with the door handle actuating rod (the rod, not the lock actuator). Well, I guess technically I am basing my experience off of taking of the panels to my 98 Accord, I sure hope the Acura is much easier to NOT damage when getting the panel off (as I have definitely got the patience). Can anybody point me in the right direction, either a DIY or their own experience?

Last thing, my Front Driver side door arm rest/main control area seems to have a plastic "peg-like" thing sticking out (near the power mirror controls), this seems to hold the arm rest/control section to the door, only its out about 1/2 inch, I sure would like to secure that to the panel, anyone know how or perhaps what part number that plastic peg-like piece is so I can order it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciate, thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
the clips acura used on the doors are nice ones. easy to pull the panel off without breaking anything. obviously undo the screws by the handle first. then i pry the bottom off, and using that little bit of space, i disconnect all harnesses. then i pull the whole panel out slowly, and lift upwards. then undoing the rod clips on the door handle can suck, but if you have someone to hold the panel in place while you use a screwdriver to get it off, its not too tricky.

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
Yeah, i've pulled my door panels off a couple of times, and the clips aren't easily broken if you take the panel off correctly. The only actual clips that can be broken are at the top of the door, right under the window track.

Pull the bottom of the door back towards you, and you'll eventually here 4 or 5 plastic clips pop around the perimeter of the panel. Once those are popped, there will only be a bit of resistance left at the top making you wonder (why the hell won't the panel come off) and may make you pull harder.

At this point, you have to pull the panel straight up (towards the window), and this will unclip the 3 or 4 metal clips that are by the window track without breaking or bending them. If you try to continue to peel the panel off from the bottom like you did with the other plastic clips, that's what will make you screw up those metal clips at the top.

Once the panel is off, all that's left is to disconnect all the wiring and pull off that door handle rod (just turn it sideways, and it'll fall out of the side of the yellow clip that it's sitting in).

Install is just the reverse: Reattach the door handle rod, reattach all wiring, place the panel down from the top so it catches those clips right by the window track. When the top of the panel seems flush with the window, then you can just push on the panel to pop all the smaller plastic clips back in.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
the clips acura used on the doors are nice ones. easy to pull the panel off without breaking anything. obviously undo the screws by the handle first. then i pry the bottom off, and using that little bit of space, i disconnect all harnesses. then i pull the whole panel out slowly, and lift upwards. then undoing the rod clips on the door handle can suck, but if you have someone to hold the panel in place while you use a screwdriver to get it off, its not too tricky.
The clips are very nice. I took my door panel off without breaking one vs. my chevy where many of them broke.

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
Yeah, i've pulled my door panels off a couple of times, and the clips aren't easily broken if you take the panel off correctly. The only actual clips that can be broken are at the top of the door, right under the window track.

Pull the bottom of the door back towards you, and you'll eventually here 4 or 5 plastic clips pop around the perimeter of the panel. Once those are popped, there will only be a bit of resistance left at the top making you wonder (why the hell won't the panel come off) and may make you pull harder.

At this point, you have to pull the panel straight up (towards the window), and this will unclip the 3 or 4 metal clips that are by the window track without breaking or bending them. If you try to continue to peel the panel off from the bottom like you did with the other plastic clips, that's what will make you screw up those metal clips at the top.

Once the panel is off, all that's left is to disconnect all the wiring and pull off that door handle rod (just turn it sideways, and it'll fall out of the side of the yellow clip that it's sitting in).

Install is just the reverse: Reattach the door handle rod, reattach all wiring, place the panel down from the top so it catches those clips right by the window track. When the top of the panel seems flush with the window, then you can just push on the panel to pop all the smaller plastic clips back in.
It doesn't get any better than this description. If you cant take the door panel off after reading this, you have no business working on your own car. Good stuff---

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DaddyMac, those are great instructions. Yeah, when I removed the door panel on my 98 Accord Coupe there were clips everywhere, half of which broke and fell inside the door right when they broke free, that is why I was so reluctant to do it to the Acura. However, thanks to all of the info I have got from you fellow members it seems as though the Legend's are much easier to deal with (and much more difficult to damage, thanks again everyone.

·
city slicka
447 Posts
i think your more likely to break the plastic tabs when you put back the door panel.... well at least for me cause i tend to bang the door panel back to the metal frame, sometimes the plastic tab arent 100% aligned with the holes and with my mighty force they bend/break.... but do not worry dude! you can get those plastic tabs at the dealership for about a buck each.... easily replaceable

·
Registered
7 Posts
changing driver interior door handle

Man oh man. Driver door handle broke at the hinge and could not get out of the car for a couple months unless rowing down the window and opening the door from the outside. In winter, it can be wet. After reading the thread on how easy it is to remove the door panel I had to do it myself. The Acura dealer wanted $238 for a new door handle assembly. What a #$? rip off. I found a salvage for $10. I had to study the way to remove the door panel and some of the commets about "shouldn't repair your own car" if you couldn't take off the door panel. I have to tell you, I do a lot of handyman stuff and I didn't want to f..up the door. But it was like they said, a smooth easy "pop-off". Take the two screws off from behind the handle plate, the two screw in the arm rest, and the rest is as reported. The bottom of the door has grooves where you can pop off the plastic bolts with a screw driver, lift upwards and off she comes. It took 30 seconds after the bottom all popped off and lifting upwards. Didn't break a thing. After unfastening the wire door release, the door came off with more room to work on it without having to unlatch any of the wire harnesses. The door handle assembly came off easily with 4 screws for the seat controls and the door unlock switch, and a quick change and we were in business again in 30 minutes. I am sure the dealer would have asked another $100 for labor. Thanks everyone for postings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts