Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like tinted windows, but I always loved the way Legends looked without tinted windows. That on top of the fact that my 17 year old tint looks wavy from inside the car (like looking across new blacktop on a hot sunny day), it was time to start removing the tint. I did the 4 door windows during my last 2 lunch hours.

I plan on doing the rear window very soon with these online instructions Car Tint Removal - Removing Window Tint by Auto Media, but noticed the tint is between the glass and my rear window brake light.

How do I remove this brake light so I can cleanly remove all the tint? I have tried searching...

Thanks, John

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think you're gonna have to take the whole rear deck and pillars off to remove the tint anyways.

1) Remove the back seat (4 bolts)
2) Remove rear pillars... a trim panel removal tool or something to pry with will help, becuase these pillars get brittle on some older cars.
3)Remove rear deck lid. I believe you will need to pull upwards on it first, to remove all the plastic trim pieces that keep it on the deck. Then you will have to pull the deck out towards you and it will come out.

Now you can easily remove the brake light (I havent acutally removed it but i have done steps 1-3 before and I believe the 3rd brake light is just a couple of clips and/or screws to remove... it looked simple) and gain a lot more access to the corners of the rear window.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IAmLegend - Thanks for the heads up. I just took a much better look at it and you appear to be right. The 3rd Brake is not a separate piece from the deck and even if it was the window tint goes underneath the rear window trim, etc. Looks like I have more work than I first thought. Dagnabbit. :giggle:

Has anyone successfully removed the rear tint and saved your defogger lines?

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
I have heard of installers using hair dryers or hot air guns to get it pulled up on one corner and just working their way across.
This does work, especially if you do it on a hot sunny day outside so there's heat buildup on both sides of the tint. I've also seen people using steamers once they get a corner lifted to get steam under the film and get a clean separation. You will still have to do painstaking cleanup work along the defroster elements with a fine blade if you don't use steam. Unles your tint is just so old that it wants to fall off!

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have removed my tint last summer and what i did was use a steamer for the rear windshield.

then for the sticky glue i used the steamer and a towel to remove the steamer made the glue really soft and jus wiped accros with a towel and everything came off the defrost works fine. no blades or anything.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everbody for the suggestions, I decided to pay the Tint King on Central Ave at the Schenectady/Colonie, NY border do it.

I took a good look at the job and I would have to remove the rear seat and the rear deck and moldings and speakers, to do it properly, just to get started! Then it take 2-4 hours to remove the tint (warming in the sun, etc) Then we are talking about 17 year old tint.

Being a father of a 4 year old and 9 month old twins, I do not have time to spend 4-6 hours on my rear window tint. Well worth the $100 I paid. It came out great (defogger works). The shop was great guys and they said it took them twice as long as normal and I should be glad I did not try to tackle it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.