Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Call me Mister
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was spraying oil based wood stain (Penofin) on our fence, and the wind carried it over to the car. Now there are many small droplets of stain on the finish. I haven't tried to get it off yet, but I'm wondering if there is a solvent based wax or something I could try.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
It's oil based.. likely could really mess up your finish. You shouldnt clay bar until the thing is clean first. So I would wash it and then clay it.

Whats wrong with putting effort into cleaning a car?

· Registered
10 Posts
I am a former paint chemist and dealt with wood coatings and automotive finishes- use mineral spirits on a test panel. Don't bath the car in mineral spirits, but spot wipe where the damage is done. Most wood coatings that are solvent based are made with mineral spirits, so it should dissolve the overspray. Keep in mind you will be removing any coat of wax you may have so get ready to get a coat of wax on as well. The mineral spirits shouldn't hurt the auto's urethane as long as your wipe it off quickly. Aliphatic Naptha works well also. Just test an area first for safety. Have one rag for the solvent and one for drying (wipe on and wipe off Danielson).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.