Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, some of you may have read a post where my remus was stolen. Luckily I save my old muffler in the shed.

Okay, now let me take everyone up to date.

My remus arrived 1 week ago. I took off my stock exhaust, swapped the rubber and hung the Remus. Now it came time for me to match the flange with the cat back pipe flange and it was a no go.

The cat back pipe has a lip (about 1/4 to 1/2) inch lip where the pipe extends past the flange. The flange off my stock muffler clearly accomodates the cat back pipe's lip - the match is perfect.

Now, I spoke with KC of KCtrends and he wants me to post a thread on the forum and ask if anyone has (not had fitment issues) but paid attention to their remus flange during an install to see if perhaps the flange off my Remus is an odd ball.

I can't retrieve this information from my memory about my old remus because I wasn't paying attention - but I do know that it bolted up just fine.

I do have pictures that I can email someone if they are willing to have a look at them. I just need input.

Bottom line... my remus flange is flat as a ruler and my stock muffler flange is curved inward with the actual pipe recessed so the remus won't bolt up but the stock can will.

KNLNGUS

I would like to point out the CEC does indicate BOLT ON - and for $480 I expect to get what I pay for as opposed to cutting off the lip of the cat back pipe.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For coupes, the Legend specific Remus bolts right on. However, for sedans, I recall that there is a two or three inch gap between the remus and the cat where a custom piece of piping needs to be installed. I do not have a sedan, but I do remember people talking about this a long time ago.

The piping should not cost much at all. The Remus is well worth a little extra $.

Perhaps someone with a sedan can give a better description of what needs to be done.....

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have elaborated a bit.

I did originally have the Legend specific Remus on my Coupe and I bought a replacement Legend specific Remus for my Coupe.

the problem is that the flange on the remus is flate and will not accomodate my stock (OE) cat back pipe.

To those out there with the Legend specific Remus - do you remember whether or not your cat back pipe had a lip on it (1) and (2) did the flange on your Legend specific Remus accomodate said cat back pipe lip.

KNLNGUS

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
BLF said:
For coupes, the Legend specific Remus bolts right on. However, for sedans, I recall that there is a two or three inch gap between the remus and the cat where a custom piece of piping needs to be installed. I do not have a sedan, but I do remember people talking about this a long time ago.

The piping should not cost much at all. The Remus is well worth a little extra $.

Perhaps someone with a sedan can give a better description of what needs to be done.....
You are getting the GReddy and the Remus mixed up. The Remus should be a direct fit and is the same for both Coupe and Sedan. The GReddy is an imported Trust exhaust renamed under the GReddy US name plate. Unfortuantely, GReddy only imports the Coupes exhaust, so the Sedan in this case will need the extention. In Japan under the original Trust name; however, the exhausts has a Sedan and Coupe application.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I think the Universal Remus doesn't even come with a flange that bolts one. You have to have everything welded on by a muffler shop.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chrisk, thanks for clearning things up for BLF.

Yeah, I'm sure they shipped the correct Legend Specific exhaust. The remus is identical to my previous one - except for the flange. Everything lines up - except for the flanges.

What I am looking for is someone who might be able to tell me if thier stock cat back pipe also has a lip (muffler pipe extending past the flange 1/4 to 1/2 inch) AND also whether or not their remus flange accomodates such a protrusion.

KNLNGUS.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really do appreciate you sending me that link... I think that I have run across it before... but anyways....

In the first picture of the cat back pipe flange... you can see the tube protruding past the flange. This protrusion is NOT maluable and is the stock tube so it won't recess with pressure when bumped up against the flange from Legend Specific Remus torqued down with fresh nuts.

I can understand slight fitment issues but CEC verrified its is BOLT ON - and for me that is $480.00 of pure knee deep
B U L L S H I T .

Now bare in mind... I installed the original remus a few full moons ago and have come to the conclusion that the Remus flange MUST have accomodated the stock Cat-Back flange - because I wasn't experiencing this back then.

I was talking with KC at KCtrends and he said that someone placed an order for the BOLT ON Legend Specific Remus 1 week after my insurance gave me the authorization to reorder and I hope that if any of YOUz placed an order and are currently awaiting a remus that you will look at the flange of the REMUS and compare it to the stock exhaust flange (on your setup) before you unhange the stock muffler and hang the REMUS cause if you don't do that and they don't match up (BOLT ON) then you will be like me... scratching your head and saying W T F.

KNLNGUS

BTW... I recently took a good look at a cat back pipe flange from a 93 and let me tell you... its the same at my 95 cat back - so its not that my OE cat back pipe is an abnormality... More like this BOLT ON LEGEND SPECIFIC REMUS is the abnormality.

More news to come...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Koji_H - d a m n - now you got me thinking overtime.

Okay, I opened the remus box and the remus can was wrapped in corrigugated paper and then the chrome end had its special factory wrapping. there was no gasket.

Okay.. let me get this straight. A gasket is supposted to exist between the cat back pipe and the exhaust. W T F - Koji_H - you are right - I do see that a gasket is supposed to exist between the two - but I have a strange feeling that its not going to work - because...

To me... if indeed a OE gasket exists in the system (as it in fact does) then there is a purpose for the tube protruding from the cat back pipe flange AND there is ALSO a purpose to the round edges and inlet of the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust flange is very accomodating whereas the remus is flat. On the remus all you see is the flange and then a hole (which is the exhaust tubing that leads to the muffler). There is no accomodating a gasket on that side.

I say this... and please bare with me. If this gasket is supposed to act (essentially) like the the gasket that exists between the A pipe and the cat. Then there is no way in hell its going to fit.

Cause the gasket (in the picture) looks like its suppose to be slipped over the pipe that protrudes past the oe cat back pipe flange and then into the muffler flange (where the edges are tapered on the OE muffler flange).

Bottom line... I will order the gasket and then try to line them up (again) and report back to the forum. I just have little confidence that the gasket is my answer.

KNLNGUS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts