Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to change my exhaust sometime in the near future and after reading the legend.org info and listening to what others here have to say, sounds like REMUS is the way to go....

However, they are pretty pricey and so I was thinking of my options to keep the cost down. From what I hear I can get either the legend specific remus or the universal.

1st, are the actual mufflers the same on the specific and universal??
2nd, how much could I expect to save by going the universal route? even if I did save $$ by getting the universal, is it worth it after I spend the extra $ to have a shop install the universal? (I'm sure the universal would cost more to install than the legend specific since its not a straight bolt on like the legend specific - right??)

I want to save money, as I'm on a tight budget these days, however I also understand the principle of "Do it right the 1st time".

Any info from those in-the-know would be great!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
614 Posts
dont get the universal.. they are only rated up to 160 hp or so.. Do it rite the first time.. save you trouble in the long run.

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
actually the 160 we hear so much about seems to be the KW rating, when converted to hp, it is 201.5hp. I forget who pointed this out a lil while ago, but the universal should hold up fine. The only disadvantages are the install would be custom, muffler will be louder than the legend specific, and it might not yield as much hp gains as the legend specific. Hope that helps.

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do that, however, I'm located in Canada, so I'm sure it'll be higher than that. Its always stupid money to ship stuff to Canada, then you get dinged at the border too...... ARG.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Well it was a long time ago that I saw the KW rating on the universal, but I remember it converted to way less than 200 HP because I wanted to see if it would work also. Just look at the universal then at the Legend specific unit. There is a significant size diffrerence.

By the time you do the cutom pipes and hangars you wouldn't save any money, even if it did have the capacity.

One good way to foul up a decent car is to do mods on the cheap. Save your bucks until you can afford to do it right.

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, thats what I figured (not saving any money and ending up with something just not right).

I just wanted to confirm that the actual mufflers were not the same (if they were I would have been more tempted)...

I'll wait a while and do it right.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Can you get a Stromung B-Pipe and a Remus muffler and put them both together and work well?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was told it was rated at 160 by a remus rep at their booth at the la autoshow.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Well it was a long time ago that I saw the KW rating on the universal, but I remember it converted to way less than 200 HP because I wanted to see if it would work also. Just look at the universal then at the Legend specific unit. There is a significant size diffrerence.

By the time you do the cutom pipes and hangars you wouldn't save any money, even if it did have the capacity.

One good way to foul up a decent car is to do mods on the cheap. Save your bucks until you can afford to do it right.
I was the one that posted the theory on the Remus because the pamphlet that came with my remus "legend" specific was rated in kW. I will try and find it when I get home. As for the calculations it seems pretty accurate:

1 kW = 1.34 HP

Therefore, the muffler rated at 150 kW (I always thought it was 150) would = 201 HP

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What's this 160 HP BS!?!?

I've been running a universal just fine for almost half a year now. I don't get this 160hp bull**** I hear about this muffler.

I once posted about this topic in the past and will argue my point again.

If you get a universal Remus, it'll only increase your performance as it is alot more free flowing than a stock muffler.

Can anyone justify this 160hp limitation for me?

Again people, I don't see how the universal can PHYSICALY restrict your exhaust!!!?!? Compared to a stock muffler, the Remus is ALOT MORE free flowing and offers higher performance. Just physics tells you that alone. In a stock muffler, your exhaust pipe enters the muffler and ENDS in the muffler wehre the exhuast builds up in there and then exits the muffelr from the new pipe in there. Here is a quick illsutration using text:

_________
/ \
--------------- |
-> --------------- |
| ------------------ ->
| -------------------
\_________/

Remus:
\____________/

Also the universal remus connects with a 2.25" piping which is what Legends have.

If the Remus is only good for 160hp... then the stock must only be rated for something like 100hp, what on earth is Honda thinking putting 230hp through it then!?

Guys, plain and simple, the stock muffler handles 200hp/230hp (depending on yoru car).. the Remus is ALOT more free flowing, alot better built, how can it only handle and be restricted to 175hp?

I also can't see how one can rate a muffler depending on HP. HP is not directly related to the amount of exhaust and the pressure of the exhaust. A car can have higher horsepower than a car that lets out more exhaust.

This is my 2 cents.

G

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Godfather, how do you like the universal Remus? How does the sound and performance compare to the legend specific?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just a question about Remus

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for their cair being too loud with a Remus exhaust?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Octane said:
Godfather, how do you like the universal Remus? How does the sound and performance compare to the legend specific?
I love the sound of my universal Remus and there's definetely a "seat of the pants" performance increase. However I also have to point out that my entire exhaust system from the manifolds to the muffler is custom stainless steel 2.5" piping with all my cats removed. The actual sound I'm getting will be a little different than someone running stock exhaust piping and cats.

I cannot make a comparison to the legend specific cat-back system as I have never installed one before or heard/driven someone else's car that has one.

G

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
jose3030 said:
Can you get a Stromung B-Pipe and a Remus muffler and put them both together and work well?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This 160HP is BULL****!!! Octane, this will answer your question...

I completely agree with Godfather on this one. I too have been running my Universal Remus for a while now and I have seen a great increase in HP as well. Octane, you are doing absolutely nothing wrong or bad to your car by installing a Universal because being "universal" only means that it can be installed on more than one type of car. Any aftermarket muffler for that matter is better than stock therefore don't believe everything you hear about the Legend specific being a better buy. Alot of the users here will insist that you get the Legend specific however since you are Canadian like myself, I'm sure you've come to realize by now as I'm sure many other fellow Canadians have, is that with shipping, the US conversion & duties, to purchase a Legend specific Remus would run you over $1000.00CAD! Realistically, who would be stupid enough to spend $1000 on just a muffler!!!

The universal however is significantly lower in price ($300US approx) and you will not pay any more to have it installed as compared to the legend specific. Most muffler shops will probably charge you less that $100 for everything since all that is really required is to have a little bit of piping bent and welded to the muffler and cat (or wherever you want then to connect it from). I got mine installed for $60.00 at a local shop and plus another $30 to have them use new stainless steel piping from the catalytic converter back to the muffler.

If you are tight on funds, by all means go with the universal. I've done the research already for you since I asked myself the same question and my conclusion was that the Legend specific is not worth the money and shipping hassles and additional costs involved.

Also, since there are only VERY few companies in the US that can even get this muffler (since I'm almost 100% Remus no longer produces them anymore). Don't be surprised of you get a quote from KCTRENDs which is more that they originally quoted you. Low supply, high demand... They can call any price they want since they too know that the Legend specific Remus is hard to get.

The only true way to tell if the Legend specific is better than a Universal is to take two identical cars with identical mods and dyno them, one with a Universal Remus & the other with a Legend specific Remus. Unforetunately, we don't live in an ideal world so it's impossible to compare the two. Therefore, it's up to you to decide if you want to waste your more or be smart with it.

That's my 2 cents... Good luck.

theGodfather said:
I've been running a universal just fine for almost half a year now. I don't get this 160hp bull**** I hear about this muffler.

I once posted about this topic in the past and will argue my point again.

If you get a universal Remus, it'll only increase your performance as it is alot more free flowing than a stock muffler.

Can anyone justify this 160hp limitation for me?

Again people, I don't see how the universal can PHYSICALY restrict your exhaust!!!?!? Compared to a stock muffler, the Remus is ALOT MORE free flowing and offers higher performance. Just physics tells you that alone. In a stock muffler, your exhaust pipe enters the muffler and ENDS in the muffler wehre the exhuast builds up in there and then exits the muffelr from the new pipe in there. Here is a quick illsutration using text:

_________
/ \
--------------- |
-> --------------- |
| ------------------ ->
| -------------------
\_________/

Remus:
\____________/

Also the universal remus connects with a 2.25" piping which is what Legends have.

If the Remus is only good for 160hp... then the stock must only be rated for something like 100hp, what on earth is Honda thinking putting 230hp through it then!?

Guys, plain and simple, the stock muffler handles 200hp/230hp (depending on yoru car).. the Remus is ALOT more free flowing, alot better built, how can it only handle and be restricted to 175hp?

I also can't see how one can rate a muffler depending on HP. HP is not directly related to the amount of exhaust and the pressure of the exhaust. A car can have higher horsepower than a car that lets out more exhaust.

This is my 2 cents.

G

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, we got a real debate here - this is great!!

Ok, SaGe69, I'm also in the Tdot, so I was wondering where did you get yours done? what did they charge you for the universal, and how much was the grand total after installation and taxes??

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I got my muffler installed at a place called Melody Muffler on Old Kingston Road & Military Trail in Scarborough. It was very close to my house plus I've known the guy for a long time so he was able to hook me up. I bought the actual Remus muffler brand new from a guy who had it posted it on Ebay for about 1 hour before I intercepted him and convinced him to sell to me privately and close the auction. Because he knew nothing about the exhaust he was selling I was able to get it for $150.00US brand new! Talk about a steal!!!! So I guess MY grand total was roughly $300.00CAD for everything. Obviously yours will be different. Good luck with your decision.

SaGe69

Octane said:
Hey, we got a real debate here - this is great!!

Ok, SaGe69, I'm also in the Tdot, so I was wondering where did you get yours done? what did they charge you for the universal, and how much was the grand total after installation and taxes??

Thanks!
Dave

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Well glad to see people here have so much more experience with exhaust systems than a major european manufacturer.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Well glad to see people here have so much more experience with exhaust systems than a major european manufacturer.
hehehe, that was funny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts